Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:34 pm

I think you may be right the animals are aware of our aspiness again and again I | have "wild" or "aggressive" animals literally eating out of the palm of my hand, it has N't dumbfounded and perplexed. it would be interesting if their have been controlled studies on this one .

www.vannicholas.com

^^^^

I think it should be OK they've been around for a while , I'm just a little apprehensive in buying a "customised bike over the net" especially at that price point their frames start at A $ 1500 (approx) as opposed to it's competition like Lite Speed which start at approx $2000 I wonder "Made in Tawian" and no name savings can result in a 30 % + saving that's a lot of fat ( their both similar in weight to .)

I wont be going to a bike shop as it's unfair riding their bike with no intention of buying it though |I would be extremely keen on seeing Athena (non carbon retro looking one) in the flesh

Believe it or not I'm in a city of 2 million and not once have I seen a Athena equipped bike. I'm very much looking forward to prove or disprove when it's been said when the competition wears out Campagnolo is wearing in if that's the case that would be pretty cool and at what point does it wear out , that doesn't mean it will stand the test of time over the long haul.....

Also from what I can gather Campy group sets "thud" as oppose to the silent click you get from Shimano I guess it would be kinda of cool if it was of the Germanic car quality kind of thud as opposed to a US made one if you know what I mean.....

BTW I do like your helmet it's a BMX one yes I've considered it myself to differentiate myself from the masses though I do that enough already enough with the bike, the pedals (Speed Play) I have no idea why they are not more popular :? I can pretend I'm Fabian Cancellara, :roll: :roll: :roll: the hairy legs , the Mountain bike shorts ,I prefer to be non offensive and keep Mr Johnston and his sons B1 + B 2 hidden from the rest of the world their kinda shy. :oops:

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

I have had a couple people own bikes with Athena (and also others with Record).

I think it is a lie that campy is anymore durable than shimano equivalent. I have never seen an athena wear out. Having said that I have never seen a Dura-ace wear out either. Both will last forever PROVIDED that they are maintained properly. If they arent then all bets are off.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm

m2o2r2g2 wrote:
I think it is a lie that campy is anymore durable than shimano equivalent. I have never seen an athena wear out. Having said that I have never seen a Dura-ace wear out either. Both will last forever PROVIDED that they are maintained properly. If they arent then all bets are off.

yeah, uhm, I usually crash before the parts ever get to the point of wearing out :x I have Shimano shifters right now. They are surviving, but looking really tired. Once you crash in wet sand they just never behave the same. They have been through some epic battles with me. The derailleurs are doing just fine with regular tension adjustments. I have been happy with shimano, but there is a "made in China" stigma, then again campy is outsourcing as well. Whether or not this affects the quality is debatable.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 8:24 am

spoof for all you bike nerds:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4[/youtube]

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 5:52 pm

For a second there I was thinking motorbikes.

If motorbike then yes.

Regular bicycles...er sometimes.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 7:14 pm

I like the vid :)

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

03 Apr 2011, 2:09 am

aussiebloke wrote:
I think you may be right the animals are aware of our aspiness again and again I | have "wild" or "aggressive" animals literally eating out of the palm of my hand, it has N't dumbfounded and perplexed. it would be interesting if their have been controlled studies on this one .

I can relate. There's a scene in a Disney Movie (Snow White?) where she's walking through the forest, birds eating from her hand, others perched on her shoulder, skunks and rabbits and deer following her, and sometimes I feel like that. :)

I think bikes represent a lot of things, especially since they feature so prominently in the childhood memories of so many of us.

I don't have a schmancy one or anything-
my first, real adult bike I got when I was 14 or so, and it's the one I still have (and should use).

It's blue, with a wide seat and foot brakes. Just like I wanted. :D

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 9:31 pm

aussiebloke,

Just thought you should know, my Fulcrums beat out those $3500 carbon Zipps in a coast, as in not pedaling.

