Page 7 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Speaking of filling up, I can't beat oatmeal for fillingness for its calorie level.

As for rice, truth to tell, I don't like any rice by itself. I always soy sauce my white rice if it's served by itself or with other food that's sauceless. I guess I don't really like rice per se, but I love it with other foods. My wife likes plain rice, though.

I had some oatmeal this past weekend- they have all these different flavors at my salvage (where I do a lot of shopping) that I'd like to try.

I like to mix rice with this Asian Sesame spice blend (McCormick's?). I love carbs. So. Much.

Just got back from the gym. Walked another 900 calories off. Supposedly.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 1:30 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Speaking of filling up, I can't beat oatmeal for fillingness for its calorie level.

As for rice, truth to tell, I don't like any rice by itself. I always soy sauce my white rice if it's served by itself or with other food that's sauceless. I guess I don't really like rice per se, but I love it with other foods. My wife likes plain rice, though.

I had some oatmeal this past weekend- they have all these different flavors at my salvage (where I do a lot of shopping) that I'd like to try.

I like to mix rice with this Asian Sesame spice blend (McCormick's?). I love carbs. So. Much.

Walking is for girls, just become a powerlifter!

Oh wait, you are a girl. Oops.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 2:21 am

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I've honestly starved away so much muscle over the years that it's hard to do much else. :oops:
I meet with a trainer tomorrow, and plan to ask how I can replace some of my "skinny fat" with muscle.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 2:56 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I've honestly starved away so much muscle over the years that it's hard to do much else. :oops:
I meet with a trainer tomorrow, and plan to ask how I can replace some of my "skinny fat" with muscle.

Lift up the heaviest stuff you can, and keep doing it. It's rather fun in an OCD kinda way, just being able to beat what you did last week or a couple weeks before by 5-10 pounds. If you want, get Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength. Personally, my favorite weight exercise is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDg48VEdiJU Clean and jerk. That girl there weighs a little over half of what I do, and lifts about double as I can do. Quite emasculating, haha. By the way, you won't have to worry about looking "muscley" if you lift weights, unless you cut down to a lot of bodyfat. Because females naturally keep more bodyfat than men do anyway. It's my opinion that a lot of female OL lifters and powerlifters in the lower weight classes actually look quite great, especially their lower bodies. Female bodybuilders however, I think look kinda...freakshowish, rightfully so, as they're putting themselves into bodyfat levels that really aren't biologically even healthy.

To quote Mark Rippetoe, (oh man, he's a quotable guy...)
Quote:
Women who do look like men have taken some rather drastic steps in that direction that have little to do with their exercise program.

Quote:
Rip: "You would look better if you gained about 10 lbs of muscle" Woman responds with look of utter horror. Rip: "Trust me, I've been looking at women a long time, and I'm really good at it."

If you lift, you might actually be able to eat more close to a normal person, too. Seriously, it's sweet, I know I've kinda derailed this thread, but uh, yeah.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:18 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I've honestly starved away so much muscle over the years that it's hard to do much else. :oops: I meet with a trainer tomorrow, and plan to ask how I can replace some of my "skinny fat" with muscle.

remember to "train, don't strain." don't be in too great a hurry to get too much done too soon. injuries result if you do more than your body is ready to do too soon. circuit exercise equipment isn't always ergonomically well-suited for some people, especially those with long arms and legs, which can result in injuries like epicondylitis and such, that is what happened to me. anyways, you don't even need to belong to a gym, you can do a lot around the house, such as abdominal crunches, chinups and pushups. everybody has to start somewhere, so you might start with one of each. on the chin-ups start with just being able to lift yourself off the ground, don't even worry about reaching your chin yet. but on the pushups it is important to stick to the military style press and not bother with the "female" pushup where you pivot from the knees, those aren't good for anything. you can do at least one correct pushup, even if you can't go all the way down just yet. when you wake up in the morning, you can wrench out the sleepiness by forcing yourself to get on the floor with a cushion and do some crunches, your gut muscles will feel sore but you will eventually have more core strength from doing them along with the other two exercises. if you jump rope, that will exercise every muscle in your body and it only requires a jump rope and a bit of space. your muscle tone will eventually improve, and you will build more lean muscle mass. just do these things every time a commercial comes on the telly, and you will start seeing gains in a relatively short while. when you feel cold in the morning is a good time to exercise, as that will raise your metabolism and warm you up at the same time. [except for the jump roping which i am too damned clutzy to do] i do these things and have kept the weight mostly off and have become much less flabby, so i can say they do work for this old man at least. when i was in the army these basic exercises made me fit back in the day, and they continue to be useful today.

