Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:05 pm

I really, really need to do something about my weight.

This is me back in 1992

I weight 180 lbs.

this is me today

Does anyone know anything about weight-loss in terms of working out and stuff?

Also, being 36, do you think my skin will have enough elasticity to shrink with my body mass?

Trwn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2009, 8:26 pm

Marriage worsens everything :)

Quote:
Also, being 36, do you think my skin will have enough elasticity to shrink with my body mass?

Yes

07 Sep 2009, 8:32 pm

Eat healthy, take half hour walks, do any work outs at home as you can like lifting up your leg when you are on the floor. You can check out some work out videos on youtube and you might find some that might show you what work outs you can do without having to go to the fitness center or having to use any exercising equipment.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:33 pm

Your skin will adapt and tighten up as you lose weight.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less than your body needs. You can increase your activity level through exercise, but you have to make sure you do not also increase your caloric intake. Obviously, good nutrition is important, too, but only for maintaining general health. Avoid all the usual processed foodstuffs, junk food, and empty calories.

Good luck.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm

go back and dig up the thread where we went through all of this when you joined TOPS.

I believe the concensus was to join Weight Watchers and develop a schedule of more exercise and less food. Little steps over along time equals big results!

good luck and get out there! :D

Phipe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2009, 11:25 pm

Get a urinary tract infection which spreads to the kidney, or the liver. It happened for me this january when i did not even were intended to loose weight. The downside is however, that you are gambling with your life. And the repetive bathroom visits.

michel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 2:53 am

I know a lot about weight loss, I work part time as a personal trainer. Sorry to say there is no magic secret to weight loss like in the commercials. You need to do cardio exercise, at least 20 to 40 minutes, at least 4 times a week, you can build up to that gradually, start with 5 to 10 minutes and build on that. The best is an ellyptical machine or cross country machine at the gym, they work upper and lower body. Or a good old fashioned rowing machine. If you don't belong to a gym, go biking or running with good running shoes (running can be hard on your knees). And do some weight training and ab exercises. Abs are very important, they are your core...

Diet wise, stop drinking sodas, even diet sodas. The chemicals, even in a diet soda, bind with fat and are deposited in your body. Your body basically hates everything fake, as it doesn't recognize it and doesn't process it properly. Cut down red meat and fatty stuff, and stay away from desserts unless it's pure fruit, which is delicious, like a bowl of berries. :P And no more fried foods! Fried food is gross anyway. So bad for you in so many ways.

And yes, if your weight loss is gradual enough, say 15 pounds a month, you should not have problems with skin resilience. Start today, the future is now!! ! :P :P :P

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:51 am

sinsboldly wrote:
go back and dig up the thread where we went through all of this when you joined TOPS.

I believe the concensus was to join Weight Watchers and develop a schedule of more exercise and less food. Little steps over along time equals big results!

good luck and get out there! :D

Not in TOPS anymore. They weren't offering any weight-loss tips and suggestions - just talking about award ceremonies, the state and national king and queen and I couldn't stomach having to chant some BS mission statement.

I just got on this weight-loss kick after seeing that high school photo. See, back then, I lost 70 lbs. over the course of only a few months. I wanna do it again!

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:57 am

michel wrote:
I know a lot about weight loss, I work part time as a personal trainer. Sorry to say there is no magic secret to weight loss like in the commercials. You need to do cardio exercise, at least 20 to 40 minutes, at least 4 times a week, you can build up to that gradually, start with 5 to 10 minutes and build on that. The best is an ellyptical machine or cross country machine at the gym, they work upper and lower body. Or a good old fashioned rowing machine. If you don't belong to a gym, go biking or running with good running shoes (running can be hard on your knees). And do some weight training and ab exercises. Abs are very important, they are your core...

Diet wise, stop drinking sodas, even diet sodas. The chemicals, even in a diet soda, bind with fat and are deposited in your body. Your body basically hates everything fake, as it doesn't recognize it and doesn't process it properly. Cut down red meat and fatty stuff, and stay away from desserts unless it's pure fruit, which is delicious, like a bowl of berries. :P And no more fried foods! Fried food is gross anyway. So bad for you in so many ways.

And yes, if your weight loss is gradual enough, say 15 pounds a month, you should not have problems with skin resilience. Start today, the future is now!! ! :P :P :P

you sir are my new best friend.

Talk to me a little about decent substitutes for soda other than water. I need to taste something, y'know?

It'll be so hard for me to give up the foods that I love like pizza, ben and jerry's and chinese take-out. My perceived lactose-intolerance should help with the B&J's

And I'm also gonna try - try like hell to quit smoking today.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 7:35 am

digger1 wrote:

Talk to me a little about decent substitutes for soda other than water. I need to taste something, y'know?

Crystal Lite. I live on the Pomegranate/Cherry flavor.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 9:47 am

what is the deal with pomegranate lately? Did they just find that it cures cancer or something?

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2009, 12:20 pm

Quote:

Soda is a BIGGIE to cut out. It's hard but you get used to it. For me, I love COKE (not pepsi!). I might have 1 every 2 weeks. I adjusted to drinking more water but sometimes desired some flavor. Instead I do the Vitamin Water from Costco (Kirkland knock-off brand, it's half the price of the "real" stuff). It has 0 calories.....

I don't know if you eat out a lot or not but sometimes it's hard to figure out how many calories your consuming. You can look up the "Weight Watcher Points" for many restaurants here: WW Points....it will help you make better selections.

dark4181
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2009, 3:04 pm

I used to weigh 320lbs. Back at the end of 2006 I had a health scare, hospital stay, etc. When I recovered, I decided to get healthy. I did some research and started the South Beach Diet in February 2007. I followed the principles outlined in the book to the letter. I did not exercise (though I now wish that I had) and by August 2007 I had reduced my weight to 190lbs, strictly by eating right. I cut out soda, sweets and fatty crap. Still, without exercise, the speed of my weight loss meant that my skin didn't contract very well.

I've fallen off the wagon since the beginning of this year, due to stress from life, and my weight has crept back up. When I start the regimen again, I'll be sure to exercise while I'm dieting. This time I'll really get in shape :)

Instead of soda, I drink water + crystal light (fruit punch and cherry pomegranate) and Liptons DIET green tea

As far as dieting goes, it only takes a bit of willpower. I got my willpower from a health scare. I advise you not to let it get that far.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 8:50 pm

digger1 wrote:
what is the deal with pomegranate lately? Did they just find that it cures cancer or something?

The pomegranate stops the plaque that builds up on the insides of your arteries and blocks blood flow. Not bad for a friendly little fruit.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 9:57 pm

You could also put a slice of fresh lemon or something in the water to add a bit of taste, if you don't want to drink the artificial sweeteners found in stuff like Crystal Light. Aspartame and sucralose make me bloat. :(

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm

michel wrote:

I'm struggling myself, but my weight has always gone up and down depending on what is occuring in my life it seems. How do you fight the urge for carbs when you feel depressed or anxious?

And I wonder what you know about artificial sweetners like Splenda. I've read some questionable things about this sweetner...