Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 10:47 pm

I been exercising when I can, during the lockdown of Covid, I loss around 20 lbs. I’m still trying to lose weight, I been keeping a weight chart in my iPad on my Notes. I used to go to the gym, I went to the gym for free, that was over 10 years ago, I could walk better, I loss 60 lbs. I been doing light exercises if you can call it that, I have bones in my ankle that never healed when I broke my ankle almost 5 years ago, my ankle healed, my bones didn’t, the same thing happened in my elbow. My Psoriatic Arthritis made my ankle stiff, both of my feet feel so tight that makes it harder to walk. I been doing leg lifts, sometimes I been doing more leg exercises, I wish I could do more, I been working my thighs too, I have a Thigh Master. You should not exercise if you have pain, right.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 3:16 pm

Depends on the kind and source of pain. Working out will cause some muscle aches, especially at first. It is ok to work out through them.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 8:42 am

TBH, there's a reason why it's diet and exercise. It's just shy of impossible to exercise to a thinner person without spending all your time doing it and having your diet dialed in. The diet aspect is usually where the actual weight loss comes from, the exercise in that respect is mostly about making sure your body doesn't fill the gap by jettisoning muscle. And even there, you're probably better off cutting 10% of the weekly meals rather than trying to cut 10% of the calories in each meal anyways. It's a lot easier, and as long as you're reasonably healthy shouldn't be an issue.

For most people, you'd be better off just lying in a warm bath tub for the hour than exercising, you'll burn more or less the same amount of calories. The main reason to exercise is that's how you build and maintain bone mass, muscle mass and get some of your brain chemicals restocked.

It's also a lot easier to justify, just throw some scented bath products if that's your thing and chill to some relaxing music for an hour or so every day, and you'll see more progress. It's certainly a lot easier for most people to convince themselves to take a hot bath than to go to the gym.

And yes, the no pain no gain thing doesn't mean that kind of pain. It's more like lactic acid and having to make some sacrifices to progress. Physical pain is usually a sign that something needs to be addressed. Either you're injured and need to some degree of PT or you're doing whatever it is wrong.