Page 6 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 7:32 pm

So great you're accomplishing goals! :P

to his Interest."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I also love, love, love swimming, but alas, my gym doesn't have a pool. It will still be worth it just to not have to walk in the cold and be miles from home by myself.

every consider joining the YMCA? they generally have lap pools, as do Ballys' facilities.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 12:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
I also love, love, love swimming, but alas, my gym doesn't have a pool. It will still be worth it just to not have to walk in the cold and be miles from home by myself.

every consider joining the YMCA? they generally have lap pools, as do Ballys' facilities.

They're also super expensive. (The one near me wants $54/a month.)

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 1:23 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

That results in massive weight gain.

Sounds like you need more exercise. 500 calories seems like it's dangerously close to the minimum amount needed for the body to carry out it's basic functions. Do you have some kind of medical condition?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:42 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

gee, that is what they charged me in 2006 before i had to drop them. at least they haven't gone up since then. as an alternative, you could try local high schools in your area, at least one of them will have a pool you can use for a nominal fee. :idea:

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 8:51 am

snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Sounds like you need more exercise. 500 calories seems like it's dangerously close to the minimum amount needed for the body to carry out it's basic functions. Do you have some kind of medical condition?

Hypothyroidism. I said "500 on average" because most days I simply don't eat. I might have a few small meals on the weekends at the urging of my parents, which really stacks on the pounds, but during the week it's water only. Although this past weekend spent at the bf's was a real pigout. During high school, I went months sometimes without eating, and stayed obese. I topped out at 215 last year (I'm 5'1") and lost nearly a hundred pounds with weight loss medication, which I'm fighting like a dog to keep off. I can get down to 114-something if I'm by myself long enough, but the instant I'm with people, the nagging me to eat begins.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 8:56 am

auntblabby wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

gee, that is what they charged me in 2006 before i had to drop them. at least they haven't gone up since then. as an alternative, you could try local high schools in your area, at least one of them will have a pool you can use for a nominal fee. :idea:

Or I can bust out my snorkel and rubber duckie in the tub for free!

:nemo:

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Hypothyroidism. I said "500 on average" because most days I simply don't eat. I might have a few small meals on the weekends at the urging of my parents, which really stacks on the pounds, but during the week it's water only. Although this past weekend spent at the bf's was a real pigout. During high school, I went months sometimes without eating, and stayed obese. I topped out at 215 last year (I'm 5'1") and lost nearly a hundred pounds with weight loss medication, which I'm fighting like a dog to keep off. I can get down to 114-something if I'm by myself long enough, but the instant I'm with people, the nagging me to eat begins.

Sucks that you have to work against that. Don't you ever get light headed when walking? 500 calories just seems so low.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Sucks that you have to work against that. Don't you ever get light headed when walking? 500 calories just seems so low.

QFT. I know I can't say anything meaningful about nutrition to someone who is dealing with a condition like that. I pale to think of myself on 500 cal daily average! 8O

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Or I can bust out my snorkel and rubber duckie in the tub for free! :nemo:

gee, that's gotta be one thumpin' big tub you got :o

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:00 am

Ragtime wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

QFT. I know I can't say anything meaningful about nutrition to someone who is dealing with a condition like that. I pale to think of myself on 500 cal daily average! 8O

The real problem is being pressured to eat on the weekends by others. It means I have to constantly redouble my efforts during the week, or it starts to add up. Like, because of this past weekend at my boyfriend's (which still included me staying home while his family went out to eat and other incidents) I can't fit into any of my jeans, so I've been living in this one pair of ratty sweatpants, and yesterday I walked nine miles at the gym. I stayed for over four hours. I'll have to do the same thing today and tomorrow, and still won't be anywhere near where I was.
I'm due to visit my parents for two days beginning tomorrow, and my mom will freak out if I don't eat some of the chili she's made me. ~sigh~ She's got hypothyroidism, and doesn't diet (IE, eats regular meals), she just takes the medication, and I've never known her south of 250. It's only been recently due to illness that she was less than 300, and if I ate daily, I'd soon be there, too.
It makes me resentful, hateful, almost, that I feel so deprived while others mindlessly stuff their faces in one meal with more calories than I'd eat in a month. My boyfriend eats upward of 5,000 a day, sleeps half the day, and weighs less than I do.

to his Interest."

