Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 12:16 pm

Is there a way to stop my heart rate from going through the roof when I'm in social situations, combined with the pressures of university and my other commitments?

I'm obsessed with donating blood and really want to do it, but every time I attempt, I have difficulty getting through due to having a heart rate higher than 100 bpm. Typically, on the first try, my heart rate measures 120 bpm. However, I have a feeling that aside from the fact that I am facing a new person in a noisy and visually stimulating setting, my heart rate is typically this high due to my general anxiety issues. I'm a Type A personality and university is driving me crazy because I have an OCD-like desire to finish everything and get too consumed in my work sometimes, which causes me to fall behind in other subjects. I also do volunteer work outside of school, which puts additional stress on me, but I want to make sure that I have enough experience to get me a job I really want to do. I am also worried about my money and spending habits, and it all adds up.

So how do I deal with this? I really want to be able to help people by donating blood... please help!

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

They won't let you donate blood with your heart rate up? That's wierd. My baseline HR is around 110/minute. It's always that way, and always has been that way. I also have very low blood pressure usually, so that combination can make people worry that I have some internal bleeding when I don't.

Some people just have naturally higher heart rates than others. I'd suggest checking it several times during the day, when working or stressed and also when relaxing. Right it down and find your average. Also, when your heart speeds up during stress, it will slow back down. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you already have heart problems.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

I'm not a doctor and I'm guesing, but they might be using heart rate to determine how much blood loss you can tolerate. That is, when a person is dehydrated or bleeding out or whatnot their HR goes up to go up to compensate for lesser blood volume in their body.

But you're probably right bout other things like stress or just naturally having HR being possible. Maybe you could see your doctor and have him/her check you out and write you a note.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

Thanks a lot! I guess my high heart rate is probably an inherent thing and might not be as horrible of a thing as doctors and nurses want me to believe. I will go to the doctor and try to get a check-up. The clinic here is tricky because Fridays are walk-in only and I have no time for walk-ins. *sigh*
One thing I do wonder, though, is how the doctor will be able to find out what my true heart rate is. Because I might be just as nervous about a check-up as I am before a blood donation.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:13 am

Beta blockers help.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:18 am

MathGirl wrote:
One thing I do wonder, though, is how the doctor will be able to find out what my true heart rate is. Because I might be just as nervous about a check-up as I am before a blood donation.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm totally guessing again, but I imagine he'd make sure that you were in good health (and that you don't have really low blood pressure) and then maybe just write you a letter to take, to go and try donating to see what happens.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:48 am

I have never heard of not being able to give blood due to a high heart rate. Perhaps you can try using some relaxation techniques when you go, such as deep breathing, meditation...or whatever works for you. You can also explain to them that you are kind of nervous and I'm sure they'll be as accommodating as they're able to be.

If you want to find out your true heart rate, you can just use your fingers and a stopwatch and measure it yourself by counting the beats per minute :D

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 5:35 am

Interesting. My pulse rate is usually pretty low. Generally athletic people have low pulse rates but I get very little exercise. My resting pulse is generally around 55 but I have seen it as low as 45. Whenever I get my pulse tested at a doctor's it comes out as normal because I am anxious and for me it is pretty high.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Mar 2012, 10:54 am

Are you on any meds (Adderall, Dexadrine, etc) for ADD? I am, and so are many other HFA/Aspies. Those meds will keep you pulse at about 90-100 at rest, and that's why doctors are very careful about prescribing it. The best way to bring it down quickly is to take a water pill (hydrochlorothiazide, etc). In the long run, you can bring it down at rest by doing regular cardio workouts. But be sure you don't have a physical problem causing the raised pulse before you do any workouts!! !!

Charles

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 5:05 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
I have never heard of not being able to give blood due to a high heart rate. Perhaps you can try using some relaxation techniques when you go, such as deep breathing, meditation...or whatever works for you. You can also explain to them that you are kind of nervous and I'm sure they'll be as accommodating as they're able to be.

If you want to find out your true heart rate, you can just use your fingers and a stopwatch and measure it yourself by counting the beats per minute :D
I think a miracle has happened... I have actually ended up looking up different techniques to slow my heart rate, and decided to stick with what seemed to be the most drastic - taking a cold shower. When I went to the donation place and my heart rate was first measured, it was 114 bpm (perhaps due to me having moved shortly before sitting down) but then, I relaxed a little bit after talking with the nurse and my second measure showed 100 bpm, so I got through. I was so happy! But my body temperature was quite low, obviously, but it didn't stop me from giving blood. I understand that this was a quick and dirty fix, though, so I will be getting a doctor's note before my next donation appointment.

I think I'll also need a countdown timer, not a stopwatch, to measure my heart rate since I'll be focused on counting my heart beats and not watching the time. But I can always find that online, I guess, even though I don't have a physical device like that at home. I'll try it someday.

kx250rider wrote:
Are you on any meds (Adderall, Dexadrine, etc) for ADD? I am, and so are many other HFA/Aspies. Those meds will keep you pulse at about 90-100 at rest, and that's why doctors are very careful about prescribing it. The best way to bring it down quickly is to take a water pill (hydrochlorothiazide, etc).
Nope, I don't have ADD in the least, just Asperger's. I think my heart rate is so high because I am very sensitive to environmental changes and I am very easily sent into the fight-or-flight mode. I am also extremely excitable, especially by my own thoughts. Unfortunately, water pills are prescription (from what I can see) but my family doctor has tried to prescribe to me random things in the past, so I don't see how I would have any difficulty asking her for any prescription. I know, it's dangerous, lol. And she's pretty far away from me now, so I'll have a wait a bit until I could see her, or I'll just have to go to the clinic we have here, where the doctors are probably not as easily convinced as mine when it comes to prescribing drugs.

Anyhow, thanks again!

jackalan996
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2012, 12:30 am

Heart is the most important and sensitive part of our body. It need more care as compare to other body organs. A healthy person have a heart beat b/t 72 to 75. Above from this is a danger. It is due to high level of cholesterol, high blood pressure , over weight and fat level.
In this situation you have to neglect fat and oily foods items and doing daily exercise.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:11 am

jackalan996 wrote:
Heart is the most important and sensitive part of our body..

Seriously? More important and more sensitive than the brain?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

jackalan996 wrote:
Heart is the most important and sensitive part of our body. It need more care as compare to other body organs. A healthy person have a heart beat b/t 72 to 75. Above from this is a danger. It is due to high level of cholesterol, high blood pressure , over weight and fat level.
In this situation you have to neglect fat and oily foods items and doing daily exercise.
I don't have any of these conditions. I'm borderline underweight and my blood pressure is normal. So I'm confused.