Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

f**k yeah can't wait to watch the pre-season Christmas games in half an hour. Now that the Bulls have Rip Hamilton, they're gonna tear s**t up. Who are you guys rooting for?

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

I'm rooting for Dallas, but I've very little interest in the NBA.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

Can't wait for my Blazers to play, unfortunately without our hero, Brandon Roy.

Just glad to see basketball being played again, though. As Carl Sagan put it:

"This is fundamentally not a contact sport like football.
It's a game of finesse...a coordination of intellect and athleticism, a harmony of mind and body...
Basketball has become -- at its best -- the paramount synthesis in sport of intelligence, precision,
courage, audacity, anticipation, artifice, teamwork, elegance, and grace."

#7 Brandon Roy (2006-2011). Thanks for the memories.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2011, 9:09 am

^^ interesting quote. Who said it?

I am glad the NBA back even though Seattle doesn't have a team. I am resorting to cheering for other teams. I am liking Stephen Curry.

It's really hard to stick with a favorite team or any team for that matter because the business nature of NBA ball is dynamic and trades happen in a heartbeat.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2011, 1:03 pm

9512 wrote:
^^ interesting quote. Who said it?

Carl Sagan, astronomer, astrophysicist, Pulitzer prize winning author, and occasional captain of his intramural basketball team. :)

28 Dec 2011, 5:43 pm

Thanks.

BTW, my heart goes out to Brandon Roy. He is from Seattle and went to University of WA. He is loved here too of course. But this guy really loved basketball and because of health it's taken away from him. His health is more important for sure but gotta feel some pain for the guy.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2011, 8:07 pm

9512 wrote:
Thanks.

BTW, my heart goes out to Brandon Roy. He is from Seattle and went to University of WA. He is loved here too of course. But this guy really loved basketball and because of health it's taken away from him. His health is more important for sure but gotta feel some pain for the guy.

Yeah, I'm going to miss him. He was a great player and an even better person. Even if it's not likely, I still hope he can make a comeback someday.

But Seattle has many quality basketball players. I'm eager to see Jamal Crawford gel in with the Blazers this year.

Hopefully they bring back the Sonics, too. It just doesn't feel right to not have a team in Seattle.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 10:29 pm

9512 wrote:
Thanks.

The Brandon Roy situation is heartbreaking. I'm from Portland and a Blazers fan for life, plus I went to UDub at the same time he was playing there (I graduated in 05, a year before he did).

He was one of the purest basketball players and leaders I've ever seen. Not the most skilled in the NBA sense, but huge for his position, a pretty good handle and passer, an awesome help defender and a crazy clutch shooter. He was exactly the same in college.

That Huskies team in 04 with Roy plus Nate Robinson, Will Conroy, Bobby Jones, Tre Simmons and god damn it someone I always forget was among the most exciting college teams ever.

I don't think he will come back as a player but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he came back down the road as a coach.

08 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

The NBA emphasizes a lot of flash over substance. Nate Robinson was the more popular player but I think in his short in the league, Brandon Roy accomplished more than Nate the rest of his career. No knock on Nate but I always thought too much of the spot light was on Nate and not enough on Roy during their time at UW.

This NBA season is a little strange. There are lots of back to back to back games which means players are tired and this lowers quality of play.

Some players I enjoy watching are Luis Scola, Ray Allen, Derrick Rose, and Kyle Korver... I am partial to shooters (cuz shooting is perfect for Aspies) and also I like the post game. Luis' game is great to watch. Check out this spiffy move by Luis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ka3zqzq64U

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:24 pm

9512 wrote:
The NBA emphasizes a lot of flash over substance. Nate Robinson was the more popular player but I think in his short in the league, Brandon Roy accomplished more than Nate the rest of his career. No knock on Nate but I always thought too much of the spot light was on Nate and not enough on Roy during their time at UW.

This NBA season is a little strange. There are lots of back to back to back games which means players are tired and this lowers quality of play.

Some players I enjoy watching are Luis Scola, Ray Allen, Derrick Rose, and Kyle Korver... I am partial to shooters (cuz shooting is perfect for Aspies) and also I like the post game. Luis' game is great to watch. Check out this spiffy move by Luis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ka3zqzq64U
Korver is more enjoyable to watch now that he isn't so one-dimensional. I'm pretty partial to shooters too, but depth is king for me. That's a sweet play by Luis, I love how he pulled it off so smoothly.