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2011, 6:14 pm

rabidmonkey...
Need to be careful about saying one wheel will beat another in a coast. The tire on the wheel can affect the result dramatically. Also a heavier wheel will hold more momentum when coasting (especially if there is a slight downhill).

The key point for the wheel is the energy needed to accelerate to that speed in the first place.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 6:32 pm

I hope you find your riding partner I've been secretly hoping their is an ASD lady in my area I could take for a ride, And BTW way no need to be afraid ladies I wouldn't turn up just looking for sex I think it was Lonermutant :oops: / :? who seems to think it's typical aspie behaviour to turn up to a Meet Up just looking for sex , no I think he may be projecting their, I hope he gets the help that he needs if you check his profile his one and only interests are depressed ranting (I can relate to that ) but not any more now that I'm correctly medicated :)

Anyway what sort of rider are you looking for I would feel like such a dead weight if I couldn't keep up , I'm only a cafe latte rider a couple hours at a time at a steady pace high 20's/ 30 km per hour if your looking for someone who's a 5 hour slogger at 30 km + per hour I'm not that guy, I presume you like to ride at any pace at any time on almost any bike :)

Oh I had no idea Fulcrum made 3.5 k rims , I presume you went on the Van Nicholas site their bikes come standard with Zipp wheels , so I think you may be right I would feel like a bit of a tool on deep dish Zipps may be go for the Fulcrums even though their a bit heavier.

So what did you think of the bikes ?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 9:28 pm

m2o2r2g2 wrote:
rabidmonkey...
Need to be careful about saying one wheel will beat another in a coast. The tire on the wheel can affect the result dramatically. Also a heavier wheel will hold more momentum when coasting (especially if there is a slight downhill).

The key point for the wheel is the energy needed to accelerate to that speed in the first place.

way to be the buzzkill :) I can assure you my tires were in worse shape as I forgot to inflate them before the race. Secondly, I know about weight distribution in rotational kinematics and I know that the moment of inertia is much greater for a hollow object. That was just me trying to be less covetous of those that can actually afford Zipps.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 9:38 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
I presume you like to ride at any pace at any time on almost any bike :)

Oh I had no idea Fulcrum made 3.5 k rims , I presume you went on the Van Nicholas site their bikes come standard with Zipp wheels , so I think you may be right I would feel like a bit of a tool on deep dish Zipps may be go for the Fulcrums even though their a bit heavier.

So what did you think of the bikes ?

Yes pretty much any bike, as long as it's not some Huffy or Schwinn junk. I'm also not a fan of those beach cruisers. I like to ride casual, except for when I'm doing intervals or racing.

I don't know what I think of Van Nicholas mostly because I'm not familiar with titanium frames. I probably know less than you do about the bikes.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 4:51 am

aussiebloke wrote:
Yes , ultimate AS nerdish hobby sadly it's become the sport of choice of the Mammal demographic.

Mammal = Middle aged men in Lycra :roll:

They also say cycling is the new Golf since most golfers are right wing douche bags I stay well away.

This sport shows how sheepish NT"s really are most of these mammals are in the sportive range (where I'm at ) bikes in the $3000 -6000 K and that's where the silimtires end. They have the obligatory over stiff carbon bike in red ,black or white , Ultegra equipped (their are other groupset makers people!) with the usual Mavic or Shimano rims . I do not know how cycling journalists can get so excited about the same ol same ol (they must gee themselves up)

Than you have the mammals who are on top of the food chain ( CEOs ) they spend something like 10 K ++ on a bike often their of the "weight weenie" variety their the sort of losers who would spend $ 400 on a stem to save 30 grams.

I wonder when their going down at 80 km +++ down Mount Cootha and the stem breaks would they be feeling so clever ?

Myself I am anti weight weenie :) I just sent 3K on a heavy steel bike! 9.5 kg most sportive bikes are in the 7 - 8 kg range. Oh and it's bright yellow to!

At least with steal it will be with me for life ,sometimes plastic ain't always fantastic...

PS I will never ever ride carbon :D next bike retro 90's cool Titanium...

