Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Has anyone ever said you "bounce" when you walk?
yes 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

JanJan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 9:49 am

I vaguely recall reading something somewhere about people on the spectrum having an extra bounce in their step - perhaps a premature pushoff. I;m curious if anyone out there has this "bounce" in their step?
My mother has it, I have it, my brother has it. It tends to become more obvious if we're excited about something.
:?:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

yes, for that reason i couldn't march properly in the military, so whenever i was on marching duty [drill and ceremony] i instead was sent to the mess hall for KP duty, so as to not mar the drill's gloriously uniform marching formations :roll:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:25 am

I've had strangers stop me to point out how my son and I walk exactly the same. It does feel a bit awkward at the gym, when I'm on a treadmill next to a mirrored wall...

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

In my case, I bounce because I frequently toe-walk. Being up on my toes and either not touching the ground with my heel at all or only touching down lightly with my heel makes my entire gait more springy and bouncy.

I find I can take that bounce out by wearing shoes that prevent me from toe-walking -- combat boots, for example. The trade-off, though, is that I can't walk as far in heavy shoes that hold my foot down to the ground without experiencing a lot of pain, especially the next day when the exertio catches up with my muscles.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 12:44 pm

I used to bounce a lot (and recently saw a female athlete who did too so I'm not the only one) and was mercilessly made fun of for it. People would point it out as if it was as easy as stopping. I have the opposite problem now. I tend to drag my feet and wear out sneakers because of this, likely due to picking up skating as an adult.