Last edited by auntblabby on 19 Jan 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 12:02 pm

Thank you both for the advice- I saw a video on YT from someone who's also lost a good amount of weight, talking about how so many people think weighing X number of pounds means they'll be X size, or be able to fit into X-sized jeans, and it's simply not true. While that might have been obvious for a lot of people, I admit my goals have been overly weight-focused, because I feel like that's the one "objective" measure of my progress- "my jeans feel less tight than a couple days ago, I guess" isn't really precise enough for an Aspie mind. :wink: Anyway.

That's how I got started thinking about gaining more muscle- muscle burns more calories than fat, so win, lose, or draw, even if I'm the same size and weigh more, I'll be in a better place, and be stronger.

A jump rope's a very good idea- I used to love to back when I was a kid, though I do the one foot at a time thing that for some reason made my brother call me an ostrich. :lol:

to his Interest."

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 9:08 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Just on a whim, just to do it, I once walked off 2,000 calories at once, according to the treadmill. I can never get close to that again, nor do I wish to. I just had that day totally free, and I felt like seeing what number I could get to despite the feet and legs discomfort in doing so. That was about 3 years ago. I enjoy walking so much, especially on nice days through nice neighborhoods listening to nice music.

1000Knives wrote:
Walking is for girls

Hey! :?

I actually used to drive to a picturesque neighborhood on a daily basis in order to walk through it. Actually, I would drive to a Barnes & Noble that was adjacent to the neighborhood, and then walk over to it, and spent the other half of the time in the Starbucks in the bookstore. I don't know if any of this sounds boring, but it was really fun.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:07 pm

Ragtime wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Just on a whim, just to do it, I once walked off 2,000 calories at once, according to the treadmill. I can never get close to that again, nor do I wish to. I just had that day totally free, and I felt like seeing what number I could get to despite the feet and legs discomfort in doing so. That was about 3 years ago. I enjoy walking so much, especially on nice days through nice neighborhoods listening to nice music.

1000Knives wrote:
Walking is for girls

Hey! :?

I actually used to drive to a picturesque neighborhood on a daily basis in order to walk through it. Actually, I would drive to a Barnes & Noble that was adjacent to the neighborhood, and then walk over to it, and spent the other half of the time in the Starbucks in the bookstore. I don't know if any of this sounds boring, but it was really fun.

I don't do that anymore.
I don't like being miles away from home, by myself, in a big city.
Sometimes teenagers or people yell things at me from their cars, and it scares the daylights out of me.

to his Interest."

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I don't do that anymore.
I don't like being miles away from home, by myself, in a big city.
Sometimes teenagers or people yell things at me from their cars, and it scares the daylights out of me.

Oh man, we're talking about TOTALLY different neighborhoods. I drove to one of the oldest, richest neighborhoods in my city -- a place where someone yelling out of their car never happens. This is a place of manicured lawns and utterly peaceful surroundings; I wouldn't drive somewhere that made me feel uncomfortable.

Man, speaking of rude/rowdy people though, my wife and I went to the movies last night, and the RUDENESS of people nowadays, at least at that theater, is getting off the scale. People walk straight into you without apologizing, angry hate is written on pretty much everyone's face as they look at you, and they laugh and shout into your ear as they attempt to communicate with each other. I mean, civility is just paper-thin these days in large crowds, and it can even get to where you don't feel safe, let alone like you're enjoying your evening. We're going to try a different theater next time. The previous time that we went there (which I had forgotten about until the rudeness last night), we witnessed one couple arguing to a point where we thought it might get out of control. One couple asked another couple to change seats to give them room to sit down, and the lady in the couple who was asked to move looked very obviously disgusted and annoyed, and then they changed seats. The man who asked them to move noticed her annoyance, and sarcastically said, "I'm sorry you had to move your purse", and she goes, "Ya, I'm sorry to". I mean, crap, if I'm going to pay $30 for us to see a movie, I don't want to have to wonder if someone might take something I do the wrong way and try to start something that could escalate. People are just really on edge these days, so that they just seem ready to go off on someone -- anyone who seems to challenge them.
/rant

