Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:26 pm

I have no idea if this has been posted before, but I'm curious if I'm the only guy here that can't use urinals in front of anyone. I simply can't pee. Generally I tend to use cubicles. I have no problems at home unless I know I'm actually being watched but in public I simply can't. Cinemas, theatres and so on are often terrible during busy periods.

My (male) partner doesn't understand the problem and gets quite irritated by it.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:47 pm

I have never used a public restroom in my life. Not at school, not in a restaurant, not at a traffic stop, nowhere, never. Can't go anywhere if there are people even standing nearby on the other side of the door. I'll wait until I get home, thanks. Another good reason for not leaving the house. :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:50 pm

hello Thom :)
i used to have that problem to a greater degree than i do now, my bladder and brain seem to have become inured to close proximity to fellow pee-ers, but when i was young it [my willy] would refuse to pass pee until everybody else had left the room. very frustrating and painful. i usually would end up waiting for a enclosed stall to open up so i could go in there and pee in peace. a long time ago [i am an old f@rt] there used to be these trough urinals where there'd be one long trough to pee in that a bunch of guys would unzip and whip out their willies and pee all at once, those were horrible. be glad those days are long gone.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:58 pm

I cannot either, but I also won't use stalls. I have to find a single-use bathroom, so I'm always aware of stores and restaurants around that have either single-person restrooms, or the "family" restroom that locks.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 8:05 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
I have no idea if this has been posted before, but I'm curious if I'm the only guy here that can't use urinals in front of anyone. I simply can't pee. Generally I tend to use cubicles. I have no problems at home unless I know I'm actually being watched but in public I simply can't. Cinemas, theatres and so on are often terrible during busy periods.

My (male) partner doesn't understand the problem and gets quite irritated by it.

http://inventorspot.com/articles/portab ... arth_31239

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Apr 2010, 8:33 pm

Once I have to "go" bad enough, it doesn't matter who I think might be watching me. Infact at sporting events or concerts I'm always wearing a pull-up diaper under my pants with an absorbent pad inserted in the front. What usually happens with me is that I'll start drinking beer at the event and not pay attention to my bladder until it gets annoying, by which time it's way too late to wait in line for open urinals or bathroom stalls at these crowded places. So I end up just going in my pants and step out of line to everyone's surprise afterward. So far nothing's ever leaked out to my pants. If I "pad" myself well enough I can usually get through two or three "pisses" at an event without a change.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 8:44 pm

To me, that sound device sounded like a hand dryer ... and those are not mounted inside toilet cubicles (at least not where I live). Maybe toilet flushing sounds different in Japan.

So it would look/sound strange to have that particular noise coming from a cubicle that doesn't actually have anything fixed inside it making such a noise.

It kind of announces: "HEY EVERYONE! There's a shy person inside this cubicle!"

That said, the device would also be useful for people who are sound sensitive to the noises made by other people in public rest rooms (yes, I do know a number of people with this problem, not necessarily Aspies). Why cringe inside your cubicle blocking your ears when you can listen to loud music? Of course. you can just listen to an mp3 player for that ... in fact, the mp3 player may also help with the problem of embarrassment at other people hearing you. If you cannot hear yourself, then it is harder to be embarrassed. It is like people who talk really loudly when they are listening to music or trying to hear a mobile call that sounds too soft.

So ... try an mp3 player first. Listen to loud music when you use public rest rooms.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 9:50 pm

strapshoechris wrote:
Once I have to "go" bad enough, it doesn't matter who I think might be watching me. Infact at sporting events or concerts I'm always wearing a pull-up diaper under my pants with an absorbent pad inserted in the front. What usually happens with me is that I'll start drinking beer at the event and not pay attention to my bladder until it gets annoying, by which time it's way too late to wait in line for open urinals or bathroom stalls at these crowded places. So I end up just going in my pants and step out of line to everyone's surprise afterward. So far nothing's ever leaked out to my pants. If I "pad" myself well enough I can usually get through two or three "pisses" at an event without a change.

I always get to know far more about other people than I would ever want to know reading here. :D Merle

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 11:05 pm

I can't use the bathroom when other people are in the room either. (Only reason I ever nearly did was doing acrobatic gymnastics & peeing between routines :roll:). Plus I'm paranoid some weirdo will try to hold a conversation with me in a bathroom :lol:. It also made those stupid urine samples for the doctor suck when I was a kid...

p.s. little kids needing help in the bathroom & not being able to reprimand them for bad hygiene sucks

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 6:08 pm

I dont really have a "shy bladder", but I got this bad fear of public restrooms (actually all restrooms). It has been years since I have been inside a public restroom. When I am traveling, I will stop and pee just about anywere outside inorder to avoid restrooms.
For me, it is a sensory overload thing, the yukiness of bodily fluids combined with the sounds and smells :eew: .

(might be TMI, but) The last time I was in a public restroom (years ago), some guy taking a crap, didnt do a "courtesy flush", and the sound and smell (combined with a bit of car sickness) made me vomit all over the place :oops:

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 10:03 pm

I used to have this problem but I don't worry about it so much. I remember when I was going to join the Navy (I decided not to last minute) I had to do a urine test. The first time I went in with 8 other guys and they had no problem and were done in seconds. I stood in the corner for a minute before the marine told me I could try again later. Later comes and......even though I drank probably 2 gallons of water I STILL couldn't go because that marine was standing there watching me. I told him strait up that I can't go when someones standing there and he looked at me funny, then walked out. As soon as he left I bet I could have filled 20 of those specimen jars.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 12:40 am

Katatonic wrote:
I used to have this problem but I don't worry about it so much. I remember when I was going to join the Navy (I decided not to last minute) I had to do a urine test. The first time I went in with 8 other guys and they had no problem and were done in seconds. I stood in the corner for a minute before the marine told me I could try again later. Later comes and......even though I drank probably 2 gallons of water I STILL couldn't go because that marine was standing there watching me. I told him strait up that I can't go when someones standing there and he looked at me funny, then walked out. As soon as he left I bet I could have filled 20 of those specimen jars.

finally! somebody else who had this problem with the pee-test! i remember being told that if i had any military discipline at all, i could pee on command. the NCO assigned to watch me was very unhappy about my shy bladder.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 9:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Katatonic wrote:

finally! somebody else who had this problem with the pee-test! i remember being told that if i had any military discipline at all, i could pee on command. the NCO assigned to watch me was very unhappy about my shy bladder.

The pee test sucks! I had issues with it so bad that the doctor found blood in my urine when I was a kid due to straining to freakin' pee (that was "FUN").