Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 210
Location: Somerset, UK

30 Jul 2009, 10:36 am

Im a massive football (soccer) fan (its by far my biggest interest), but have never met anyone with as/autism whom are particularly interested in footie. I can understand why they arent due to the socialisation, large loud crowds etc, but thought i'd give it a shot.

So, any other footie fans on here??



i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 Aug 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,675

30 Jul 2009, 10:46 am

Yes me. I love watching just about all sports. It's a pity I wasn't given a chance to play soccer. I can't wait for the new season to start. There are so many questions to be answered. Will the new Galacticos era bring Real Madrid any success? How will Man.Utd cope with losing C.Ronado and can any other team in the big four win the title? And of course will the richest club in the world (Man City) obtain any success? These are just but a few...



TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 518

30 Jul 2009, 12:44 pm

sunderland fan.



gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 210
Location: Somerset, UK

31 Jul 2009, 11:06 am

i_wanna_blue wrote:
Yes me. I love watching just about all sports. It's a pity I wasn't given a chance to play soccer. I can't wait for the new season to start. There are so many questions to be answered. Will the new Galacticos era bring Real Madrid any success? How will Man.Utd cope with losing C.Ronado and can any other team in the big four win the title? And of course will the richest club in the world (Man City) obtain any success? These are just but a few...


Yeh, same here, but i've started to follow the mls a bit this preseason, so it hasnt been to bad lol

This season will be extremely interesting up and down the leagues. In answer to your questions though, im unconvinced by Madrid. Once again they've bought some world class strikers, but their defense is weak in comparison, and would need more than just arbeloa.

I think it'll be between Chelsea and Man Utd for the title again, but not sure which of the two will end up winning it. Losing one of the best players in the world would obviously always weaken United but i rate Valencia very highly (but then again i did the same for nani before he joined) and think he will do well, so it wont be a great loss.

As for city, it was sensible of them to buy players from the premiership but it will take time for them to really succeed, and with hughes only really creating one side at blackburn its a risk. I'd be suprised if they finish above 6th this season.

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
sunderland fan


How do you think they'll do this season?

PS RIP Sir Bobby



TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 518

31 Jul 2009, 3:47 pm

if we can actually sign one of Bent or Chamakh I think we'll be fine. We'll avoid the worst of the relegation fight but won't swing a place in europe. V. impressed w/ Cana signing though, probably one of the better signings we've made for a while (esp. considering he has champ league experience), but won't quite set things alight from the start. He'll probably get the whole hangover of changing ligue 1 for prem at first but should be solid.

man city for relegation. They should know from the previous galacticos that it simply doesn't work.
Liverpool to sign one of Silva or Villa from Valencia after Alonso goes, my money is on Villa. If they do get one of them my money is on them for title and at least champions league final.
Man Utd 2nd.
Arsenal 3rd + FA Cup
Everton fourth (!)
Chelsea fifth w/ league cup
Sunderland 11th (optimistic punt)

La Liga
Barca for title and champ league final
Real Madrid 5th
At Madrid 2nd

Serie A
Inter to win everything

UEFA cup....english team in final, spanish team to win.

think I might get down the bookies..... 8)



skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 658
Location: England

01 Aug 2009, 6:32 pm

I’m interested in football. I used to be pretty obsessed with the game. I used to be quite a good player too.

I remember as a kid I used to spend a great deal of my free time either watching football videos (like “101 great goals” or “the history of the World Cup”), studying football statistics, or dribbling a sponge football around the house.

I played for my school and for a couple of clubs. I remember by the age of 14 I had become very introverted and was pretty much friendless, but I continued playing. My teammates accepted me; I just didn’t know how to interact with them.

I stopped playing after I left school. I spent the next three years slobbing out at university. These days it’s hard to believe there was ever a time when I was able to run around for 90 minutes without collapsing.

I used to get pretty heavily emotionally involved watching certain games on TV. I remember feeling rotten after seeing England go out of the World Cup on penalties in 1990 and 98.

These days though (I’m sorry to report) I’m really not that bothered. I can watch games for entertainment, but it doesn’t bother me who wins.
I haven’t paid much attention to the Premier League the past two seasons. The skill level is amazing, but it’s all become a bit predictable. Plus, the money they make is obscene.
Even the European Cup has become a bit predictable. Gone are the days when the English clubs would get knocked out in the early stages by clubs like Galatasaray and Rosenborg!

