Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AspieLeader
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2010, 4:27 pm

I plan to start a strict workout and diet regiment and adhere to it. I will be adopting and easing into a nutritionist-style diet soon. I have a gym membership and the downside is that I cannot keep it up for more than a few months because I am going to a long-distance college in 2 years. I feel that somehow, even with the same equipment at gym, that it will break my routine. I plan to do this for the rest of my life. I need to think in the long-term though, once I hit middle-age (40 years), should I start pushing myself less than when I have began (close to right now)?

I plan on becoming a fitness expert by reading reputable sources such as WebMD and Muscle & Fitness magazine and having a healthy and hot-looking physique for most of the rest of my life. What do you think? Is anyone else here obsessed with fitness?

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:38 pm

I too am obsessed with fitness.I grew up hiking,doing ballet,swimming and running. I have to exercise every day,I think mainly because it feels so good and it's a healthy addiction.I don't belong to any gym,I loathe gyms.I do Asthanga yoga and run every morning,and in the evening I go for a fast walk before bed. I do some light weights,too.I would swim,but here in the tropics I've gotten numerous Staph infections and it's really hard to get it out of your system.My favorite exercise is hiking back in my home state;when I'm there I hike for 3-5 hours each day! I hike on the weekends here too,but now it's rainy season so mud and mosquitoes have been stopping me.
I'm really grateful for my parents bringing me up instilled in health and exercise.I still find it odd that people think of exercise as chore,it's something that is essential for a healthy and long life.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 8:52 pm

oh man, i was 31 or 32 and a slug, started running which led into biking. became a marathoner and bicycle racer. how great i felt! later became a free climber. completely changed my life. felt good about myself for the first time ever.

murdered by a drunk driver at 39. too bad, so sad, you're dead.

keep with your plan. people who are not really fit, who do not put in the work........they do not know what they're missing.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:48 pm

I have been at times. I was a competitive rower for 5 years until I took a break last year. I'm getting back into it but it's hard. I find exercising in the summer really easy, I can go running, biking, rowing, etc. but I hate stationary exercise and I get depressed in the winter so I find winter training difficult to keep up with.

When I was still rowing, however, I would be up at 4am every weekday, 5am on Saturdays, and would bike to rowing, 15mins, row for 1.5-2hrs, then bike to work, 7.5km that would take me ~15mins with traffic lights and a killer hill at the end, usually averaging 36-40km/hr through the city. I would then work a somewhat physical job as a groundskeeper, followed by a 1-1.5hr evening rowing practice. Needless to say I couldn't eat enough but I was in amazing shape.

I'm currently swimming twice a week, practices are monday, wednesday and friday but I've got class during the wednesday practice so I'm only going to start that this week. I will also throw in some rowing on tuesdays and thursday mornings and weights those afternoons.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 5:23 pm

Yes, it is hard to do outdoor activities at this time of year. Running in the dark is dangerous. I have cut way back in the last month.

In response to OP, I go through stretches of time when fitness can become an obsession. Now, I feel an obligation to do it, but not a drive that needs satisfied. I was highly competitive at sports at one time, but that isn't there anymore and I don't feel a need to prove myself only to myself. I seem to get into shape then let myself go when I get busy then get back into again when I start noticing the effects. I still seem to be stronger and move faster over short distances than most people despite getting older. I am not sure when I will see a big drop-off. I think it is more that injuries last longer and you feel it more the next day, than a sudden you are old and can't do what you used to do type scenario.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 8:13 pm

I have run, for 4 years, every single day (excepting sunday, because that is against my religion).
I have not taken off more than a continuous week, since 9th grade, now I am a senior.
Yes.
I am obsessed with fitness.

However, I am not obsessed with dieting.
I was a few years back, and now my metabolism is messed up.

Last edited by chrissyrun on 04 Dec 2010, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Dec 2010, 1:14 pm

I'm as obsessed as a person can get, with weightlifting. I get all upset and in a bad mood if I skip a workout, which I guess means it's an obsession. But this is better than being obsessed with eating or smoking, I guess.

Charles

Secret_Helper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2010, 10:33 pm

Man, honestly I am utterly addicted to fitness and dieting!! ! Although it is not a bad thing since I love getting into shape. Also I am very oblivious of eating any fast foods whatsoever like McDonalds.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:48 pm

I love getting in shape LOL that's one of my hobbies.I'm tired of all the usual "exercise" though,I refuse to give money to a gym...and I enjoy food, so I don't want to do any hazardous dieting.I love my wheat free Brazil nut cookies! yuyuyuuymymy

drumchick34

03 Dec 2010, 8:25 pm

I am obsessed with weight lifting! People always make comments to me in the gym about how they think i'm there like most of the day.

AspieLeader
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2010, 6:26 pm

All cool.