How do you get rid of additives in your diet?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2011, 9:28 am

It seems too hard and I am a vegetarian.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 9:31 am

Plywood wrote:

just by the raw ingredients and cook from scratch.

tofu, beans, eggs, lentils are all good protein for vegetarians and dont have additives.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2011, 9:38 am

It's not really hard if you're a vegetarian. If you are used to eating processed vegetarian food I can see how it would be, but just buy lots of plant-source food (fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds, nuts, etc). I bake my own bread (I also buy it but I intend to give that up eventually) so I decide what is in it.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:24 pm

Plywood wrote:

---
One can try to shop at grocery stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. One can acquire a blender like the Vitamix. Regarding food additives, only a handful of persons (not everyone) is really extremely sensitive to a few food additives at all. The only account about completely hidden food additives and changes in cognition - perception - which I found believable is the How To (understand) Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive / central auditory processing disorder / modern nutrition by C. Thomas Wild. It's a documented true story and it is known to be quite rare. The How To book called for full ingredient disclosure labeling of food additives for drugs and foods.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 10:45 am

It's hard, since additives are in almost any processed food. But, like others said, cooking from scratch and trying to eat as many whole foods as possible helps greatly. Over the past few years, I've avoided additives and processed foods, but have not cut them out completely, and still notice a difference in how I feel. So, I'd say that even if you don't take an all-or-nothing approach and totally rid your diet of them, you can have some success in this area.

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2011, 2:34 am

Cooking from scratch. Eating raw foods more often. I'm newly vegan and make a LOT from scratch. I really only still buy (processed) fake cheese, butter, olive oil and the occasional bag of chips.

The internet has a jillion recipes for anything you could ever want to make. My favorite things to make are tortillas and fresh hummus, yum!

Last edited by eb31 on 20 Mar 2011, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 5:48 am

Plywood wrote:

Try gluten free, nut free, seed free as well. :D

I just made my fav food to make at the moment. Zuchinni slice (courgette slice) it is great to take cold for lunches.

2 zucchini grated
1 carrot grated
1 red capsicum(bell pepper) diced
1 red onion diced
(anything else you want to add, my last batch included olives and chopped mushrooms)
1 cup self raising flour (i use gluten free)
6 eggs (organic free range is best)
1 cup of freshly grated cheddar style cheese (pre grated had preservatives)

Mix all together and put in a lined slice tin. Bake at 356 for 30 minutes until set.

Serve hot or cold cut into bars or squares.
Is also good frozen.

So I'm never in a rush

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2011, 10:15 pm

As I vegan,I can certainly say that sugar and caffeine are additives as well.Try cutting them out! My mother gets migraines when she doesn't have her daily morning latte-however I've never been able to handle caffeine,so thankfully my body never got addicted to it!

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 11:58 am

Just try to buy organic, or you can take it a step further and start a small vegetable patch. I know alot of cities now have community gardens. It might be something to look into.

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm

Farmers markets! Also, look for stores that carry a good bit of locally sourced/grown food. Often times these places will have foods that you can read the ingredient list and recognize *everything* on the list! :D

I've just started buying as much locally grown meats (grass fed/free range), cheeses (one good reason to be back in Wisconsin), and veggies as I can find. They're all so much more flavorful too!