I’ll be interested to see how Real Madrid get on this season though. I don’t think they’ll manage to recreate the Zidane-Figo-Ronaldo years again any time soon though.
As for Man City, my hunch is that they won’t break into the top four.



skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 658
Location: England

01 Aug 2009, 6:35 pm

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:

UEFA cup....english team in final, spanish team to win.

think I might get down the bookies..... 8)


Now the UEFA cup is far less predictable than the European Cup.
I wonder how many people put money on a Ukranian team winning it last year.



JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 280
Location: Sydney, Australia

03 Aug 2009, 4:54 am

I can't wait for football (soccer) season - it's just next week in fact!

I'll try to go to as many Sydney FC games this season as possible - home matches of course. Well... could fit in a Central Coast Mariners away game!

Last time I went to a football match was 12th July - to see my beloved Celtic FC play against Brisbane Roar. It was the first time The Celts came to Australia since I was born, with their only trip here previously was in 1977.



i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 Aug 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,675

03 Aug 2009, 9:02 am

gassy wrote:
i_wanna_blue wrote:
Yes me. I love watching just about all sports. It's a pity I wasn't given a chance to play soccer. I can't wait for the new season to start. There are so many questions to be answered. Will the new Galacticos era bring Real Madrid any success? How will Man.Utd cope with losing C.Ronado and can any other team in the big four win the title? And of course will the richest club in the world (Man City) obtain any success? These are just but a few...


Yeh, same here, but i've started to follow the mls a bit this preseason, so it hasnt been to bad lol

This season will be extremely interesting up and down the leagues. In answer to your questions though, im unconvinced by Madrid. Once again they've bought some world class strikers, but their defense is weak in comparison, and would need more than just arbeloa.

I think it'll be between Chelsea and Man Utd for the title again, but not sure which of the two will end up winning it. Losing one of the best players in the world would obviously always weaken United but i rate Valencia very highly (but then again i did the same for nani before he joined) and think he will do well, so it wont be a great loss.

As for city, it was sensible of them to buy players from the premiership but it will take time for them to really succeed, and with hughes only really creating one side at blackburn its a risk. I'd be suprised if they finish above 6th this season.

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
sunderland fan


How do you think they'll do this season?

PS RIP Sir Bobby


Well, Madrid have bought Raul Albiol as well, but as you say there is not enough at the back to convince me. They played in the Peace cup recently and lost to Juventus, who scored two goals from attacking corners. Their defense looks shocking...

And now Ibrahimovic is at Barca, who knows what might happen there. Personally I don't think he's much of a team player. I hope Liverpool do well this season, but with Xabi Alonso about to leave, it could be another poor season for them. And as far as City is concerned, they will have a new manager by the end of the year. I don't really rate Hughes much.

Oh yes, it's sad to hear about Sir Bobby, me being a Newcastle fan and all. :(



thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,553

06 Aug 2009, 7:46 am

Fav team Celtic we finally win an away match in the champions league.


_________________
WRLL


pluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2006
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,752
Location: Paisley,Scotland UK

09 Aug 2009, 8:44 am

I've always been a football fan.I support St Mirren (so large crowds are not something I have to worry about too often :) ).


_________________
I have lost the will to be apathetic


Lorna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 19
Location: N. Ireland

06 Sep 2009, 1:00 pm

I play in goals. I'm terrible outfield but for some reason I have a talent for goalkeeping. When I was at school I joined a girls team to try and make friends but I never bonded with my teammates and all the opponents where nasty so I left. For the last couple of years though I've played 5 a side footie with my best friends fiancee and brother. I'm the only girl on the team and I've never played against any others so all the guys see me as a novelty and all the opponents are really nice to me and are always really shocked that I'm actually good.

p.s. My favourite Scottish team is Falkirk. St. Midden are crap and sign all our rejects :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

EDDITED: To be more offensive



AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
Location: Lexington, Kentucky, US

14 Sep 2009, 4:56 pm

I've became a fan of futbol de el mundo over this summer - it reminds me a lot of basketball, which is the most popular sport where I live. I've chosen Arsenal as my favorite EPL team.

They show 4 EPL or UNEFCA games on cable tv here. On Saturday morning there is one live game on ESPN and there are 3 or so reruns on Fox Sports in midweek, and usually of the best games.



AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
Location: Lexington, Kentucky, US

17 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

I've also became a big fan of the Cardiff City Bluebirds since I am partly of Welsh ancestry. (My paternal line left Cardiff in 1760). Go Blue Army!! I think they have a good shot at moving into the EPL next year



eroberts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 1 Oct 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 44
Location: Sheffield, UK

03 Oct 2009, 1:59 pm

Lifelong Sheffield United fan.

Had a season ticket for years now and go to as many away games as I can and is just about the only thing I like doing out of my house (Yes I am sad :roll:).