Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2013, 12:42 am

I got a job as a dishwasher which requires me to stand in one place for a long period of time. I have a comfortable pair of shoes, and have only worked there a week now, but I am starting to get back pains. I've never really exercised my back, other than push ups, but I need a better way to workout and keep my back in shape. Unfortunately I do not have a weight set, nor any money for gym membership, so any exercise that could be done without weightlifting would be helpful.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 12:51 am

Stretch your back periodically, and focusing on strengthening your abs instead. If you have strong abs, those muscles will help support your back and help stave off injuries. Pilates is actually very helpful in a situation like that. :)

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2013, 2:32 am

I used to have a yoga ball instead of a chair (but the ball got a flat), and boy did I feel it in my core! I spend a few hours in front of the computer every day, and those core muscles got their workout, let me tell you, Now, I'm not capable to just sit still on a ball like that, I was constantly 'rolling around' on a small scale, a few cm this way, a few cm that way and I guess that helped a lot too. Still, I think you could get one of those balls for 5-10 bucks at wahlmart or something, it might be worth the investment. There are a multitude of youtube vids available for free that will teach you various back-strenghtening excercises too.
Other than that, anything that works your core will help.

Also, try to move around a little at your station instead of standing stock-still (shift your weight between your feet, take a babystep toward/away from your station, shimmey your hips, whatever, just keep your circulation going), and take frequent, short breaks (maybe even just 15-30sec or so) to strech out your back every 10-20 min, and start doing that from the moment you start your shift, not when you are starting to feel the strain.

Oh, and make sure that your shoes are not only comfortable, but gives you the best type of support and cushioning thet you need. In my country you can go to certain sports stores and they will liik ar your feet and gait and stuff like that and they can help you. Of course if you already know you don't have 'perfect feet', go see an orthopedic person who can help you.

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2013, 4:29 am

squats and crunches, and make sure you don't stay rigid in one place for too long.
If you are washing dishes you can still swivel your hips which should help prevent you from locking up.
I do 100 crunches every other day, and do 300 squats each weekend along with 40 laps swimming.
This have helped reduce my incidences of back pain, and also improved my recovery time when I do get back pain.
The simple things are the best, as you're more likely to do it if you don't have to go to the gym or get any fancy equipment.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2013, 6:39 am

FrankiDelano wrote:
any exercise that could be done without weightlifting would be helpful.

The biggest problem is the "slightly leaning forward" angle which you probably need to stand in, for your work. If you could occasionally (maybe every half hour) spend a minute or two doing this back-extension exercise, that might help refresh some of those aching muscles.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 2:42 pm

Squats, deadlifts, pendlay rows, yates rows and pull-ups/chin-ups are the best exercises for your back.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:37 pm

Back trouble often requires core strengthening before improving.
Try these:

1. Glute Bridge With Marching

Why: This exercise will improve hip strength and increase pelvic and lumbar stability.

How To:
Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Slightly brace your abs and lift your hips off the ground. Squeeze your butt to form a straight line from your knees to your shoulders. Without moving your body, lift one foot off the ground. Return it to the ground and switch legs. Alternate sides for 60 seconds and repeat for three sets

2. Offset Reverse Lunge

Why: This exercise will increase lower body strength and improve balance, coordination and pelvic and core stability.

How to:
Hold a weight in your right hand and stand with your feet hip width apart. Take a large step backward with your right leg. Go into a lunge. Return to the starting position by stepping forward and upward with your left leg. Perform 8-12 repetitions and switch sides. Perform 2-3 sets

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2013, 8:00 pm

I'm considering just using my paycheck to buy gym membership, getting there would be difficult, but not as difficult as living life with a bad back.

FlanMaster
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 9:40 pm

FrankiDelano wrote:
I'm considering just using my paycheck to buy gym membership, getting there would be difficult, but not as difficult as living life with a bad back.

Google core strengthening exercises and back strengthening exercises. lots there that only require some time. (15 mis or so each day.)

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 3:42 am

I had problems with my back to, specially with muscles that are rsponsible for pushing back your shoulders and moving the backside of the shoulder bones. Sadly training them is a bit hard, because with normal gymnastics you hardly can find any exercises training them. I went into gym, but couldnt stand the "vibrations" there. A cool and really cheap solution I have found is a "Theraband", a type of elastic cord, I bought second hand on the internet. It really helps you training that muscles easily, as example by stepping on that bend and lifting it from behind with straight arms, or you fix the band somewhere in shoulderhigh behind you, grab the ends and then move your arms forward and so on. Second hand theraband costed me less then 10 EUR, so much cheaper then the gym, and much less weird people. ^^

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 4:22 am

Thera bands are really good for rehabbing a weak back and loosening up muscles and tendons. When I was rehabbing a messed up back I was given a two page sheet of exercises to do for my back with the thera bands. The Thera band site has some good exercises to try out and if you google thera band exercises for the back, or something like that, you should be able to find even more exercises. After awhile I was told I can ease into weight training with free weights to get stronger.

FlanMaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:58 am

O.T. (my apologies)

Pondering, I like your avatar.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 3:46 pm

Thanks. If you ever get bored, you could check out the movie Electroma on Youtube, that is where the picture is from. If WP had a abstract movie that shows how it can feel to have Autism, this one could be a nominee for sure.

FlanMaster wrote:
O.T. (my apologies)

Pondering, I like your avatar.