My biggest challenge is never on the field... - Team Sports

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

the thing that has really stopped me from fully enjoying sports has never been the sport itself. I'm obsessed with football/soccer and if I have nothing important to do I can spend countless hours just practicing and never get tired (even not eating). It's one of my obssessive/special interests. This sort of obssession with it made me progress in football/soccer so fast.

But I have never really enjoyed it 100% because it is a team sport. My main problem has been the team and I have never been in a team for more than a few months because I'm "weird". It's a problem with coaches too.

Oh well...
:roll:

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm

There are plenty of non-team sports out there. Try fencing.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 12:25 am

I had this problem a ton as a kid. It's sorta what made me give up on sports for a long time. Now, my big sport/hobby/special interest is ice skating. I'm into figure skating now, I considered hockey, but I just know I couldn't handle being on a team full of "cool bro" guys like that. I'm a really fast and good skater now, better than most hockey players I've seen, but yeah, I just couldn't handle playing on a team again.

Figure skating is really much more fun to me, too, I get to skate around and do whatever I want listening to anime music. If I get good, I get to go into pairs or ice dancing and get to skate with hot chicks. So, you know, turn your disadvantages to an advantage, and try to find a individual sport. If not, you know, one day, you might get lucky, some coach will see past your weirdness and you'll be able to just excel like crazy, but that might take a while.

It's good you're doing sports, though.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

^^ Have you considered racing in ice skating? You know like Apollo Anton Ono? It's competitive and individualistic.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

9512 wrote:
^^ Have you considered racing in ice skating? You know like Apollo Anton Ono? It's competitive and individualistic.

I've tried speed skating before. I quite liked it, I hope to get a pair of speed skates eventually. If I were to do speed skating, though, I'd do it on the side with figure skating. I like figure skating a lot, it allows me sort of an artist creative outlet. And there's hot chicks. Speed skating, though, it's really like "what a feeling" the blades glide so effortlessly down the ice. I've sharpened my figure skates in a rather unorthodox (nowadays anyway, but in the old days my way was more common) way to get them to glide better, and it really helped my skating in every way. I like figure skating, though, it's fun. Speed skating is fun, too, just I wouldn't do it "full time" I could be very great at speed skating if I tried, though. I train most like a speed skater when I work out for figure skating, I do slideboards and bench jumping, I always love getting more power in my skating, as it's the easiest improvement to see when you get back on the ice.

One reason I like figure skating, too, it's good for me visual spatially. It helps me in other areas I visual spatially have issues with like driving due to my NVLD. It allows me to sorta "think" a bit less and react faster to things and have better balance and posture.

One thing with really competitive speed skating, I don't know if I'd have the athletic commitment to do it. It's pretty much more athletic than figure skating, and figure skating is already very athletic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdKiY92WE40 Here's a video on how Apollo Ohno trains. Supposedly also, he can leg press 1000 pounds on one leg. I mean, figure skating's given me the ability to legpress like 200ish on each leg, but yeah, it's intense being a high level speed skater.

Speed skating is pretty sweet, really. Figure skating is damned competitive, too, like you don't even know. Girls cry over not being able to land moves in practice at my rink, it's EXTREMELY competitive, if anything, speed skating is significantly more "chill" attitude wise than figure skating, but it requires more physical discipline, whereas figure skating 70-80% of it is mental.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 10:41 pm

MacDragard wrote:
There are plenty of non-team sports out there. Try fencing.

This is one of the reasons that I chose to do fencing myself. May the best man win .. There can be only one etc., I love it.

I love soccer too and have the same problem, although i play recreationally. I think just like with everything else like getting a job, you gotta try to practice social skills with your team players, with time you will get comfortable.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 9:25 am

Vomelche wrote:

This is one of the reasons that I chose to do fencing myself. May the best man win... There can be only one etc., I love it.

I love soccer too and have the same problem, although i play recreationally. I think just like with everything else like getting a job, you gotta try to practice social skills with your team players, with time you will get comfortable.

The biggest challenge to me in sports was never the sport itself. It was always my poor social skills which cause me to be so... weird. But I LOVE soccer so much. I feel alive and I would REALLY want to compete SO BAD. Too bad I can't compete without a team...

I don't know. Is it really better to be a part of a team and be an outcast and just do what I love? What do you people here think? :?:

26 Nov 2011, 10:16 am

If you love soccer, then go for it.

It would depend on the teammates you play with.

Try out for a team or find a team and get to know the teammates.

Even if they are NTs they can sometimes be understanding of your personality and still respect you. If not, join another team.

I believe that no matter what the obstacles are, they can be over ridden with passion. Don't quit soccer.

Hope the best for you!

conan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

i like team sports but only in a non organised and not so competitive fashion. i don't understand the desire to be part of a sports team. What works best for sports teams is not conducive to fun in my mind. I like to skate, kiteboard and rock climb. All great individual sports that can be as social as you want them to be. Personally i find them more rewarding as they are about expression

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm

I am with 9512 on this one. If you like it, stick with it