Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

hi for one does it have to be completly gluten free or can it work if you just limit the gluten.

also how long does it take before one sees an effect?

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm

Hi. If you have celiac or are gluten intolerant, you'll be advised to go completely gluten free. It's a daunting diet, especially at first, but worth it. I've been gluten free for six years and experienced a reduction in symptoms within the first week. I've been vigilant about diet, keeping the kitchen/pantry free of gluten, and careful when dining out. But when I do have a (very rare) slip-up, my body definitely lets me know.

Have you received a diagnosis or is the diet simply something you want to try?

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 1:58 pm

its something i just wanted to try ive been able to cut the obvious sources of gluten such as bread and butthe reason why im saying limit is because the other things ive been eating have wheat listed as an ingrediant

also i like eating foreign food at places i cant always ask what is in the stuff. thats why im thinking just limiting gluten

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
its something i just wanted to try ive been able to cut the obvious sources of gluten such as bread and butthe reason why im saying limit is because the other things ive been eating have wheat listed as an ingrediant

also i like eating foreign food at places i cant always ask what is in the stuff. thats why im thinking just limiting gluten

I would get yourself tested for gluten intolerance first (I went to a gastroenterologist), go totally gluten-free for about 3 months and have a follow-up to investigate the effects. A proper work-up would involve endoscopy to examine bowel inflammation, which is not a pleasant procedure.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 4:43 pm

I went gluten-light about four months ago and have noticed a big improvement with my symptoms. One of the biggest changes was the amount of time asleep I needed to feel rested the next day.

When eating a wheat-inclusive diet, I needed 10-12 hours of sleep per day to do my job because it involves a lot of technical detail. Now, I feel awesome after just 4-5 hours of sleep each night.

If I drink alcohol before bed, however, I have noticed that I need an extra half-hour of sleep for each alcoholic drink I consume before bed. Last night for instance, I drank two glasses of wine at a play and consequently needed an extra hour of sleep this morning.

The lessened sleep requirements were a big surprise to me when I changed my diet.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

<< Moved, by member of moderating team, from general autism discussion >>

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

In my opinion, it is probably best to go completely gluten free if overly sensitive to the grain protein. But have also read of people feeling healthier and noticing benefits after avoiding gluten "80%" of the time. I'm not sure how 80% was determined, but recall reading that.

quirkyandlaughing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2012, 12:49 am

I went completely GF & noticed improvement within a week. I didn't have to go through the whole celiac testing ordeal because I had an allergy test & it revealed a mild wheat allergy. I lurked in a lot of celiac forums as I was getting used to the diet (which is more of a lifestyle change, IMO) & many said that their celiac tests came up negative several times before they finally got a positive. I was happy to be allergic so I didn't have to mess with all that confusion.

Anyway, I thought it was really hard at first but I'm so used to it now & find it pretty easy.