Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:44 am

do autistic people have a hard time remembering to clean their teeth?

i spend alot of time grooming myself so i do clean my teeth every day but my front teeth are weird but luckily my top lip covers all my top teeth so they only visible when i really smile which isnt often

my two front teeth have a little gap between them and look like rabbit teeth so im glad they are not visible when i talk

cuckold808
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2023, 6:19 pm

I always get cavities in my teeth, I often have good hygeine when it comes to clothes hair and skin but my oral hygeine is bad. and I feel guilty because even though insurance covers half the cost, my own mother pays for the other half.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 1:25 am

Very, very, good.

But I still need $9-10k of dental work between 2 teeth. :roll: (One implant, one root canal & crown)

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 3:24 am

Ever since I went to the dentist at age 22 and had a whopping great filling, I've been brushing twice a day. Especially so when I had braces at age 25-27. My housemate barely brushes at all and I'm afraid it's going to catch up with her.

I need to book a checkup soon plus a scale and clean.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 3:37 am

Not good.

For reasons.

It's less about forgetting about dental hygiene, but more like there's no consistent time for it.
It's basically what my life has been so far and yet hopefully that would end soon.

And that lack of consistency gave me so much stress -- even when to eat and when not to -- to brush my teeth meant I won't be eating anytime even after eating, and that brushing would waste it.
And that stress gave me a consequently this emotional eating.

That gave me least 5 broken molars. All currently untreated.

Other than that, it's this accident at age 10. It broke my front teeth. I was sliding by the hall way, only for someone foot on a way and fell down.

Anyways.
An inadequate care for over 15 years me gave me an increasingly visible and worse overbite from stimming from it, and over 10 years long of chronic headache.

Never told anyone that there's this pocket of pus on the roof of my mouth along with the headaches.

Now I have a whole 4 upper front teeth missing, replaced by a tooth bridge.
No more pus pocket, no more headaches. Not even my dentist knew. This was during pandemic.

Why didn't it happen earlier?
I can't afford it. My parents can't afford it.

Why not just fix it now?
Same old answer -- I still can't afford it now.

Why not change my lifestyle?
The answer's the same -- I literally cannot afford it yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2023, 9:05 am

renaeden wrote:
Ever since I went to the dentist at age 22 and had a whopping great filling, I've been brushing twice a day. Especially so when I had braces at age 25-27. My housemate barely brushes at all and I'm afraid it's going to catch up with her.

I need to book a checkup soon plus a scale and clean.

I just want to point out a random option for some people. If your teeth are crooked and are in good enough shape you can straighten them at any age it seems.

In the U.S. we have the plastic trays that people wear. You basically have to brush your teeth every time you eat with those and it is not quite as easy as it sounds. You have to muster a whole another level of motivation for that. They are not necessarily easier than braces but probably more comfortable.

If someone can’t manage to brush their teeth and follow the protocol they recommend traditional braces. I only bring it up because I know I am blind to some options sometimes.

I do realize that dental health is more complicated than just brushing teeth. I want add one more thing. I believe the new tooth brushes have made a world of difference in the brushing of teeth. If you use a manual toothbrush you are missing out.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:40 pm

Also, I'm a mouth breather no thanks to chronic sinusitis.
Also untreated for most of my life until, like, basically last week -- for the same reasons why my teeth remains unfixed.

So there - I also likely have a form of jaw muscle issue in a way.

And that issue causes me sleep issues, that adds my stress levels, that causes more emotional eating, that causes worse dental health problems...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Ball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2023, 1:36 pm

I have a couple ultrasonic toothbrushes which are so convenient I can use them even if I'm already in bed. I just put some water in my mouth move it around. I'd have to be exceptionally lazy/tired not to bother :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 1:47 pm

I don't like cleaning my teeth, but I still clean my teeth because I don't want to get tooth decay. I have an electric toothbrush and I only clean my teeth once a day (before I go to bed). I don't see the point in cleaning my teeth twice a day. I do use mouthwash twice a day though.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 2:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't like cleaning my teeth, but I still clean my teeth because I don't want to get tooth decay. I have an electric toothbrush and I only clean my teeth once a day (before I go to bed). I don't see the point in cleaning my teeth twice a day. I do use mouthwash twice a day though.

:?

You realize we need to maintain oral hygiene to prevent tooth decay and gum disease, as well as bad breath, yet you don’t accept that we ought to brush our teeth at least twice a day :? Seems to be a bit of a disconnect there.

Brushing at night is important to get rid of all the food/drink on our teeth from the day so it doesn’t sit there all night growing bacteria that harm our teeth, and again in the morning to get anything we missed and brush off anything that did manage to grow in the night.. makes for healthier better looking smiles and fresher breath.

Seems very strange To Me not to brush at least twice a day. (More if consuming sugary things or freshening up before a date etc.)

Ball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2023, 2:16 pm

If you don't eat sugar/carbs your teeth won't rot fast at all. Most modern problems with tooth decay are due to diet.

I also only brush once a day and have excellent teeth. No fluoride, no toothpaste, but also no sugar/carbs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 2:21 pm

Yeah I didn't have a toothbrush until I was 16. I was just never introduced to one. But I never ate sweets and I've never had any cavities/fillings and I didn't even visit a dentist.

I actually brush twice a day these days and also use interdental brushes and mouthwash.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 7:58 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
You realize we need to maintain oral hygiene to prevent tooth decay and gum disease, as well as bad breath, yet you don’t accept that we ought to brush our teeth at least twice a day :? Seems to be a bit of a disconnect there.

Well I hate brushing my teeth, but I know I have to at least make an effort, so I thought I'd reach a compromise by only brushing once daily.

Last edited by Cornflake on 03 Apr 2023, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.: Fixed quoting - please make properly attributed quotes of others

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 8:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

Well I hate brushing my teeth, but I know I have to at least make an effort, so I thought I'd reach a compromise by only brushing once daily.

Once a day does it for me.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2023, 1:47 am

I brush and floss my teeth once a day (at night right before bed) and so far, I haven't had any problems from my current once a day routine.

I did have some interproximal cavities from not flossing at one point, though (because flossing with braces sucks and it's kind of hard to find interdental brushes and threaded floss in stores). Luckily, I'm supposed to get my braces off this May and when I do, my history of interproximal cavities is going to one of many reasons why I'm demanding removable Hawley retainers and absolutely refusing to have permanent retainers put in.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:11 am

I've never had trouble with my teeth. I never even get toothache. But some people my age do get cavities even if they brush their teeth every day.

Sometimes it's just luck of the draw. Some people have strong teeth. My teeth seem pretty strong. In fact all my bones seem pretty strong. I've never broken a bone in my life.