Something is wrong with my chest. Panic disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2010, 2:52 am

Since three weeks ago i had a sudden sharp pain in my chest on the left side when i was sleeping. I woke up and started to panic. Since that time i have sometimes had sudden fear attacks witch all have started at night when i have been sleeping or sleepy. Perhaps that sharp pain clicked something in my head and now i have trouble getting sleep at nights. I get a bit scared and worried when going to sleep every night.

I get so scared like i am going to die an heart attack.
To ease the panic period i rock back and forth until it goes away and i get sleepy again and fall to sleep. Panic period was almost an hour today at late night witch was almost morning. I don't have nightmares.

With those scary nights of sleep, i have had three times when i have had real panic attack. Shaking, heart pounding, fear, slightly harder to breath.. like lungs have become smaller. Chest feels heavy and stomach gets upset.

I hate getting scared over nothing like this. My life is enough anxious. Good sleep with dreams, witch i have almost every night, have always made my sleep interesting. This time everything is disturbed by this panic problem. I get less sleep... and less long lasting dreams! :( 8O

Even now i am slightly disturbed of the last panic attack. Chest still feels heavy and stomach is upset but everything else seems is fine.

Should i visit doctor and tell her my new theory of what i think is wrong with me? Last time i didn't know what to tell because i also had a little fever and my middle part of chest hurt when i touched it. Now the touching pain is gone. She thought it was the only problem.

I'm sorry if my post seems out of order or odd, because:
[quote]Even now i am slightly disturbed of the last panic attack. Chest still feels heavy and stomach is upset but everything else seems is fine.[/quote]

Edit: I discovered that it might be nocturnal panic attack because the symptoms are quite true with that.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 4:19 am

I am no physician. Sounds like you have a good understanding of your situation if you have frequent panic attacks. Are you on any medications that can cause chest pain?

If it is just panic, maybe learning to do some meditation and relaxation before bedtime can help you sleep calmly.

gl.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2010, 5:13 am

Yes. Yoga. I remembered that physical activity makes me feel relaxed. I did have problem thinking about when to do yoga. Now i know when to. Must get the beginners yoga video again. Thanks.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 11:12 am

Anxiety disorder is a medical issue that you should feel free to discuss with your doctor. If this is, indeed, the source of your pains (and I have no reason to doubt that), then the impact on your sleep is a matter of concern, since a diminution of the quantity and quality of sleep can have a number of follow on effects, not the least of which is exacerbating your anxiety symptoms.

There are a number of therapeutic options available, not all of which involve medication.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Sep 2010, 11:26 am

Definitely see the doctor! If you at least get an answer as to what's wrong, you might be able to forget about the panic, and the problem might go away.

Just a guess, but I wonder if it's acid reflux? That can feel like a tight chest/chest pain, and it comes when you've been lying down for awhile. Again, ask the doctor.

Charles

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2010, 5:45 am

I read that one of the acid reflux symtom must be constant burning sensation. Mine was not constant. It does feel sharp and burning but it only lasts for a moment like a quick stab of needle. I can get the pain even when sitting or standing. Next time i visit doctor i ask her if it might be axid reflux. Acid reflux sounds more scary than panic or anxiety.

Is eating potatoes every day like eating junk food?(Fried on the stove and including a little salt.) Ofcourse i eat other foods too. But main is potatoes.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:20 am

Potatoes do not represent a balanced diet. Their primary nutritional contribution are carbohydrates.

However, absent some sensitivity, I see no medical reason to say that eating them every day is a problem, provided that they are simply one component of a balanced diet.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 1:21 am

Breathing by heaving your chest is probably what caused it. Somehow, you got out of the normal habit of using your stomach to breath. I can spontaneously generate a PA by breathing with my chest. A lot of marijuana smokers get panic attacks because they breath with their chest when they get high.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 1:57 pm

I went through a phase of getting a weird feeling in my throat every time i laid down to go to bed which would turn into a panic attack over not being able to breathe, which resulted in me not being able to breathe for real. i had to just sit up and drink water whilst watching tv or something until it went away. i ended up getting a bit anxious about going to bed. it just kind of went by itself but i still get it sometimes and i dont know what causes it:/