Besides cough syrup, what can relieve a sore throat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:03 pm

My throat is sore right now, but I don't think it's from a cold because I don't have any other symptoms. I don't have any cough syrup, and don't really want to get some for just a sore throat. Is there anything natural (aka something I'll find in my home) that I can use? Would tea or honey help?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm

any sort of hot beverage with honey and lemon usually works for me. my nana's version of a hot toddy (english thing) was a favourite when i was sick--this will sound weird, but try adding a little honey to some orange juice and then warming it up in the microwave. it tastes a lot better than it sounds. the traditional toddy i believe is honey, lemon, and gin. if i remember correctly, chamomile tea is also supposed to be good for a sore throat. mint tea would probably work, too.

hope this helps :)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:21 pm

Honey is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic. Personally I would skip the tea, and just get some squirt some squeeze honey straight down your throat

You can gargle salt water but that is not very pleasant. Don’t do what I did as a kid and mix salt into soda water :lol:

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:29 pm

Thanks :D I think I'll have my honey tea (I really want tea right now) and add a dash more of real honey just in case the honey that is in the tea doesn't work.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:44 pm

I have found the strong salt water gargle to really help if the throat is inflammed or raw. Just don't swallow it!

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 1:04 pm

Owwie! Tea did not help at all and the honey was making me feel nauseous. I'll try some salt water if my throat feels any worse, it's not too too bad even after the tea.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 1:13 pm

ebec11 wrote:
Owwie! Tea did not help at all and the honey was making me feel nauseous. I'll try some salt water if my throat feels any worse, it's not too too bad even after the tea.

make it fairly strong and lean your head back when you gargle softly. The idea is the salt will soothe the inflammation, so don't drink anything for maybe 15 to 30 minutes after you gargle.

asperin or naproxim sodium will also take down the inflamation.

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2009, 2:24 pm

Lemsip or a similar paracetamol-based drink (unless you're already taking paracetamol - read the leaflet!) is good. I also use honey and glycerin for a little pain relief.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2009, 8:13 pm

Ginger tea or thyme tea can help.

INTJ.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 6:45 am

The best thing I've tried for sore throats is Vicks chloraseptic throat spray. It's specifically for sore throats as opposed to being for "coughs and sore throats" or for "flu-like symptoms" and so on.

Also (as I'm sure you know) you can get pastils specifically for sore throats. I used to think the idea with these was to suck them and let the saliva slither down your throat (and so I viewed them as useless), but apparently it's the active ingredient entering your bloodstream that does the trick.

PS - I've always made my hot toddies with whisky, but I'm sure gin is just as good. :)

Interlude
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2009, 4:41 am

My Mom has two remedies that I regularily use :
- Salvia infusion
- Grog (much yummier!) : hot water, honey, rum, and a slice of lemon.

I'm also used to eating warm compote.
The problem with tea is that it makes my throat itch, not the best to cure a sore throat..