Were you physically fit as a teenager?

Page 5 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Tor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 May 2012, 4:32 am

I swam regularly (5 days a week) from the age of 12 to 15 and also played competitive water polo so I guess I was quite fit back then.
After leaving school I didn't do much exercise apart from walking and a little cycling until I was 32 when I took up running to lose weight and get fit. I 'obsessed' over running for nearly 5 years and took part in races regularly from 10k to marathon and usually ran around 30-40 miles a week.
Now I'm 43, not running, and getting fatter by the week, but I do walk around 6-7 miles every day. I do miss the feeling you get from being fit and hopefully, 1 day will be able to run again.
I've tried most drugs, legal and illegal but nothing comes close to the feeling you get after a good workout! :D

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:48 am

Catamount wrote:
We don't have a scale at my house, but just by looking I'd put myself somewhere around 190-195 (at 6'00) ... I'm not cut at all but I have very good tone at the moment.

Or not ... spotted a scale in the gym locker room and decided to weigh myself this morning. The verdict? 208. I guess I feel smaller than I really am. The funny part is that my wife guessed it exactly right. Must be from checking me out so often. :D

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 11:25 am

... and to keep on topic, this compares to 5'04, 110 pounds at the end of my Junior year in High School.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 5:15 pm

I didn't put on any weight until I was 11, until then I swam for my school swim team and trained most days. My friends and I spent a lot of time hanging out playing football in a local park, and in a local arcade when they were still hugely popular, and because my dad had a relatively well paying job I was the first of my friends to get a home computer for Christmas during that early Commodore 64/ZXSpectrum/MSX period. Back when you loaded games from cassette and carts. We were all very into videogames. Because of that, my social life became slightly stunted as everyone would come back to my parent's house after school to play videogames and again after dinner and homework. The house was a three story thing, so I had a fairly big bedroom of my own which became a sort of clubhouse and FREE GAMES and TV.
Shortly after, I got sick of the regimented swimming training, and while I wasn't training anymore, my diet was still the same, so combined with that and the fact that I didn't get out as much as I did previously I began to become less and less fit and put weight on.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 5:43 am

Kurgan wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I had excellent endurance, but was husky being my body doesn't allow me to get thin no matter what I do.

And for the people who say it's all diet and exercise, you're idiots. Period.

For a 75 kg man, 1700 calories aloe are used to maintain body temperature. Nobody's bodytype gravitates toward more fat than the upper-end of the ideal body fat percentage (which means 22% in men).

I have a slow metabolism; I still managed to cut down to 7% body fat last autumn.

http://healthmeup.com/photogallery-diet ... myths/5923

I don't even know if my problem is metabolic. There are a lot of other factors that medicine knows of (thyroid) and factors we don't know about. I'm convinced of this. I live a healthy life, bike to the gym daily, watch what I eat, and I still am overweight (not obese, but not ideal.)

And from what I've read of yours, you can keep your self righteous opinion to yourself, as you sound ignorant to the point of being crazy. Of course you wouldn't know it, as ignorant people never can see their own ignorance no matter what they're told. And I'm not bothering to read anything else you say. It's just more garbage.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 9:08 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

I don't even know if my problem is metabolic. There are a lot of other factors that medicine knows of (thyroid) and factors we don't know about. I'm convinced of this. I live a healthy life, bike to the gym daily, watch what I eat, and I still am overweight (not obese, but not ideal.)

A man's ideal fat levels are between 15 and 22 percent. Most likely you're Underestimating your caloric intake. An hour of cardio training VERY RARELY burns more than 800 calories.

If you have thyroid problems, there's more likely than not other people in your family with it. It can be managed and there are several fitness performers who have it.

Quote:
And from what I've read of yours, you can keep your self righteous opinion to yourself, as you sound ignorant to the point of being crazy. Of course you wouldn't know it, as ignorant people never can see their own ignorance no matter what they're told. And I'm not bothering to read anything else you say. It's just more garbage.

So because I achieved sonething you didn't achieve, I'm ignorant? Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2012, 9:30 am

Calm down please, and while you're doing that - read this:

Quote:
Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

Link to WP rules: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt73833.html

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 3:51 am

We're not allowed to hate on all the fatties for being too stupid to count calories
and CHOOSE not to fulfill their "genetic potential"? :roll:

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 4:00 am

Kurgan wrote:

So because I achieved sonething you didn't achieve, I'm ignorant? Haters gonna hate, I guess.

You're ignorant because you repeatedly post blatantly non-scientific declarations as if they're fact.

