Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 9:44 pm

when i was growing up, i wasn't very coordinated; i couldn't throw, or run, or fight like a good kid was supposed to.

after sleeping on a futon for 10 years, my posture, breathing & coordination improved markedly.
(i have read that the japanese, by sleeping on the floor, stay limber into old age.)

oh--but i'm still a terrible dancer.

m.

reasoning." --William Blake

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 5:31 pm

Bordersquirrel wrote:
I've found that I pick up sports very quickly

I'm a kinesthetic learner by nature, and while I'm not the most athletic person of all the people I know, I'm capable of learning the basics in sport quite well, I actually enjoy practicing my skills when I get the chance so I "burn" the routine into my brain. I'm horrible when it comes to sports with balls, but cases where this was true - I picked up snowboarding in 4 sessions, the 3rd being a lesson to get the basics shown to me properly. The instructor was actually quite amazed at how well I picked things up - I spent the past 4 years snowboarding working on my skills and I'm just starting to overcome my fear of the terrain pair. I was at discover scuba night at the local dive shop, the instructor how taught people how to dive was joking around with me that I should have been certified to dive - as soon they showed me how to inflate/deflate a BC and how to don your equipment and weight properly, I placed that regulator into my mouth and I was off and running - I felt totally natural in that environment. While I struggle applying my love for hands-on learning to my academics, it's a gift when I can quickly learn things by doing. Soccer burned me out on this, but last time I played years ago, I found the simple joy in learning the basics when I wasn't pressured to hustle. I do get easily frustrated if I screw out.

industrialx
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2010, 12:28 pm

dmvguy wrote:
I think I might have read this somewhere, or maybe this is just a generalization. I think this is one reason why my parents don't believe i have AS because I've played a particular sport for over 10 years. But when it comes to everything else I'm clumsy. I trip when I'm walking. I fall down stairs I can't play any other sports, I'm pretty much uncoordinated except for that one sport. What do you think about this? Is it possible that with years of practice starting at an early age a person can overcome being uncoordinated in one specific area?

I have similar experiences, my mother and grandmother actually made me start playing football when I was about five, because my co-ordination was horrendous. I've managed to master co-ordination for the most part, but I'm still a goalkeeper, which I don't really think requires me to have many co-ordination-based issues. But I always used to break things at friends' houses, and trip, and I still have the occasional time when I stumble when I walk or can't walk in a straight line.

jaspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Oct 2010, 5:18 am

Participating in physical sports offer too much coordination for me.When I took up ten pin bowling at 12 years old, I usually(but not all the time) used to fall down when I used to bowl down the lane. I ended up being coached on my coordination which signifinently improved my scores and more balanced rhythm.Ball sports and gym have never changed. Attrocious kicking style, can't catch.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2010, 6:40 pm

I am ok when it comes to co ordination. I swim and also do drill and co-ordination is a big thing for both. The only thing I feel awkward about is when I am doing turns on the march.

Eibhilin
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2010, 6:08 am

In school I failed every phys ed class I participated in. I'd get hit in the head with volleyballs, trip during basketball, miss every pitch in softball, kick people in soccer. I'd fall out of trees, fall down hills. Every week was a new tragic accident with a variety of interesting scabs, cuts and stitches. Actually have a fun story about a broken foot the doctor SWORE couldn't be broken due to my utter lack of reaction... x-rays showed otherwise. *cough* To this day I walk into walls/door frames/people at least twice a day (and have the corresponding bruises to show for it). I can't swim to save my life (I sink), and drop things probably about once an hour. Accidentally THROW things about once a week.

Buuut I rock on rollerskates and participated in roller derby for a short time (social anxiousness caused me to drop out, not coordination), and love cycling. At the rink I'd get to listen to the music I liked, and I always enjoyed the kind of bizarre solitude I found while on a bike.

chuninabun
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2010, 12:48 pm

i do kung fu, ride a bike (well i can) and many other things. When i stand on one leg i still have trouble balancing, but all this can be learned over time. I also had been playing video games and shooting games/fighting with friends when i was kid. I definitely believe it has to do with, severity of disability and nurture vs nature kind of thing. I also had friends as a kid, not many i guess now that i think about it, but i had them. And then as a teen i got into drugs, but i still had friends (its easier to make friends on substances, but they are only temporary) then all those friends left, i sobered up, chased off a few other friends and a girlfriend and now i have 3 friends. I can communicate very well in social situations, and sometimes i am ok, other times i get severe social anxiety, even around the same people and screw up everything. (at least in my mind) But i have no interests, cant attach myself to an interest other then kung fu. And even then my motivation is hard to come by, i get bored of everything. As said i think we all experience this, or whatever it is completely different from one another. Ive always been good with physics coordination? as well, like being able to tell if i throw a ball at a certain point, it will bounce off and hit something else, that kind of thing. I do notice when people are doing the jump rope in my martial arts class that i have a hard time figuring out how far to walk behind sometimes. Or if i am talking to someone, sometimes i move around and don't look, thats when i bump into a pillar or something. I can also trip over something once, remind myself its there and do it a few more times. But in the army i managed to fail land navigation like 3 or 4 times, i never passed tho. I actually got me and a seargent lost in the woods at a ranger training course one time, it took them like 5 hours to find us. o.0

