Have you ever been to the ER?
Yes- it was okay 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Yes- it was horrible 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6

aspiefeminist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2011, 2:31 am

As part of some research I'm doing, I'm interested in learning about some people's experiences with visits to the ER or doctors in general.

What I want to know is:
1) Have you ever been to the ER?
2) If so, what was the experience like? Horrible? Fine? Would it have been better/worse if you were a NT?
3) If you were going to make a list of the 5 most important things you wish all doctors knew about ASDs what would they be?
4) If you were going to give 5 suggestions to doctors about how to make doctor visits (and especially ER visits) more pleasant, what would they be?

Specific things to include:
doctors were condescending/obnoxious/infantilizing
touching as an issue
the way they phrased questions
providing information to you
people knowing/assuming you had an ASD

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 3:12 am

I've never had any problems with respect to AS, with ER's, medical doctors or medical procedures.

aspiefeminist

08 Feb 2011, 3:13 am

Glad to hear it!!

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2011, 8:07 am

I have been to the ER once, it was an OK experience. I have had a silly experience at a dentist though. An Asian dentist was filling in for my regular dentist whom I like very much. She showed me an X-ray and said that there was bone resorption on the left side of my mandible and that it was possible to fracture the mandible easily.

She then went ahead and looked at my medical records and asked me about my previous diagnosis of AS.

She recommended that I have a reconstruction plate mounted onto my left mandible with 4 screws. I am planning on specializing in orthopedic surgery and have a general knowledge of bone fixation using orthopedic hardware (ORIF). I made sure to straighten her out by making note that the pilot holes created by the drilling prior to screw placement greatly weaken the mandible and told her that the chances of fracture are much greater with the hardware fixation vs. no hardware fixation if I were to be struck in the face by whatever object.

She started getting arrogant and brushed me off, making me feel like she was trying to belittle me based on my diagnosis of AS. It's almost as if she thought people with AS are mentally ret*d or something. This is very problematic, as it shows that some medical professionals have a very limited knowledge, isolating their knowledge only to their respective specialty.

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2011, 4:20 pm

when i was little, i was frequently in the ER do to my own clumsiness paired with the ridiculous crap my preschool was teaching me. But my most recent bout in the ER was more serious, because a psychiatric hospitalization followed. I learned that I had AS while i was there.