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

The real problem is being pressured to eat on the weekends by others. It means I have to constantly redouble my efforts during the week, or it starts to add up. Like, because of this past weekend at my boyfriend's (which still included me staying home while his family went out to eat and other incidents) I can't fit into any of my jeans, so I've been living in this one pair of ratty sweatpants, and yesterday I walked nine miles at the gym. I stayed for over four hours. I'll have to do the same thing today and tomorrow, and still won't be anywhere near where I was.
I'm due to visit my parents for two days beginning tomorrow, and my mom will freak out if I don't eat some of the chili she's made me. ~sigh~ She's got hypothyroidism, and doesn't diet (IE, eats regular meals), she just takes the medication, and I've never known her south of 250. It's only been recently due to illness that she was less than 300, and if I ate daily, I'd soon be there, too.
It makes me resentful, hateful, almost, that I feel so deprived while others mindlessly stuff their faces in one meal with more calories than I'd eat in a month. My boyfriend eats upward of 5,000 a day, sleeps half the day, and weighs less than I do.

Ya, it's definitely not fair. You work super hard at it, but it's such a struggle to prevail. I ate salad during my diet while my wife would literally sit on the couch next to me eating brownies or whatever other full-fat food -- and she barely ever gets above 100 pounds (she's 5' 0"), while I walk around practically looking pregnant even though I ate nothing but light food. But I can't really complain because I did at least make progress.

When I do get rid of my belly this year, to do so I'll have to lose so much fat that the rest of me will be wiry/sinewey, and hopefully not gross-looking because of that. So I probably won't decide to absolutely flatten the belly, because that would be going too far for the rest of my body.

Oh, and 1000Knives, brown rice? And... what do you do to fix the taste? I tried that in my Chipotle burrito, and it's nasty. It messes up the whole taste of the burrito, because it's so mealy. Had to go back to the white.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

I don't know, I think brown rice is fine, to me white rice always smells like urine unless it's jasmine rice or basmati. I'll eat it obviously, but I'm not a fan. I've had brown since I was little, so I'm biased.

As far as the taste, look for the freshest rice imo, brown rice is weird, in that it has oil in it, so the oil can go "bad" but in my experience, I've aten brown rice years old and found it didn't taste too different. The oil will kinda bitter over time, but to me, not much discernable difference. That and I never have bugs go into my brown rice, but white rice always ends up with flour bugs after like 6 months.

Anyway, uhm, if it's texture that's the issue, you basically gotta cook it longer so that it's not hard, and the hull splits. You can also maybe, as with any rice, soak it and wash it so some gluten comes off, too. As always, seasoning, usually brown rice needs more salt, imo, that's been one of my issues using it in the past, not enough salt added. Other than that, you may just hate it. I don't know, I quite like it.

As far as it being mealy, that's why I like it, it tastes and fills you up like actual food should.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 6:08 pm

1000Knives wrote:

As far as it being mealy, that's why I like it, it tastes and fills you up like actual food should.

I'm a fan of it for that very reason, calories aside. Very few things fill me up.
I can't speak for the taste- to me rice has no taste, white, brown, or purple. :lol:

to his Interest."

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm

Speaking of filling up, I can't beat oatmeal for fillingness for its calorie level.

As for rice, truth to tell, I don't like any rice by itself. I always soy sauce my white rice if it's served by itself or with other food that's sauceless. I guess I don't really like rice per se, but I love it with other foods. My wife likes plain rice, though.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Speaking of filling up, I can't beat oatmeal for fillingness for its calorie level.

As for rice, truth to tell, I don't like any rice by itself. I always soy sauce my white rice if it's served by itself or with other food that's sauceless. I guess I don't really like rice per se, but I love it with other foods. My wife likes plain rice, though.

I had some oatmeal this past weekend- they have all these different flavors at my salvage (where I do a lot of shopping) that I'd like to try.

I like to mix rice with this Asian Sesame spice blend (McCormick's?). I love carbs. So. Much.

Just got back from the gym. Walked another 900 calories off. Supposedly.

to his Interest."