after steak dinner, friend has thick vomit that almost choke

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:41 pm

that almost choked him. He says he had to “work” to get it out.

And two hours before, my friend had taken a little less than half a marijuana gummie. He estimates about 20 milligrams.

It’s a Delta-8, which now is pretty much legal across the United States. But don’t fool yourself. It’s real marijuana, with real consequences.

Then my friend went to a sports bar where he had 1 mixed drink and the steak dinner, as well as an iced tea with the dinner.

He walked to a convenience store, felt a little sick to his stomach right before he walked in. But still, he went in and bought some chocolate. As he had less than one chocolate bar as he walked to another pub. But felt sick there decided to pack it in and call Uber.

Wish he had never gotten into the Uber car.

The motion while driving set off the proneness for sea sickness which the marijuana seemed to have caused. He vomited in the Uber car, nicely into his sweat jacket the best he could. At one point, the driver asked, Sir, are you okay? The driver was very nice.

But at a couple of points, he was almost not okay. The vomit came up just fine till his throat where it then seemed to stick. And again, he had to “work” it with something like a cough and/or a clearing of his throat to get the vomit out.

The marijuana also made him about to go to sleep, combined with less than eight hours the previous night plus the big meal.

Says he never would have gotten in the Uber.

Says he should have just kept walking. Wish he would have gone back to the convenience store and purchased a Pedialyte or a sports drink or just a water, and slowly nursed on it.

If you need to throw up, don’t throw up thick. And keep walking in a calm, steady fashion.

Your advice please.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 05 Feb 2023, 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 12:46 pm

Don't have drugs or alcohol would probably be the best solution to this. I don't understand why people think drugs and alcohol are the be all and end all then expect sympathy when they're ill.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 4:10 pm

First and foremost, I want people to know that “thick vomit” is a thing!

And I don’t know if I’m sympathetic, I guess I am. Maybe just concerned and glad he’s okay.

And really, 1/2 a THC gummie and 1 drink with some kind of rum, sounds pretty moderate to me. Maybe it was the mixing of the two.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 11:04 am

https://nchmd.org/health-library/articles/art-20056637/

The heimlich maneuver may not work the first time, so KEEP TRYING and KEEP FIGHTING.

And your fist, held by your other hand, is positioned just above the person’s belly button, and then you make a FIVE HARD UPWARD THRUSTS. Other sources say only your thumb is above the navel, which means the rest of your fist is pretty much on top of the belly button.

So, for you next set of 5, try a smidge lower or a smidge higher.

For the BACK BLOWS, you first SUPPORT THE PERSON’s CHEST with one hand and then you give HARD BLOWS BETWEEN THE SHOULDER BLADES with your other hand.

As you KEEP FIGHTING, you’ll get used to hitting their body. And I think you’ll naturally want to do it harder SO THAT IT WILL WORK.

And therefore, DO THE NEXT SET OF 5 HARDER for both the upward thrusts and the back blows. That’s what the patient needs. :D

==================

PS Please note, I’m not a doctor or nurse. But I am interested in first aid matters.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 11:59 am

Are you sure the thickness was because of the gummy?
I've never heard of that happening for any reason.

Are you sure he doesn't have some sort of throat infection starting?
Could the gummy have been laced?

Hope he's OK now.

Heimlich: I needed it from a waitress when I choked on celery.

There's also a method of how to do it for yourself if you're alone using a table or chair.
It's at the end of this video.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 12:55 pm

I sense that your friend should see a doctor.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:04 pm

I will tell you what a vegetarian friend told me: Steak and any type of potatoes lay in your stomach like a big blob of snot. It takes different digestive juices to digest and the enzyme used to digest the meat counter-acts with the enzyme used to digest a starch like potatoes.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:12 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
First and foremost, I want people to know that “thick vomit” is a thing!

And I don’t know if I’m sympathetic, I guess I am. Maybe just concerned and glad he’s okay.

And really, 1/2 a THC gummie and 1 drink with some kind of rum, sounds pretty moderate to me. Maybe it was the mixing of the two.

Personally, I wouldn't anticipate any connection between the small dose of THC and the thick vomit.

Aspinator wrote:
I will tell you what a vegetarian friend told me: Steak and any type of potatoes lay in your stomach like a big blob of snot. It takes different digestive juices to digest and the enzyme used to digest the meat counter-acts with the enzyme used to digest a starch like potatoes.

This sounds possible, after all it's basically how you make/thicken gravy.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Heimlich: I needed it from a waitress when I choked on celery.

I’m very glad that you’re okay. :jester:

I’m glad the waitress had both the knowledge and the confidence to jump in there and help.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Just as you say, the end of this video shows how to use the Heimlich on yourself. This is also good to know.

Now the beginning recommends not using back blows. Which to me shows that different sources can have different health info, just like pretty much every branch of human knowledge.

I guess I’ll say, Okay, do the Heimlich Maneuver first, do the 5 upward thrusts. And if is doesn’t work, then do the 5 back blows. And keep cycling between these two methods.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 3:25 pm

marijuana gummie —> proneness to motion sickness

steak dinner —> thick stomach contents

riding as Uber passenger —> the actual vomiting

============

Looking on the web, marijuana causing “greening out” with nausea and other symptoms is a known phenomenon. This being the U.S. term.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 12:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I sense that your friend should see a doctor.

Doctors don’t like history items [other than the most dramatic like heart attack or stroke]. They like to focus on the here and now.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 12:24 pm

Don't know about the thick vomit but I could never mix alcohol and marijuana at all. Individually, no problem. Mixed, instant vomit.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 11:11 am

Aspinator wrote:

Honest to gosh, I’ve read that this is an urban legend.

All the same, restaurant meals are generally unhealthy. The big portions first and foremost. For example, my friend had a 10 ounce sirloin steak, rice pilaf, and green beans [with bits of bacon added to the green beans!]

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 12:33 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikiho ... my%3famp=1

So, your fist should be right above the belly button.

And regarding the blows to the back—
“Back blows are a forceful motion with the heel of your hand between the person's shoulder blades, when he is bending over so that his trunk is at least parallel to the ground (this way, if you successfully dislodge the obstructing object it will fall with gravity out of the victim's airway).”

Plan A is 5 heimlich upward thrusts and 5 blows to the back. And alternating sets of 5 between the two of these.

Plan B is an emergency tracheotomy.

So, let’s work the hell out of plan A first! :D