Well those mammals are keeping fit which regardless of their own health is good for everyone else, and they are not hurting anyone doing what they do.
And a little perspective on the expensive bikes..an expensive bike is a not very expensive almost anything else if you get my meaning. A 6K bike is the price of a sh***y well used second hand car, but probably a top of the line bike that could be ridden in a Grand Tour.
And importantly, guys like that keep the bike shops in business.
In short, mammals are enjoying life by riding bicycles, it should be encouraged!

I don't have any Lycra as I'm a dirty mountain biker, but I just scored myself an old steel Pinarello for a few hundred dollars, I put SPDS on, I love it!

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2011, 10:28 pm

I agree with nostromo.

It is good that others are out there cycling. It raises awareness of cyclists in drivers minds. It keeps more people fit (less health problems), keeps cars off the road (less pollution). It keeps people in business so you have somewhere to go to buy bike parts.

I dont like seeing people spending 10,000 when they are never going to do more than ride to the coffee shop. But I also hate EVERY city dweller driving a big SUV, every sports car driver that never goes above 30. Every person who spends a small fortune just to wear a piece of clothing that is identical to another except for a small logo on it, .... the list goes on.
Unfortunately this is most of the NT world. So we just have to learn to deal with it.

And I am not against carbon. It is stronger than steel, we just need a DECENT manufacturer willing to put out a carbon bike with twice the amount of strategically placed carbon. A well made 9kg carbon bike (if it existed) over a 9kg steel bike anyday.

Having said that I havent managed to break mu 7kg carbon bike yet and I have put it through a LOT.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 9:17 pm

m2o2r2g2 wrote:
I agree with nostromo

And I am not against carbon. It is stronger than steel, we just need a DECENT manufacturer willing to put out a carbon bike with twice the amount of strategically placed carbon. A well made 9kg carbon bike (if it existed) over a 9kg steel bike anyday.

Having said that I havent managed to break mu 7kg carbon bike yet and I have put it through a LOT.

And a well made 8 kg aluminum road bike ? it's been a while since I've ridden a Cannondale , at that price point it seems irresistible, and to think some people go on forums and complain that CAAD 10's are to "expensive" well I think their fantastic value for money their top of the line 10's with Dura Ace is close to 7 kg and undercuts their (carbon) competition by at least 1 k .

Now the ride quality is another thing I've just read an article in one of the American magazines and they state (and I agree) fantastic value for money and go on to say (ditto) many at that price point /rider should seriously consider this bike , negatives (good idea) they would have liked a little bit of aluminium showing through on the stays just to show of it's heritage and show people you can be flogged by aluminium bike! other negatives not the sort of bike if you like "communicative road feel" why don't they come out and say it's harsh, than again I'm not sure my old Dale was quite OK and may be they've gotten better over the years. :?

They sure look nice :) I've read people on forums say they look " plain" I say timeless would be more apt..

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 6:45 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Bikes are an obsession of mine. I love fixing them, riding them, and currently I'm building my first racing bike. I also built a commuter bike from craigslist parts. I'm on my racing team at school (UIC) and I frequently ride in the Chicago area. If anyone out there is interested in exchanging information on training or componentry, go ahead and blurt it out. I'm always looking for someone to talk to about bikes.

Also, if you're in the area and would like to share a ride sometime, I probably wouldn't mind. The weather is getting warmer and riding solo can be boring.

Did you forget to say clean your bikes ? I did just that yesterday :D it was dirtier than a Vietnamese dirt track in a monsoon summer now it's as clean as a whistle (the fixie) aluminium. aka city bike * I never ride my steel bikes in the rain I'm even to paranoid to wash them with suds does that make me a lameo ? :)

when I 1st got it (mentally ill at the time ) I I went for a 200 km ride (120 miles ??? ) I wont be doing that again!

ie I think I was more sore than tired , come to think of it I'm not sure if I will take a look at a Caad 10 :? They sure look nice though and is a lot of bike for the money :)