*"Physical Activity/Exercise Support Thread"*

Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Fun cardio this morning. Spent 20+ minutes on warm-up, ( it seems to take my muscles and/or tendons and/or blood/circulation? a long time to really warm-up, relax and get moving ), using a Japanese and then a German warm-up routine on Youtube, and then switched to a new Japanese video that we found on YT yesterday for another 10 minutes of slightly faster cardio before moving onto a wonderful 7-minute "High-Intensity-Burst" of MMA/combat workout ( from somewhere in South America! :lol ... Edit. Venezuela :) with great music ) which achieved that delicious aerobic buzz/high and all-over fuzzy feeling etc. :D

Cardio is the best. :D I love that feeling afterwards, ( *when* I spend long enough on warm-up to be able to speed-up painlessly but dramatically for at least one 5 minute all-out HI-burst at/near the end ). :D

PS. I love using all these foreign-language ( to me ) workout videos on You Tube because I'm really "picky" about/hypersensitive to both people's use of language, ( grammar, idiom, vocabulary etc ), and their voices, especially accents and intonation, such that I find very few of the english language workouts ( those available for free online/on You Tube anyway, especially the US ones ) tolerable ... one reason why was so deeply disappointed when Les Mills pulled/removed the awesome 20 minute body-combat workout with Rachael Cohen, ( the one which I have since heard was originally given out for free in cereal packets for a promotion a while back too!! ! :( ), because I absolutely loved her australian-english voice ... the energy!

PPS. This is the music on the 7 minute MMA/combat HI-cardio-burst: "Radio Hardcore" by ItaloBrothers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pxQCJaIBk8

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pxQCJaIBk8[/YouTube]

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

ouinon wrote:
Felt better for eating very lightly indeed for two days, just fruit ( 2 melons, 3 peaches, and several apples ), a couple of pots of plain/unsweetened live-yoghurt and one tin of steamed-mackerel in dash of olive oil plus some lettuce. But today I made a tuna and yoghurt and parsley and garlic "mush" in the afternoon that just "had to be" eaten with rice-cakes ( not bread because I'm on a gf diet ), but feel instantly much heavier and hotter and less energetic and suspect the rice/starchy carbohydrate.

I think you'll find that some people do extremely well on carbohydrates like rice, potato, pasta and other grains (Like Wolf, the lucky bugger!), and some of us do horribly on them (like me).

Rice is the most easily digestable grain, but even that slows me down. You might be better off sticking to meat/poultry/seafood with vegies and some of the healthier fats (olives, avocado, coconut milk, Macadamia oil, etc) with only the occasional bit of rice in there after a really hard workout. See if that takes away the "slow and sluggish" feeling.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 9:31 pm

I just went to a Rodizio ;DDDD

I ate at least one pound and a half of pure meat today. Plus a liter of milk.

I'm gonna miss this place~

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

Awww now I want steak, chicken heart and girlled pineapple. :(

I'm hungry again now.
Evil you are! :razz:

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:27 am

I'm definitely going to stretch and hit the core today as I hit the upper body yesterday.

Quote:
Angela says:
true its dark when u stand up further from cam lol
stand closer
omg the abs
ones of hottest abs and chest ive seen

Some girl seems to think I have the best abs and chest on cam, I must say that's subjective but it's a good complement. As you progress, people will notice your results more and more and that can be very rewarding and motivating

The benefits you will get to your confidence, physical and mental well being and long term benefits are amazing. Most of all you have to believe in yourself, go hard and focus, do that and you will see true results.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 9:27 am

Heh, yesterday was the first time in weeks I took a shower in a bathroom with a mirror. The results are showing :P

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 1:36 am

Shatbat wrote:
Heh, yesterday was the first time in weeks I took a shower in a bathroom with a mirror. The results are showing :P

