Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

shooterNorway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2012, 12:17 pm

I use to go to the shooting range two or three times a week, and practice target shooting with handguns. I have done so for 3 years now.
I find it calming and relaxing.
Someone may think that its weird, since it is a noisy place.
Hearing protection is of course needed, because that there is impulse noise rated at about 130 Db.

Of course, air powered guns is hearing safe.
So, is anyone here involved in the fine sports of shooting things like, shotguns, rifles, handguns,bows, x-bows and slingshots ?

clthomps
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

I love shooting my cross bow! Other than that I have rifles and shotguns and shoot them occasionally. I hunt with them and shoot them for fun.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

I love shooting rifles and handguns with my dad. He says I'm naturally good at it, but I don't get to practice with it much. He's a prodigy. I'm better with rifles than handguns because I've been shooting them for longer, although I'm fairly good with handguns too.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

I enjoy shooting with my dad. I generally shoot handguns, but I also enjoy low caliber rifles. I do have some problems with the noise, but if I double up on ear protection, and it is an outdoor range, I can handle it. I enjoy shooting well, but it is also one of the few "bonding" activities I can do with my dad. My dad has a tighter spread (mine is improving) but I will be the first person to knock a thumb tack out of the target.

shooterNorway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2012, 1:29 pm

Here in Norway, anyone can get hold of a silencer. My .22 caliber handgun sounds like a airgun if fitted with one. It also removes a lot of the recoil on a rifle, and does away with some of the noise. You will still hear the supersonic "crack" of the bullet, and that can be loud.

I dont hunt anything but paper moose's and reindeer. At last, its a fiber rich diet :lol:

I have shot this good with one of my handguns, fitted with a scope, and with a sandbag.:
Thats a electronic target, at 100 yards.

The handgun i use at that long range:
[img][800:575]http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/shooterNorway/2012-02-28_16-19-03_911.jpg[/img]

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:26 pm

I enjoy shooting rifles and shotguns. Finding a place to shoot close to me that allows me to use a larger round than 22 LR is proving to be a pain.

Looneytunes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

I have around 16 rifles, shotguns and .22's
The .22 Magnum is my favorite.
I shoot when I can.
But I got to the point of where I got too good and after that I finally had to just quit practicing.
When you get to the point of where you can put two bullets in the same hole at 200 yards - its time to quit.
There is nothing more to prove ..

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:25 pm

I need to get a handgun one of these days. I've got a GSG semi-automatic replica of the HK MP5K and the problem I have with it is, while the ammo's .22 and wonderfully cheap and all, I'll bore myself to tears at most normal gun ranges. Too much range on it. Next time I have the cash I might need to look into a good 9mm of some type.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2012, 7:41 pm

I have a Mossberg with birdshot. Plan to use buckshot soon and see how it feels. It's pretty fun shooting birdshot though.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I need to get a handgun one of these days. I've got a GSG semi-automatic replica of the HK MP5K and the problem I have with it is, while the ammo's .22 and wonderfully cheap and all, I'll bore myself to tears at most normal gun ranges. Too much range on it. Next time I have the cash I might need to look into a good 9mm of some type.

My first gun was a GSG5-PK (pistol configuration of your gun) and I still think it is fun to shoot. It's the closest thing to a handgun I own. I could probably conceal it under my trench coat if I tried, but it would be very uncomfortable.

My next 2 guns were an AR-15 (fun to shoot as well) and a Saiga-12 (a blast to shoot). I've never found a handgun that I enjoyed shooting so I stick to rifles and shotguns.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2012, 4:34 am

Indeed, I find the focus and breathing techniques involved with shooting well to be incredibly relaxing. Though this is at my grandparents' farm, not in a public range where I'm constantly being berated by the random blasts of other shooters. Unfortunately I'm unemployed and can't afford the ammo, so I haven't been shooting in quite a while.

Currently own:
Ruger Mini-14
Marlin 22 rifle
Sig P226 (40S&W)
Walther P22
S&W K22 (a 22 revolver my grandpa bought in 1950)