Weight is determined not only by diet-n-exercise, but by an amalgamation of factors, including genetics, the environment- physiological and psychological, socio-economic class, race, medical disorders, and more.

The level of your obsession with the myth that it's easy to be thin or even "achievable" for all people is such that you essentially assert anyone who differs from your paradigm is deluded or stupid.

You refuse to address the fact that a good portion of people who are obese suffer no actual health consequences for it.

If we want to talk about "fitness", let's talk about that-
there are overweight and obese people running marathons at this very moment.
Swimming. Biking. Hiking. And more.
And they stay obese because no one biological state is reducible to a single factor-
that's contrary to everything known about biology.

to his Interest."

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 4:12 am

Yes, but the point is no-one cares about the facts. It's like the cliche of complaining about being big-boned. No-one gives a s**t.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 4:18 am

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
Yes, but the point is no-one cares. It's like the cliche of complaining about being big-boned. No-one gives a sh**.

That's why it's laughable to attempt to engage some people in conversation about the subject-
people prefer to cling to simplistic myths which allow them to assign blame to people they (not-so) secretly-judge.

to his Interest."

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 4:28 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Yes, but the point is no-one cares. It's like the cliche of complaining about being big-boned. No-one gives a sh**.

That's why it's laughable to attempt to engage some people in conversation about the subject-
people prefer to cling to simplistic myths which allow them to assign blame to people they (not-so) secretly-judge.

Yes, not everyone who is fat, is fat as a cause of some medical complication, some are lazy, take no exercise and overeat. The perception for most is the latter. People judge, go figure. To suggest there isn't a negative slight toward fat people in society is laughable. You either know this or you need help understanding because of your Spock-like AS.
This is just going in circles and frankly I've had enough of being browbeaten by shut-ins.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 6:02 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
You're ignorant because you repeatedly post blatantly non-scientific declarations as if they're fact.

If it's been proven right, it's not non-scientific. Obese people will always find excuses to why "they simply look like that", regardless of what science proves.

Quote:
Weight is determined not only by diet-n-exercise, but by an amalgamation of factors, including genetics, the environment- physiological and psychological, socio-economic class, race, medical disorders, and more.

It's determined primarily by diet and exercise. When it comes to genetics, thyroid problems aren't even remotely common in women below 50 and several studies have shown that most fat people don't have a slow metabolism.

When it comes to socio-economic factors, high protein food, fruit and oats are very cheap. The stuff about race is BS; I've never seen a race where everyone's fat.

Quote:
The level of your obsession with the myth that it's easy to be thin or even "achievable" for all people is such that you essentially assert anyone who differs from your paradigm is deluded or stupid.

300 lb people who claim that this is how Mother Nature intended them to look, are deluded. Being thin isn't easy, but it is achievable for (litteraly) 99% of the population.

Quote:
You refuse to address the fact that a good portion of people who are obese suffer no actual health consequences for it.

In Norway, obesity kills more people than smoking.

Quote:
If we want to talk about "fitness", let's talk about that-
there are overweight and obese people running marathons at this very moment.
Swimming. Biking. Hiking. And more.

I've never seen a fat person who regularly ran marathon.

Quote:
And they stay obese because no one biological state is reducible to a single factor-
that's contrary to everything known about biology.

They stay that way because they eat more than they burn. There are no (none, whatsoever) studies suggesting that people gravitate towards being fatter than their ideal weight, at least not enough studies to dispose of the scientifically accepted null hypothesis. Anyone who claims that genetics are singlehandedly responsible for their weight problems are beating a dead horse.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 6:13 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Yes, not everyone who is fat, is fat as a cause of some medical complication, some are lazy, take no exercise and overeat. The perception for most is the latter. People judge, go figure. To suggest there isn't a negative slight toward fat people in society is laughable. You either know this or you need help understanding because of your Spock-like AS.
This is just going in circles and frankly I've had enough of being browbeaten by shut-ins.

People who claim they're fat entirely because of genetics, might actually scare other obese people from trying to lose weight.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 1:20 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

I never said "most people" are fat because of a medical complication. I said being overweight or obese is an amalgamation of many factors, such as education, economic class, race, and more, because, statistically, IT IS. Unless you truly mean to imply uneducated poor people are for some reason more lazy than others? I'd think the opposite.

Urm. I know first-hand that there's prejudice against fat people, having been one most of my life.
Did you mean to respond to someone else with that bit?

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 1:31 pm

Fat people should all just become super heavyweight powerlifters. They got their big boned and slow metabolism lemons and made lemonade. Yay.