Page 2 of 17 [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:08 am

b9 wrote:

chocolate has a homogenous texture, and i dislike homogenous textures in my mouth.
it is like eating butter. butter makes various things taste nicer due to it's addition (as does chocolate), but eating the raw product is sickening after a small amount because it is so concentrated and rich. like whipped cream. who would eat a bowl of whipped cream? few people could stomach more than a few spoons full, and i can stomach even less.

I like eating butter raw but we rarely have butter in our house, only margarine. I only eat a little plain because a lot would be unhealthy but I like it.

I could eat a bowl of whipped cream plain. When I get cool whip I eat it plain out of the container. I also eat my reddi whip by squirting it in my mouth.

I'd probably drink a glass of grease plain but that's pushing it even for me. Not because I wouldn't like it but because it's so unhealthy.

When I was a kid I liked to eat plain salt. Now I only take a little taste sometimes to make my mouth taste salty.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:16 am

hyperlexian wrote:
i think people who manage to lose weight and keep it off for their whole life should be understood as anomalies with superhuman willpower.

Or maybe they're just cleverer than you seem to realize!

There are lots of ways to put off weight and keep it off by just learning how to replace all the junk in one's diet with better alternatives. A good example of this is to eat apricots. They're delicious, but also notable for having low kilojoules. The problem is that most people would rather stuff their face with Tim Tams and Oreos, which are a bajillion times more kilojoule-dense. The reality about this world, is that people are CLUELESS, CLUELESS, CLUELESS when it comes to nutrition, especially Americans.

And, all that thinking and being smart about your diet = more calories burned too, lulz! The brain burns 20% of your energy, you know.

Last edited by Shau on 14 Jul 2012, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2012, 7:20 am

Shau wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i think people who manage to lose weight and keep it off for their whole life should be understood as anomalies with superhuman willpower.

Or maybe they're just cleverer than you seem to realize!

There are lots of ways to put off weight and keep it off by just learning how to replace all the junk in one's diet with better alternatives. A good example of this is to eat apricots. They're delicious, but also notable for having low kilojoules. The problem is that most people would rather stuff their face with Tim Tams and Oreos, which are a bajillion times more kilojoule-dense.

And, all that thinking and being smart about your diet = more calories burned too, lulz! The brain burns 20% of your energy, you know!

Apricots =/= cheesy breadsticks.

When I come home feeling like I just climbed Mt. Everest, my first thought is not and has never been, "Oh god I need an apricot right this second!"

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:21 am

minotaurheadcheese wrote:
Apricots =/= cheesy breadsticks.

When I come home feeling like I just climbed Mt. Everest, my first thought is not and has never been, "Oh god I need an apricot right this second!"

Have you ever ACTUALLY managed to wean yourself off of bad food before? You'd be surprised at how easy it is to think "mmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmm apricots!" after a hard day of whatever, once you've taught your brain to stop caring about stuff like soda, grease, butter, etc.

9/10 times, once a person has managed to ACTUALLY cut out all the ice cream, soda, etc, they have that freakish realization "Holy s**t....I actually don't even care about stuff like cake anymore!" It's because it is addictive, you know. I think Wolfheart gave a good discussion on this earlier. The really refined stuff such as found in sodas and stuff are a million times worse in this regard.

Buuuuut........you're generally quite fine with fruit. Mmmm, apricots!

Last edited by Shau on 14 Jul 2012, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:31 am

hanyo wrote:
b9 wrote:
etc

I like eating butter raw but we rarely have butter in our house, only margarine. I only eat a little plain because a lot would be unhealthy but I like it.
i do not like margarine. it is like petroleum jelly that is artificially colored and then salted.
hydrogenated vegetable oils are not nearly as palatable as pure butter in my opinion.

hanyo wrote:
I could eat a bowl of whipped cream plain.

i can understand the ability to eat bowls of ice cream, but eating a bowl of whipped cream seems preposterous to me.

hanyo wrote:
I'd probably drink a glass of grease plain but that's pushing it even for me. Not because I wouldn't like it but because it's so unhealthy.
i guess there is no accounting for taste.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:59 am

Some very good points and eating healthy is worth it in the long run, not just for the mental and physical effects but it also helps in areas such as aesthetics. My body fat lower and I feel much healthier and confident now that I eat healthy.

Here's some shots from a few weeks ago.

I definitely think that it's better to think about the long term consequences of what you eating instead of thinking about the short term relief you will feel from the taste of something.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:05 am

There are also healthy alternative, these chocolate bars I make have 10 grams of protein per serving and only 1.4 grams of fat because I use alternative ingredients. That's a huge difference compared to chocolate bars you can buy in the store.

The trick is to replace the butter in the recipe with baby food and to use sweetener instead of sugar.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:10 am

I dunno about you, Wolfie, but I'm pretty fond of the sugar rush I get from a nice juicy apple or something.

It's my gooooooooooooooooooooooo juice! I love running, so you get a high from the sugar, then a high from the run. What could possibly be better for fixing your dopamine cravings?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:24 am

hyperlexian wrote:

I completely agree about the cocaine part.

But your above part I do not agree with. One of the places I grew up we really didn't have fat people. The reason that we didn't is because we didn't have processed food - I mean literally, none.