Good work, bro, good work.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

That's great, Shatbat! :D

Kjas, I love chicken hearts too, don't get them very often though, and chicken livers as well so long as they're organic/bio/free-range. :) ... Re. cereals: yes, it is extremely frustrating not to be able to eat starchy cereals especially the glutenous grass-grains/seeds because they are such a good cheap staple if can tolerate them ... I keep going back to rice, trying it again, hoping ... but ... :(

I managed to keep up the exercise the last three days again :) ; another great cardio on Sunday, then weights and some core on Monday/yesterday, and another, ( if rather shorter ) cardio today, ( because was feeling rather achey and heavy and "weak"/floppy, probably not coincidentally after succumbing to some luscious almond-rich raw-sugar marzipan yesterday! :lol ! ).

Kittenmancer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2012, 3:38 pm

Stats: Female, 1.5 m, 55-60 kg (derp, don't actually know, I don't weigh myself).

This has been a pretty active week for me. I've been watching the women's weightlifting events at the Olympics and felt very inspired, so Monday I put in an extra session on top of my usual weightlifting (at the moment doing Smolov Jr. on the squat, with bench, deadlifts and assorted barbell/kettlebell assistance exercises). I tried a barbell snatch for the first time and got a little over 20 reps in total, and some 10 reps of clean & jerk at 40 kilos. Wednesday had another lifting session, today I picked up the lunch time bootcamp classes (hardcore stuff), tomorrow I have another lifting session scheduled.

For goals, the numbers on my lifts need to go up. I also need to get better endurance, hence the bootcamp class because I loathe pretty much every form of "cardio" except for martial arts, but there's no room in my schedule for those at this point.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 4:10 pm

Kittenmancer wrote:
Stats: Female, 1.5 m, 55-60 kg (derp, don't actually know, I don't weigh myself).

This has been a pretty active week for me. I've been watching the women's weightlifting events at the Olympics and felt very inspired, so Monday I put in an extra session on top of my usual weightlifting (at the moment doing Smolov Jr. on the squat, with bench, deadlifts and assorted barbell/kettlebell assistance exercises). I tried a barbell snatch for the first time and got a little over 20 reps in total, and some 10 reps of clean & jerk at 40 kilos. Wednesday had another lifting session, today I picked up the lunch time bootcamp classes (hardcore stuff), tomorrow I have another lifting session scheduled.

For goals, the numbers on my lifts need to go up. I also need to get better endurance, hence the bootcamp class because I loathe pretty much every form of "cardio" except for martial arts, but there's no room in my schedule for those at this point.

Wow, Smolov? Free weights? Not many women do that, kudos! How much are you squatting, benching and deadlifting?

As good a moment as any to say that I had a good amount of chicken hearts and yup, they were delicious. Didn't know about fried pinneaple though, I never went to the salad bar.

Thanks Wolfheart, and I must say that I'm not deluding myself, because several people have commented on how bigger I look compared to before.

Ounion, keep going! Good to see you're motivated.

And about progress: I've been progressing with my handstand pushups (against a wall for balance by now). I started out doing negatives, and then gradually lowering myself and pushing back up when near tipping point, and now that tipping point is near the floor. Soon I'll have to put my hands on a pair of books to allow my head to go lower. I was today able to do a straight-leg bent-knee back lever with my calves perpendicular to the floor, and the rest of my body paralell, and hold that position for 10 seconds. My upper back is killing me now though :lol: Within two, maximum three weeks, I'll be able to do a proper back lever, I'm so looking forward to that!
Eating one extra daily egg, found a place where they sell cheap whey protein, and bringing peanuts to the university to eat as snacks. Soon I'll start carrying around a carton of milk, to have one extra liter per day.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 6:28 pm

^^^
I think I see a capoeirista in the making! :razz:

Kitty: Nice on the lifts!
You're not the only one who despites cardio (or gym torture in general) :lol:

Kittenmancer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm

Shatbat: Handstand push-ups? Wicked! The back level looks insanely difficult. 8O
Props!

