Spork me, I have high blood pressure.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

kip
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 8:59 am

Doc has diagnosed me as stage two hypertensive and put me on meds. I'm supposed to be modifying my diet, but... AS food sensitivities are making that a bit evil.

I'm not supposed to have salt, and I'm supposed to try and cut down on the nitrate heavy processed food. Now, two things. I LOVE SALT. I even lick an animal mineral lick chock full of salt because I love the taste. I put it on EVERYTHING I eat. Now I know cutting back a significant amount would help, but does anyone know of decent less salty alternatives to maybe still get that level of flavour? Like, sea salt or something?

The fact that I'm 23 and on BP meds is one heck of a wakeup call, my dad had the same problem at my age, screw his genes. But he's not had to deal with being a picky eater as well.

Also, what the heck is a nitrate and what foods is it in?

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:57 am

I did not have medical insurance for 9 years and I had high blood pressure go undiagnosed so now I have an enlarged heart and some kidney disease where I have 80% kidney function. I went into the hospital with a blood pressure of 270/110 my lungs were almost full of fluid from congestive heart failure luckily its when I had medical insurance from my last job.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:11 pm

You can get salt substitutes that taste the same but won't crank up your blood pressure.