Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

RHCAX0
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2009, 8:47 am

Well, I've been thinking of becoming vegetarian since the taste of meat sometimes has something to it I deeply hate, dunno how to xplain it but makes me feel uncomfortable, any vegetarieans around here??? I need to find some good info so I woulkd like to hear personally from a vegetarian if it's easy to compensate the content in meat with a Vegetarian diet..

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 9:29 am

^^ Greetings RHCAX0. I started to become a vegetarian approximately three years ago, however at that time I still ate fishies. ^^ I believe this assisted me in trasnforming my eating pixies. ^^ Not I do not eat fish and do not find difficulty in not meating eating or fish. ^^ For protein, I believe baked beans are very happy with toast and perhaps use beans in mexican meals that you may eat. ^^ Also, Quorn mince is also very useful I believe for meals such as Spaghetti Bolognese or Chilli and also contains protein. ^^ I also happily consume iron tablets so that my little blood cells remain happy. There are also often many types of vegetarian sausage, including Quorn and Linda McCartney. I often eat happy Linda McCartney sausages. ^^ Therefore, I believe this happily assisted me initially. ^^ Also, I believe that pixies may purchase bean burgers that contain cheese and other vegetable.

^^ I do hope this is of help for you.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2009, 9:52 am

Protein is easy to get from beans, dairy, eggs, certain grains, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and most faux-meat products. [However, you will not want to rely strictly on faux-meats, because they are expensive and aren't always very healthy. Some are, some aren't. Taste also varies. Just because one product tastes bad doesn't mean all will- there are several products out there that are surprisingly realistic.] Since it doesn't sound like you plan on giving up animal products all together, you should still be able to get other nutrients (like B12) from eggs and milk products. Of course, there are non-animal sources for these as well. Do some research, there are plenty of sources online for nutrition/health information and also great recipes. Once you've done your reading, you'll likely find that vegetarianism can be very healthy and satisfying!

Best of luck!

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 11:25 am

why stop at vegetarianism? go all the way for vegan!

http://www.chooseveg.com/

that website has a lot of great help for changing to either a vegetarian or vegan diet. i'm happy being an omnivore but i love vegan food. a lot of people have a bad impression of veganism and vegetarianism and see it as a bunch of bland salads, bland bean dishes, and not-flavorful-enough-to-be-called-bland faux meats. i've seen and (unfortunately) eaten a lot of the reasons people think this. i've also had the great fortune to be exposed to vegan food cooked by people who enjoy cooking.

look for good vegan recipes that look appealing to your pallet and seem like something you wouldn't mind cooking. try a few out. a big change like going from omnivore to herbivore is often difficult even for animal rights people. if the taste of meat makes you uncomfortable, though, you'll probably have an easier time than most.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 5:10 pm

According to Tompkins & Bird's The Secret Life of Plants, living greenery reacts to damage or even the threat of damage with fear responses measurable on a polygraph. Trees, when cut down emit an ultrasonic scream (within the hearing range of mosquitoes) that can continue for up to three days as the tree lies dying. It's been known for some time that plants respond favorably to certain types of music, and adversely to others.

Knowing that vegetable life is conscious and sentient, how can you possibly put the remains of those living creatures in your mouth and grind their corpses between your teeth? That's sooo disgusting and cruel. It's bad enough that we inhale microbial bacterium every time we breathe, only to have them drown in our mucus membranes or be swallowed and burned alive in our digestive juices. Every living creature has the right to remain alive through it's natural life span, without being ghoulishly consumed by some other, bigger life form. Eating things is pure evil and should be stopped before everything on Earth is dead.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:01 am

That is the same point that Alan Watts made in "Murder in the Kitchen" - we have to kill other life forms to eat, and we are biased in recognizing animals (but not plants) as sentient as plants are more like us.

The original poster said that his interest grows out of a distaste for meat. If that distaste is a pure sensory response not conditioned by emotions or ideas, then it might be good to pay attention to it and stop eating meat. The body might be giving important feedback. If it is a 'bambi syndrome' or emotional squeamishness, then it should be examined as such.

hiker7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2009, 9:58 pm

I have no beef with vegetarians

(or any pork with them for that matter)

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2009, 5:29 am

I've been a vegetarian for 14 years - no meat (including fish or bird) and no eggs

And yes I'm aware that plants are alive too - however they're usually treated better than most animals are and therefore carry less bad karma :lol: :lol: :lol:

I refuse to eat meat or eggs because of the way the stoopid humies mistreat the animals - i will have no part in these cruel practices!! ! :roll: :cry:

I'm possibly healthier than many 40 year olds - the only supplements i bother with are extra B vits by way of energy drinks...

I'd like to go vegan but i like milk too much :oops: Least they dont kill the cows to get it out :roll:

Animals seem to like the fact that i dont smell like a meat eater....

And hell - eating veges does less damage to the planet - more energy per sqm of ground...

Go for it :D

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 7:39 am

Willard wrote:
According to Tompkins & Bird's The Secret Life of Plants, living greenery reacts to damage or even the threat of damage with fear responses measurable on a polygraph. Trees, when cut down emit an ultrasonic scream (within the hearing range of mosquitoes) that can continue for up to three days as the tree lies dying. It's been known for some time that plants respond favorably to certain types of music, and adversely to others.

Knowing that vegetable life is conscious and sentient, how can you possibly put the remains of those living creatures in your mouth and grind their corpses between your teeth? That's sooo disgusting and cruel. It's bad enough that we inhale microbial bacterium every time we breathe, only to have them drown in our mucus membranes or be swallowed and burned alive in our digestive juices. Every living creature has the right to remain alive through it's natural life span, without being ghoulishly consumed by some other, bigger life form. Eating things is pure evil and should be stopped before everything on Earth is dead.
Even if any of that were true, and not an urban myth started off by L Ron Hubbard, then it would still make more sense to be vegan than to eat animals. Every animal we eat has directly or indirectly consumed nine times it's mass in veg by the time we kill and eat it, so we might as well cut out the middle man (or cow, chicken, whatever) and be responsible for consuming far less vegetable material.

Of course, the fact that there is no scientifically accredited information that plants are sentient, but our own observation makes it clear that animals are should make it easier.

Oh, to the OP... I'm a vegan. It's easy. If you want to pm me for some recipe and menu ideas, feel free. That way you won't get silly comments about cabbages being traumatised when we eat them.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2009, 7:19 pm

mgran wrote:
Every animal we eat has directly or indirectly consumed nine times it's mass in veg by the time we kill and eat it

Waaay more than that!! !

An average adult cow eats 75kg (167lbs) of dry grass a DAY

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 3:41 pm

That's probably true... I'm basing this on old figures from the World Health Organisation, which rounded all the figures together. Cows are at the "eat a lot" end, chickens at the lower end.

A very interesting book if you are serious about finding out about vegetarianism is called "The China Study." Someone who is a self confesed vivisector, and has no desire to cuddle bunnies etc etc conducted the world's biggest epidemiological survey on diets. After looking at forty thousand people over twenty years, he decided to go vegan... for medical, not moral reasons.

It's a thorough read. I'd recommend it.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 3:41 pm

deleted double post