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:04 am

Ragtime wrote:
Man, speaking of rude/rowdy people though, my wife and I went to the movies last night, and the RUDENESS of people nowadays, at least at that theater, is getting off the scale. People walk straight into you without apologizing, angry hate is written on pretty much everyone's face as they look at you, and they laugh and shout into your ear as they attempt to communicate with each other. I mean, civility is just paper-thin these days in large crowds, and it can even get to where you don't feel safe, let alone like you're enjoying your evening.

one reason i haven't been to a theatre in 11 years.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

I'm feeling weak, in a I'm-getting-sick way, so even though tonight is my workout night, I plan to skip it so I won't get all the way sick. That weak feeling is my body telling me it needs to get well, so I'd be stupid to push it through another one of my absolutely grueling workout sessions. Not sure if I'll just do the lighter "muscle maintenance" version in the meantime or not. I doubt they'll waste away in three or four more days of doing nothing.

I hope you all were sitting down for that. I lead a very exciting life.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:06 am

I've run myself absolutely ragged with school and the gym this week-
skipped the gym for two days now, and can't really see myself going today.
Will try to get back on track Monday.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:09 am

Ragtime wrote:

Man, speaking of rude/rowdy people though, my wife and I went to the movies last night, and the RUDENESS of people nowadays, at least at that theater, is getting off the scale. People walk straight into you without apologizing, angry hate is written on pretty much everyone's face as they look at you, and they laugh and shout into your ear as they attempt to communicate with each other. I mean, civility is just paper-thin these days in large crowds, and it can even get to where you don't feel safe, let alone like you're enjoying your evening. We're going to try a different theater next time. The previous time that we went there (which I had forgotten about until the rudeness last night), we witnessed one couple arguing to a point where we thought it might get out of control. One couple asked another couple to change seats to give them room to sit down, and the lady in the couple who was asked to move looked very obviously disgusted and annoyed, and then they changed seats. The man who asked them to move noticed her annoyance, and sarcastically said, "I'm sorry you had to move your purse", and she goes, "Ya, I'm sorry to". I mean, crap, if I'm going to pay $30 for us to see a movie, I don't want to have to wonder if someone might take something I do the wrong way and try to start something that could escalate. People are just really on edge these days, so that they just seem ready to go off on someone -- anyone who seems to challenge them.
/rant

Right, I saw a movie with a friend last night (wonderful movie about an Aspie kid!), and there were people laughing and making obnoxious noises during some emotional scenes.
Coulda throttled them.

My brother used to manage a movie theatre, and he got great pleasure out of throwing people out who wouldn't shut up. :twisted:

to his Interest."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:03 am

i hurt. every few dozen steps i have to stop and stretch my back and hip on one side. mr. arthur itis is having his way with me. i wish i could make him go away. at least i can still ride my bike, as the movements don't seem to be irritating my hip and back in the same way. but it's too damned cold over here to be riding a bike, there is still ice on the road. damn. it needs to warm up a bit.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

Ragtime wrote:
That weak feeling is my body telling me it needs to get well, so I'd be stupid to push it through another one of my absolutely grueling workout sessions. Not sure if I'll just do the lighter "muscle maintenance" version in the meantime or not.

I decided to be stupid. :oops: I couldn't help it -- the "maintenance" workout felt so good, that I had to keep going!
I didn't feel any worse/weaker for it for a couple days, but yesterday and today I'm not feeling so well. It's early nights to bed for me all this week -- that usually works. I'm just tired of feeling lethargic from whatever bug I have.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

So I got some vegetarian chicken pieces from the Asian market. I figure I'll probably get about 3-4 servings out of this 2.25 bag of it. The pieces are soy protein and seitan (wheat gluten) mixed, and I don't find them to taste terribly bad. They're honestly a good deal for me, as they're cheap, and unlike actual meat, they pretty much take less prep time. I gotta boil them for like 5ish minutes to eat them, but besides that, easier. No freezer or fridge required either, and they'll pretty much never go bad ever. They work wonderful for stir fries and stuff, and they're pretty light calorie wise. I need to eat a lot cleaner to lose weight by summer, I'm guessing about 170 pounds would be a good target weight, as I've put on more muscle, so as far as BMI numbers go, not that it matters all the time, it'd put me at 25, which would make me look a bit more reasonable. Right now, for skating, I look sorta unorthodox, as compared to most of the other male skaters, I look like a football linebacker.