Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:18 pm

Any other practitioners or fans here?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

Yes, both, at least if you count Eskrima to Kali (which I personally do, since it is just two words for the same thing). Also used to train Pencak Silat, but cannot pursue that atm due to schedule conflicts.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

starryeyedvoyager wrote:
Yes, both, at least if you count Eskrima to Kali (which I personally do, since it is just two words for the same thing)

Yeah. I think when they break it down technically Kali is knife, Arnis/Eskrima is stick, we have both (the Arnis aspect from one of Remi Presas's students who my instructor trained with for several years), and Panantukan for empty hands as far as the Filipino - to which we've also added a lot of southern Chinese Kuntao in with.

The other interesting thing about Kali, like Silat, is just how many subsystems there are. We went to see Dan Inosanto outside of Detroit this spring and he started discussing the difference between his Kali system, Lamaco, Pekiti, Balintawak, etc. - he's apparently learned from over thirty teachers and it seems like this stuff really seems to break down by tribe or village as they were all fighting each other for thousands of years and then held the Spanish off for over a hundred to top that off.

starryeyedvoyager wrote:
Also used to train Pencak Silat, but cannot pursue that atm due to schedule conflicts.

Silat's something I'd love to pursue more, Penchak is very strong. Per my teacher Silat is really an evolution of Kuntao but it still seems like it has an interesting flavor - particularly in looking at the Sumatran stuff. Supposedly Kuntao is still extensively taught in Borneo? Both seem like they dovetail great into Kali.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin