ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 May 2012, 1:01 am

Joker wrote:
ouinon wrote:
Joker wrote:
ouinon wrote:
... In relation to hebrew/jewish use of dairy. ... Why did they separate [ dairy ] up from certain other foods, even to the point of keeping special crockery and cutlery for it ... so that the food opioids, or the milk-sugar, in it didn't contaminate other foods? Though wheat has its own food opioid in the gluten in it, perhaps there *is* something particular about the one in dairy, our original/million-year old "baby-food", which triggers something different in our bodies. ... .
Back then health was very important in jewish life Moses wanted to keep his people as healthy as he could.
One reason that occurs to me may have motivated the "law" about not eating red meat/animal flesh at the same meal/the same time as dairy is that the food opioid in casein ( in dairy ) contains, ( like gluten in wheat, rye etc ), a chemical that triggers increased intestinal permeability during its transit, as well as, in the case of dairy, a chemical that triggers accelerated transit time, both of which effects could potentially be seen as risky/an issue when combined with meat consumption because of increased vulnerability to bacteria in the meat and an insufficient time to thoroughly digest and absorb the fats and proteins in it. Just hypothesising. :)
Yes plus their are a lot of good laws about food and nutrition in the old testament.

I was looking last evening, ( after googling to find out precisely which books/chapters in the bible the food laws were in ), at Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14, but didn't find any food laws apart from the two long lists of rules about which animals to eat/not eat and the single line on not cooking meat with milk/dairy ... :?

Are there others somewhere else, that I've missed? It seems a rather limited list of do's and don'ts otherwise, not nearly as wide-ranging/comprehensive as I expected. Which ones do you mean when you say there are lots of "good laws about food and nutrition in the Old Testament"?

I also happened to read quite accidentally, ( while googling where the food laws are in the Bible ), that apparently the rule about "not eating or cooking dairy with meat", ( which is only in Deuteronomy, ie. almost as an afterthought, it's a lot later in Moses' lifestory ), may have had nothing to do with healthy eating but been because neighbouring tribes at the time were cooking kid goats/lambs in their mothers milk as part of a different/non-jewish religious ritual of sacrifice to "ensure" fruitful/successful animal husbandry, and Moses suspected or worried that "his people" were copying this.

Last edited by ouinon on 03 May 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 May 2012, 1:27 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Yeah. Tried that bit. It's taken damned near a decade for me to figure out what keeps the weight off. I certainly don't get off on exercising that much. I loathe every second of it.

Shame about loathing the exercise, especially when you do so much of it, almost like having a job that you hate, which can apparently be very bad for your mental and physical health. :( Isn't there some other kind which you would enjoy? I have tended to hate exercise too, but since "discovering" all the free online workout-videos of various kinds, ranging from straight cardio/aerobics through "Core"/bodyweight training to weightlifting via MMA kickboxing stuff, all of which can be very aerobically intense, such that get quite a cardio-workout doing them, *and* being able to pick and choose and customise which videos, which presenters, which music etc to use, I'm *actually* enjoying a lot of it! :lol

Re. being obese until cut down to 500 calories a day:

I am wondering whether you could eat more so long as you totally avoided carbohydrates, ( sugar/sucrose *and* the lethal fructose, as well as all the starchy carbohydrates like cereals and potato ), so that you still got enough of the essential saturated and polyunsaturated fats and proteins, ( a deficiency in all of which is unfortunately a slow-burn insidious thing which builds up over years such that for a long time you aren't aware of the lack ... ), because there are a lot of people, ( especially those with northern/cold climate ancestry ) for whom carbohydrates are really difficult for their body to handle, and which are always turned into fat, especially in the presence of/in combination with gluten ( in wheat, rye etc ), and to some extent dairy, because of the chemicals in these two food opioid plant storage proteins which trigger the body to "store" as much and as fast as possible.

Just a thought. :)

Maybe you have already tried excluding most/all carbos while eating everything else/plenty of healthy meat/fish/eggs etc, and/or already been on a gluten and/or casein exclusion diet?

I've found that even eating small amounts of starchy carbohyrdates ( even brown rice ) makes me put on weight, however much exercise I do, especially if I eat it in combination with protein, which is a real pain because I love tuna-rice/kedgeree. I love pizza too, but have been gluten-free for over 4 of the last five years because of how it affects my mental health aswell. And I increasingly have to limit my fructose consumption too because it is damaging my heart ( fructose is increasingly widely acknowledged to be bad for the heart, and mine is a case in point after years of compulsive/daily high fructose consumption especially fruit juices, dried fruits, honey, and cereals ).

I'm increasingly eating lots of fish, some meat and eggs, plenty of veg/salad, and occasional bouts of dairy, but less and less fruit. Still succumb on a regular basis to macaroons, chocolate, fruit-binges, way too many pistachios at a time, and the occasional basin of fish-rice, etc but the suffering that this increasingly reliably induces ( night sweats, congested chest/lungs and coughing, despite giving up smoking last year, a tight heavy "bar"/ache across back, difficulty breathing during effort, etc ... all signs of heart disease despite being tall and fairly slim ) is gradually, step by dragging step, training me to avoid them. :lol :(

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 6:47 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Eating around 500 calories a day and 6 hours on the treadmill isn't a healthy lifestyle. It's not a normal routine.

You're confusing "normal" with "average".
There is incredible variation in the physiology of human beings.

Mine is such that I became obese eating next to nothing,
and my weight shoots up the instant I consume much more.

I have no identifiable weight or thyroid-related pathology.
There just exists a spectrum of metabolisms.

I think there's an argument to be made for some people's "set points" being much higher than popularly-considered "healthy",
but in my case, I don't suffer from any detectable nutritional deficiencies, so it really isn't a matter of health, at least not physical.

Actually, eating 500 calories a day and running six hours a day stalls your metabolism. This is why marathon runners have higher bodyfat levels than sprinters, bodybuilders or soccer players.

Except that I was obese my whole life up until now...it preceded my current state, by about 22 years.

Because you burned less calories than you consumed. I was slightly chubby in my childhood and obese in my teens. I ate what my friends and family ate and was just as active.

It's not prevented me from being lean in my 20's because I do not exaggerate my workout routines. If anything, my slow metabolism makes it very easy for me gain muscle today.

Yeah. Tried that bit. It's taken damned near a decade for me to figure out what keeps the weight off. I certainly don't get off on exercising that much. I loathe every second of it.

This site is quite good:

http://www.leehaney.com/women%20weight%20loss.htm

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:30 am

I've been shifting my eating habits since December toward what Ouinon is doing and it's seems to be working for me. I had not heard low carb specifically related to a northern genetic heritage, but I'm basically German-Irish.

As for food symptoms I feel a helluva lot better just avoiding starch. Also cut down on bread. I was at a Lent fish dinner where there was potato with a fish sandwich and my stomach felt horrible and bloated afterward. I've basically quit potatoes.

If have Asian food I will allow a modest amount of white rice and try not to have things like General Tso or Orange Chicken that is really fried with breading. Best thing I think is the Mongolian BBQ.

I do like my regular eggs with what I consider Good Carbs like peppers, onions, and tomato. Also throw in some mushrooms.

I like the same Good Carb veggies in salad with my favorite Bleu Cheese Dressing.

I still have burgers but half the time toss the bun. No french fries though.

I'm doing a modest exercise routine. Some curls with barbells and resistance band exercises. Recently doing stepping for cardio.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:19 pm

I was going to make a joke about making a workout video sponsored by Krispy Kreme, but I feel hung over from all the doughnut eating. None survived. Now I have a hangover. It didn't even wait until the next day...My alcohol hangovers aren't this bad.

Now I remember why I've stayed away from those things for so long.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 May 2012, 1:49 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I had not heard low carb specifically related to a northern genetic heritage, but I'm basically German-Irish.

:) I'm German-northern English with apparently celtic roots somewhere.

The low-carb and cold climate/northern connection is because people with that ancestry have far fewer ( I think it's five times fewer ) genes for amylase production than people with a more southern/warm-hot climate background, and amylase is essential for proper carbohydrate digestion specifically starch and other complex carbohydrate breakdown. Amylase is not just present in the saliva but also secreted into the stomach to finish off carbo breakdown. Its lack or deficiency has a dramatic impact on how well the body handles all carbs and also on the type of bacteria which flourish in our guts, which also massively affects our health. :)

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 10:46 pm

I am always trying to eat healthy and I like to think of it as eating a balanced meal. So at lunch I will try to include a vegetable and a fruit, but may just eat fruit and not a vegetable and the same goes for dinner. So I eat balanced meals and think of it as I need a protein, some starch, a vegetable, a fruit and always something sweet such as a few pieces of chocolate or a few cookies. I drink water or sugar free tea and sometimes coffee with one creamer. I rarely eat fried foods, but do not rule them out and eat them every once in awhile and one of my favorite fried foods is vegetable tempura or authentic fish and chips in London :wink:

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:29 pm

I'm just a very picky eater, I avoid as much s**t like oats, carbs, cereals as possible and eat a piece or two of fruit a day. If I'm hungry I'll usually go to the kitchen and cut a small ring sized piece off a bannana. Don't eat sandwiches, eat salad mainly, boiled eggs. I refuse to eat deep fried foods or stuff that just doesn't seem very natural. I'm not perfect though, I like sweet stuff but if I get a sweet teeth I mainly run to a bag of trail mix which isn't the best thing to do since it has lots of preservatives and you can go through a big easily and its like..at least 15 servings. Ouch.

My biggest vices probably are asian stuff, like sushi (lots of starch in that rice) and most asian stuff. Its all so good. Oh well. Just drink water too. I'm fine with meats but I rarely eat them much outside of boiled eggs since we don't have a wholes food. I'm just..really impartial to meat, yeah I'll eat and a good rare steak is nice but whatever. I absolutely love spinach, always have. Creamed spinach is an evil vice I rarely partake in..but its good :twisted:

Don't really care if my eating habits aren't perfect. I don't want to juice up and have tons of muscles and s**t, hate the body building scene.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:32 pm

I don't eat very healthfully. I overeat often and have an eating problem that has features of bulimia (no dx). I just should avoid buying candy or chips or cookies in large quantities or I'll eat them all in one go, but sometimes I binge on bread, fruit, etc., too. I eat brown rice everyday along with a bit of meat or veggie meat substitute and some vegetables. I do think I eat enough fruit generally speaking.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 10:08 pm

I eat SO healthfully that people I talk to want to hire me as a nutritionist,I kid not!
Vegan,gluten and soy free,macrobiotic,cannot have fruit due to Candida.I live off beans,grains and vegetables with VEGA and hemp protein powder.I start the day after exercising with warm water and lemon with bee pollen,then chlorophyll,spirulina,Garlic pills,vitamin E,then have a smoothie with fresh cucumber,VEGA protein powder,fresh ginger and turmeric.I've never felt better in my life!
I encourage everyone to give veganism a try,for SO many reasons!
Namaste,
Tajna

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:16 pm

ouinon wrote:
I am wondering whether you could eat more so long as you totally avoided carbohydrates, ( sugar/sucrose *and* the lethal fructose, as well as all the starchy carbohydrates like cereals and potato ), so that you still got enough of the essential saturated and polyunsaturated fats and proteins, ( a deficiency in all of which is unfortunately a slow-burn insidious thing which builds up over years such that for a long time you aren't aware of the lack ... ), because there are a lot of people, ( especially those with northern/cold climate ancestry ) for whom carbohydrates are really difficult for their body to handle, and which are always turned into fat, especially in the presence of/in combination with gluten ( in wheat, rye etc ), and to some extent dairy, because of the chemicals in these two food opioid plant storage proteins which trigger the body to "store" as much and as fast as possible.

That's extremely interesting- I'd love to read the source.
Carbs do tend to be immediately put on me. And I do so love potatoes. :(
I was lactose-intolerant as an infant.

to his Interest."

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:27 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Strange. So was I. I'd drink the bottle, and have to be restricted to a hard floor area until I threw it up.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 12:52 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Strange. So was I. I'd drink the bottle, and have to be restricted to a hard floor area until I threw it up.

You'd think that be a cue to STOP GIVING AN INFANT something.
But no, no- I was put on medication to suppress my immune system. O_o

to his Interest."

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:22 pm

Im doing football and track and field starting next month so im getting myself in shape.
I run to the gym and lift for 2 - 3 hours.
Then i walk around the neighborhood
occasionally i do situps

I eat cheerios for breakfast
bosco sticks for lunch at school
Cereal and cottage cheese sandwich before workout
protein bar for afterwards
bread and something light at 7 for dinner

then situps

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 1:26 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
I eat cheerios for breakfast

It's best to workout in the morning as you burn more fat and to be honest, sit ups won't work the core completely. You need high intensity explosive training geared towards the sport you want to train for, lifting for two to three hours is far too long, try to cut down the time you rest in the intervals and focus on intensity.

Also you aren't going to get built on that diet, try chicken breasts, try fish, rice, peas as these foods don't have a high amount of fat in them and they have a high source of protein.

http://www.rosstraining.com Ross training sells a few good books on how to condition your body for a sport, P90X is also a good program if you are looking to get into shape.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm If you are looking for a program that trains body building, they have some great workout routines.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 9:44 am

Pre-gym

Protein shake - 1 scoop of whey isolate and water.

Breakfast/post-gym

Three poached eggs on toast with olive spread & salt & pepper
Protein shake - 1 scoop of whey isolate, milk and 1 tbsp of honey

Lunch

100 g grilled chicken breast
1/2 cup steamed green beans
1/2 cup steamed peas
1 small diced chilli
1/2 cup brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
Shredded fresh basil leaves

Dinner

Chilli con carne including ground beef, barley, lentils, soy protein, carrots, onions, kidney beans, haricot beans, celery.
1/2 cup brown rice
Large dollop home-made guacamole

Snack

Half a grapefruit
Handful of cashews