My lifts are pitiful. I trained on and off since January, too many breaks, too little sticking to the program. Squat is around 70 kg, I haven't tried for a 1RM in a while so not entirely sure. Bench is 50 kg (3RM, heh). Deadlift, again I haven't tried for a 1RM in a while, 80 kg is 4-5 reps. The deadlift is my favourite. <3
I'm tracking my workouts on Fitocracy and combining my love of lifting with my passion for games - I'm level 27 now, rawr.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

Okay, so I need to get back in shape and write more regularly, so I have devised a plan that I think will make both of those happen. Every day I will do twice my page count in just push ups and sit ups. I'll add more once I get over the lazy body wall, but I don't have too many options with nothing but body weight exercises available (and not much room for those) and a bad knee that keeps me from certain things. However, every day that I don't write I will add another set of one page count until I write again. I'll probably let myself get away with just some editing when I don't sleep well or have a rough day at work. This will increase my workout slowly, provide a structure for working out (obnoxiously necessary to have any sort of long term follow through) and provide a structured incentive to write.

The final part of the plan is to make myself use this support thread to keep track of my page count and any extra I give myself being lazy along with what all I add to my routine. Feel free (encouraged?) to give me crap for not writing or not rounding out my workout routine in a week or so. I need to get my s*** together. `-`

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm

Aha! finally a topic that suits what I want to talk about!

After deciding that I should push on with more than just my cycling - which isn't rerally long distance or speedy, but enjoyable - I've decided I will sign up for the gym and give it a go. I'm working on a budget though, and all this malarky about specific shoes and gait and that panarama programme has got me confused.

Mizuno has done some sort of online test that promotes me for the Inspire 8's which are a hefty £70...
I don't even know if I could use them for cycling or gym or neither...

I want to give this a real go, but there's so many questions before I can even start....

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 9:45 am

One minute ago, I went from a dead headstand to a handstand, instead of starting with the handstand and lowering myself as I usually do.

HA!

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Aug 2012, 12:06 am

:D Wow! Shatbat, i"m still doing "press-ups" in an *upright* standing position ( leaning at about 45° against a door ) and I still struggle with the last inch or two ( nose approaching door )! I've always had massively feeble arms though. One reason I want to carry on doing this is for the arms and upper body strength so that I can use the second-hand scooter I bought last summer and which felt alright on a big flat open area but as soon as had to handle slopes and small winding streets at slow speeds and at a standstill was simply and shockingly way too heavy for me to control/hold on to. :(

That routine sounds amazing, Kittenmancer. :)

J-Greens, what questions do you have? I'm keeping my routine really simple, at home, about 25-40 minutes each time, using lots of free videos mostly on YouTube, cardio, bodyweight/core, weight-lifting, callanetics and stretching, ( videos ranging from very short but very useful, at 5 minutes, through 10 to 45 minute ones ), and a few weights.

Rebel_Nowe, how's it going with the writing-workout combo? Have you ever done NaNoWriMo ( min. 50,000 words in a month/November )? I did it in 2010; 62,000 words. :) It definitely helped me keep at it. Good luck. I suspect that the "system" you describe would have me writing even less ( to reduce the amount of exercise )! :lol

I took a day off last Wednesday, then did about 40 minutes weightlifting and core on Thursday, 35 minutes core and bodyweight exercises on Friday and then a mild cardio with stretching on Saturday. Yesterday I took a break again, after an absolutely abysmal/catastrophically bad night's sleep ( various reasons ) ... now waiting for son to wake up so can do a mixed stretch/callanetics and core plus cardio this morning! :) And I've lost another 2kg, down to around 60kg ( for 175cm ); getting closer to my "happy" weight ... probably because of completely cutting out fruit-juice, a couple of weeks now, and fairly steadily avoiding starchy carbs, fat, sugar and salt, though, rather than the exercise. :)

This afternoon I'm off on a six day silent retreat, where I won't have internet so no YouTube videos, but I may manage to do a bit of walking and stretching?