Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DiveClimb
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2010, 10:04 am

I've reently taken up climbing again. With my partner. One problem. If it's a difficult climb I concentrate really hard on the climb and forget to breath. Consequently I either fall off or end up at the bottom with blue lips and a blue face. Any tips on how I can remember to breath?

conan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 6:30 pm

that's an interesting problem hahaha. I've been doing indoor climbing for 2months maybe. I love it. Only bouldering so far. I like to do stuff on overhangs so far because i don't have much finger strength yet. someday when i have money for gear i will try outdoors. I find for certain moves i have to hold my breath so my core muscles work proper. only for a few seconds at most though.

It is an awesome sport i just don't like it when the place i go gets crowded

DiveClimb
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Nov 2010, 3:53 am

Glad you've taken up one of the most amazing sports in the world. Don't do much boldering after a bad fall left me washing bits of chalk out of a graze on my stomach with detol. (OWWWW MAJORLY) Crowding is a proplem at the climbing centre I use but i've got to know the busy and quiet times. If you're in the UK I could offer some suggestions of where is good to climb. Before you splash out for all the kit I'd say you should tr top roping and leading inoors a few times first.

Yeah I come down from climbs blue even If i have been trying to breath. Maybe I stop on the lower off.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm

it's not the most amazing sport in the world :P that would be kitesurfing hahaha. it is pretty awesome though. I''ve got memership at a climbing place in edinburgh. my partner has done a bunch of top roping so i think once i get a harness i'll try that. then hopefully sometime to the outdoors. I'm not really keen on injuring myself so i don't think i will ever become dedicated but it is awesome all the same.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 10:40 pm

I wanted to get involved in this, but mostly I've done indoor climbing. I used to like climbing trees and up the sides of my house back when I was a kid. I mainly stick to hiking, but I would loved to have picked up climbing and gone up to the top of some huge peak.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 8:20 am

I've tried climbing a few times and would do it so much more if the only place near me wasn't so expensive/such a pain to get to, cuse you public transport.

It really works for me, slightly dangerous and so involving I can't be distracted by other stuff, I just get into this head space where even though the adreanaline's flowing and my heart's racing i'm really calm, which is something i've been trying to work on.

I hold my breath for a long time when i'm thinking really hard, my psychologist would remind me to breathe, never done it while active though. Have you tried going really slowly, or stopping as soon as you realised you're holding your breath? I found Pilates to be really good in terms of breath control and body awareness, maybe that would help?

conan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 8:27 am

tree climbing is awesome! I'm gonna go indoor climbing tomorrow :D

DiveClimb
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2010, 8:32 am

Ting Is i don't notice that i'm not breathingit's wen I loose power inmy grip that I realise. I might try pilates . I don't have a good body awareness. I keep smacking boday parts on doors walls and tables. I was told off by my driving instructor for not blinking when I was a learner.

I'm off climbing tomorrow. Indoor as it's reallt cold round hear at the moment.

Never kitesurfed. Looks fun.

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2010, 5:40 pm

I love climbing.

The only times in my life when I'm organized and clear headed are when I'm outside working my way up a climb.

Great for building balance and body awareness. I recommend doing yoga as well to improve on balance, breathing and flexibility.

stgiordanobruno
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2010, 8:05 am

I have never used climbing ropes yet but do like going up very steep hiking trails with hiking poles. The last big one was to the summit of Mt Agung in Bali