However - take those same people here and they gain 10 - 15 kgs in the first 2 years. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Processed food affects both our brains and our bodies in ways we don't even fully understand yet, and the parts we do understand we know it's definitely not good.

Too much refined and processed sugar alone has a proven impact on our brains and bodies. And that is without considering trans fats and all sorts of other chemicals, addictives and other things that go into processed food, even if you want to exclude the two highest intolerance groups of gluten and dairy, which are also contained in most processed foods along with some kind of sugar.

I know first hand after living here how big the switch back to natural food for me was - there were huge differences. Despite what people argue, it's not all about willpower. I know once I got used to natural food again, I couldn't stand the taste of the processed stuff - I would spit out normal peanut butter in disgust because it was too salty and sugary for me. Give your body, brain and tastebuds time to get used to natural food and you might be surprised. Of course, they would still need to adrress the psychological issues - doing one without the other would be pointless.

Last edited by Kjas on 14 Jul 2012, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:31 am

Shau wrote:
I dunno about you, Wolfie, but I'm pretty fond of the sugar rush I get from a nice juicy apple or something.

It's my gooooooooooooooooooooooo juice! I love running, so you get a high from the sugar, then a high from the run. What could possibly be better for fixing your dopamine cravings?

The odd touch of sugar doesn't hurt, I tend to avoid sugar and I don't eat any fruit.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

Quote:
I know once I got used to natural food again, I couldn't stand the taste of the processed stuff.

I just wanted to bold that part for people. I always have myself a nice little guffaw when I hear people talking about genetics and dopamine deficiencies and all that, and then explain it all as the reason they can't stay slim.

You ever wondered why Japanese people are NEVER FAT?

Ok, sorry. That's not true. There's plenty of fat Japanese people. Living in America.

Wolfheart wrote:
The odd touch of sugar doesn't hurt, I tend to avoid sugar and I don't eat any fruit.

Your body can handle quite a ton of go juice from natural sources such as fruit. You can have way more than a touch!

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2012, 9:57 am

Wolfheart wrote:
Some very good points and eating healthy is worth it in the long run, not just for the mental and physical effects but it also helps in areas such as aesthetics. My body fat lower and I feel much healthier and confident now that I eat healthy.

I definitely think that it's better to think about the long term consequences of what you eating instead of thinking about the short term relief you will feel from the taste of something.

Waa... 8O

I stopped taking sugar in my tea when I was 14 even though I liked the taste. I just didn't feel good ingesting sugar like that cos it made me tired after a while. I think fruit makes me feel good though.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 10:55 am

Shau, people who lose weight are not cleverer than others. they are either less physocally addicted to overeating or they can live with painful withdrawal at various degrees. the 5 year success rate is quite low, and the 20 year success rate is vanishingly small. have you ever been fat?

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Shau, people who lose weight are not cleverer than others. they are either less physocally addicted to overeating or they can live with painful withdrawal at various degrees. the 5 year success rate is quite low, and the 20 year success rate is vanishingly small. have you ever been fat?

Kjas wrote:
I know once I got used to natural food again, I couldn't stand the taste of the processed stuff.

I'm gonna say this very plainly for you. Once you stop eating all of that garbage, you stop wanting it.

It took me two weeks of eating fruit instead of icecream, toasted muelsi with sultanas instead of Coco Pops, apple juice instead of soda, and I didn't want sugary, fat-loaded, processed foods anymore. Same thing happened with both my mom, my sister, my bro, many many friends, etc. It's the same story every time: "Oh hey! A bit later and I'm quite happy eating this healthy stuff! And I have improved energy levels, and I've lost/maintained weight!"

Now, as for having been fat? Not exactly. I have been average before. Now I'm very slim, because I run and eat right. And I don't weigh myself down with excuses.

[edit] However, my mother has been very fat before, and managed to lose quite a lot of weight. Her story is exactly like mine. To this day, she happily enjoys a banana instead of Tim Tams or icecream, and your brain will reward you all the same for eating it.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

hyperlexian wrote:

Hyper - my point in the previous post was this: If these people who are perfectly healthy and considered thin, put on 10-15 kgs, putting them in the overweight category, in the first 2 years of eating processed food, how much weight do you think people will put on after a lifetime of eating it?

And is it any wonder so many diets fail when usually they do not get rid of processed food (they limit it, which keeps you addicted to it), and when psychologically diet programs are set up to fail?

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 12:22 pm

Shroomy wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:

Waa... 8O

I stopped taking sugar in my tea when I was 14 even though I liked the taste. I just didn't feel good ingesting sugar like that cos it made me tired after a while. I think fruit makes me feel good though.

That's good to know, fruit is a good source for vitamins, antioxidants and energy but just find out what works for you, fruit is fine in moderation. Foods that uplift are typically ones with a good source of protein such as chicken, tofu, fish and peas.

The problem when it comes to fruit on a diet is that it contains a high amount of fructose, which can make losing weight slightly harder in some situations. The liver can store approximately 50 grams of fructose and then any more taken in after that will turn directly to fat. I think fruit is fine in moderation but I don't recommend eating large quantities of it.