Billi

03 Nov 2010, 11:40 pm

Two years ago I started cycling, I always sucked at sports except track, but I didn't mind playing. Cycling has become my interest. I'm still a little awkward sometimes. The cycling groups where I live have been great, they are usually real friendly, and don't really notice if you are not too social. I got coached for cyclocross racing by a national champion racer. He was having practices, but hardly no one showed up, so he just worked with me, he didn't have to bother, but he did. I'm not that strong on the bike, plus I'm 42, and cyclocross is way more intense than riding for endurance, I crashed a lot, but it's offroad, so I wipe the dirt off my face and keep going. I wasn't going to race, but he and several other racers encouraged me to. I finished 21st in both my races, not good, but not last place. Here's a pic of my second race, it rained hard during the first lap. In the pic I had overshot the turn and almost crashed. I'm not good very at cyclocross, but it's still fun. I thought I would be all nervous in front of people, I get very self-conscious about being clumsy sometimes, but once the whistle blew my attention was 100% on riding. I know if I work at it I could get a bit better, several other racers gave me some pointers also. Some people I ride with sometimes were there and yelling "Go Billi Go.!" when I came by. I think it's the first time anyone ever cheered for me. Image

Faidin
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 11:35 am

Well, the coordination problems that I have become apparent with fine dribbling techniques in basketball, but I still love the sport a whole bunch -and I'm a pretty dang good jump shooter too. My favorite is lightening weights though - its such a rush when your done. Just for the hell of it I did 30 sit-ups just now - :P

hermione124
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2010, 5:13 am

many people may say it is steriotypical to say that aspies are uncoordinated, this is not strictly accurate. truth being that many people with aspergers syndrome or other asd also have the comorbid condition dyspraxia or aspects of it. i know i certainly have.

as a child my nick name from my family was clumbsity bumsity ally. children pick up instinctively on any difference of their peers and often respond negatively to that. its hurtfull and unfair,but completely natural reaction. i was never good at sports of any kind and this didnt bother me as it gave me time to persue my areas of interest. only as an adult i am discovering the pleasures of physical activity and am starting to enjoy it. still cant dance, but am learning to run on the tread mill, hill walking is really pleasurable and i have recently tried bodyboarding which i found really exciting, although i did fall off several times.

aamj50

15 Nov 2010, 1:59 pm

Billi wrote:
Two years ago I started cycling, I always sucked at sports except track, but I didn't mind playing. Cycling has become my interest. I'm still a little awkward sometimes. The cycling groups where I live have been great, they are usually real friendly, and don't really notice if you are not too social. I got coached for cyclocross racing by a national champion racer. He was having practices, but hardly no one showed up, so he just worked with me, he didn't have to bother, but he did. I'm not that strong on the bike, plus I'm 42, and cyclocross is way more intense than riding for endurance, I crashed a lot, but it's offroad, so I wipe the dirt off my face and keep going. I wasn't going to race, but he and several other racers encouraged me to. I finished 21st in both my races, not good, but not last place. Here's a pic of my second race, it rained hard during the first lap. In the pic I had overshot the turn and almost crashed. I'm not good very at cyclocross, but it's still fun. I thought I would be all nervous in front of people, I get very self-conscious about being clumsy sometimes, but once the whistle blew my attention was 100% on riding. I know if I work at it I could get a bit better, several other racers gave me some pointers also. Some people I ride with sometimes were there and yelling "Go Billi Go.!" when I came by. I think it's the first time anyone ever cheered for me. Image

Congratulations Bill! Cyclocross is insane, so much fun.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:20 am

I am very good at jiu jitsu which in my opinion takes a decent amount of coordination. I don't have a lot of strength to wrestle people down and all that but once I do get into a dominant position, I have the skill to maintain that position and finish my opponent with a submission fairly easily.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 12:09 am

Sometimes I am quite clumsy-especially in the kitchen if others are around. But when it comes to dance,athletic pursuits,no I am the opposite. I am shy but give me a mountain and I'm a billy goat!

Teung
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2010, 3:12 am

It's a generalization.

I've pretty much always have been coordinated for the most part. It's not perfect, but I wouldn't call myself clumsy.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 10:39 pm

I'm a clumsy person, Ive tripped going up stairs, down em, bumping into the corners of walls and random objects ...but for sports I find that once my muscles have memorized the motions I can do them just as well as or better than other people. Anything with rhythm I just can;t do but I was able to wrestle and play football in high school because I pretty good at judging other players momentum and can find the running lane before the runner hits it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBBQcFdD0g

4:20 - quarterback sack baby :)

I believe that aspies can excel at sports involving repetition like tennis, racquetball and cross country because there are only so many motions involved and we can master those specific motions well.

it varies from person to person though

Yanks28th
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2010, 2:20 pm

As with most symptoms of Autism/Aspergers, there the norm, not the rule. There are plenty of exceptions. I actually think Lou Gherig might have had Aspergers (from reading Luckiest Man), but he cleary was one hell of an athlete (But he was very uncoordinated when he was younger).