Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 1:12 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Hello Matt and all WP members watching this thread.

I'm a reasonable athlete.

I took up running as a teenager, to overcome extreme breathlessness when doing sports at school :!:

I peaked aged 17 when I was clocking 3 miles in 14 minutes.

It was around this time that I discovered that despite being quite skinny, I was quite strong for my age and started 'lifting' which has been my friend for over 30 years now.

The years of pounding the roads in what were almost wafer thin soles, mean that I can no longer run any meaningful distance in comfort so I have switched to swimming (my first love) and cycling.

You will notice the absence of team sports in my sports 'portfolio' :D

That's quite fast. 30 years ago a 5K (3.1 mile) men's world record was 13:10 or so.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 2:23 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

I took up running as a teenager, to overcome extreme breathlessness when doing sports at school :!:

It was around this time that I discovered that despite being quite skinny, I was quite strong for my age and started 'lifting' which has been my friend for over 30 years now.

The years of pounding the roads in what were almost wafer thin soles, mean that I can no longer run any meaningful distance in comfort so I have switched to swimming (my first love) and cycling.

Yes> I think the world record for one mile was quite a bit faster BUT...............I used to run like the wind blows and it was..............quite spiritual

That's quite fast. 30 years ago a 5K (3.1 mile) men's world record was 13:10 or so.

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 05 Mar 2010, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 7:28 pm

I studied dance. When I first started ballet I had a hard time understanding the concept of rhythm but I learned and actually worked to advanced levels. My ballet teacher tried to get me to stay with her instead of go to college. My mom refused. I didn't really care.

Then I studied hula (the traditional dance of Hawai`i), the ballet made that come pretty easy. I love dancing and I much prefer hula over ballet now. When I do hula everything I see becomes beautiful.

I liked fencing too, but I didn't stay with it. That's a good Aspie sport - it's fairly individual and you get to wear a mask so eye contact doesn't come into play. Oh, and you don't have to touch the other person.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2010, 8:10 pm

AnnaLemma wrote:
Also love cycling (pro cycling is one of my special interests) and used to do triathlons.

roadracer wrote:
do you ride any? who is your favorite team, favorite riders?

Sorry--stopped following this for a while! I don't ride much anymore (not road, anyway) since I started to break bones (hereditary osteoporosis). I have always liked CSC, through all their incarnations, and whoever they end up being next season. Also Columbia (even without George Hincapie). Rock Racing used to do a local race and are/were colorful, at the very least--cool kit. One of the team lived a few miles away and I would see him riding around quite often. I also like any team Thor Hushovd rides for (no excuses--he's just gorgeous and very nice). I also like Levi. I rescue cats frequently and used to love reading his blogs when he lived in Spain (rode for Rabobank, I think) and he and his wife would bring home to California at least half a dozen Spanish strays each fall. Odessa even wrote Levi's cat's name all over the road one year in the TdF. That's just a few. How about your favorites? You must know many great stories!

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:22 pm

They are still Team Saxo Bank for 2010 season I believe. That team is so strong! Fabian is just a monster. I wish I could TT at 33 mph. 8O

http://www.team-saxobank.com

I'm a triathlete.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2010, 9:07 am

Indeed! I think the first year I ever followed the TdF was the year that Bjarne Riis won and so when he got his own team I was interested in how things would go. Such an amazing collection of riders with complementary specialties. Clearly doing something right!

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 9:11 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Yes> I think the world record for one mile was quite a bit faster BUT...............I used to run like the wind blows and it was..............quite spiritual

I didn't know that.

My time would have had me finishing about a minute behind the world record holder, which at competitive level is barely off the starting blocks (in this case it would have been the starting line) :D

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 5:18 pm

I'm fairly strong for a small female. Normal motor skills, nothing special. I did various martial arts since age 13, I was reasonably good but not exceptional.

anonAS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Mar 2010, 1:28 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:

Wow that is fast!! ! I only started running after I was 29 or so, but I would kill to be able to run a 5k in under 24 minutes.
I run (when in running shape, typically 9-10 minute miles), martial arts (Isshinryu), and typical strength training.

I want to get into Cross Fit this year.

I noticed that my confidance is higher when I am in shape. (and thats not a AS vs NT thing, it is true for everyone)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 5:15 pm

I loathe excercise, and I think it's nothing but a punishment you get for being overweight. I don't mind walking though, when the weather is nice and I really want to go somewhere. But when the weather is bad it stinks and I don't drive or own a car so I usually stay home. And I've always been really good at swimming but for some reason I don't love it the way I used to as a kid. I had really bad problems doing stuff that involves physical coordination way back in grade school. I remember being excused from class and taking all kinds of tests by a physical therapist, I think. She had me do stuff like catch a ball and play a game of hopscotch. You know- stuff other girls my age did all the time at reccess? I hated going out at recess most of the time. I was usually cold and bored and teased by boys and we didn't even have a stupid playground back then! I liked it when it rained at school because we'd stay inside and I could draw or read. I've always been good at doing things like reading, writing, and art. I guess some people are just naturally active, like my mother, and other people , like me, are not. Why can't we ever have the best of both brains and brawn? :(

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 3:12 pm

I do bowling, swim when the weather and time are right, and hope to play golf with my dad someday.

No over-the-top exertions. I'm not at that point yet.

bigdave
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm not sure if you would call me athletic or not but I try to go to the gym every day and lift weights. When it comes to playing sports I have never had any real interest but I do enjoy watching hockey on tv when the Colorado Avalanche are playing. I live in Colorado so I have so many good trails to walk on. I love going on nature hikes and when its warm enough outside I try to go a couple times a week.

Kurisutiin_Suwein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2010, 1:26 am

I'm quite athletic and enjoy swimming at an intense pace. I think my co-ordination's improved a bit since I started karting, but other than that no sport appears to have affected my pretty terrible hand-eye co-ordination.

CrossFire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2010, 11:23 am

I'm athletic, my body in a nice shape for some one who sits all the day every day on the computer but because of that I think my endurance is pretty poor compare to how I look, but hey I use my brain, a little bit of creatine before, during and after I go to ride on a skateboard and everything is fine :lol:

kyled
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2010, 7:35 pm

Back a decade or two ago in high school I was generally athletic and did pretty well at team sports (especially basketball and football) -- not spectacular, but definitely above average. Part of it may be that I was kind of good at throwing, catching, shooting etc., so I probably did it more than most people as I do tend to get obsessed and repeat the same activities a lot more than most people, it seems. Currently I'm not doing any team sports, though I may join an ultimate "league" here pretty soon. I do lift weights, run, hike and/or mountain bike on a regular basis.

Despite this there are certain movements that seem just about impossible for me to learn -- especially those that involve some kind of simultaneous cognitive processing (i.e., pull and twist to unlock or matching movements with music in dancing). In these areas I am WAY below average (and for the record probably why I hate dancing).

Steph86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2010, 5:16 pm

Yes, I would say that most aspies isn't athletic. But yes, I would definitely say I'm athletic, plays softball and bball at my High Schools varsity teams. Some are saying I was born with a basketball between my hands, and I've played bball almost all my life.