Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 9:08 pm

How do people not feel guilty eating?

This is honest question as I feel just as guilty having a protein shake an burger from the local take away shop. I end up either eating nothing or feel so guilty and agonise over for the rest of the day.

This is a serious issue as i feel guilty now even though i am dizzy but i have to go ride a motorbike.

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 9:17 pm

Do you feel guilty for those who go hungry because of poverty? I'm trying to understand.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 1:59 am

I'm guessing because of overeating. Idk I never had weight problem. Always ate natural food, and had the anxiety burn extra calories. I love good food though.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:05 am

More that all food that goes in = calories. Calories = fat.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:11 am

Well, if you ask how people don't feel guilty eating, then maybe it's because not everyone has a problem with fat. Some people can have a high body fat content and not feel bad about it. Others may have a metabolism that just keeps them from getting too fat. Or do exercise that requires extra caloric intake.

I, for one, feel guilty for not eating :lol:. Sometimes I skip meals on weekends because i don't want to cook and I don't want to leave home, and then feel bad about it. So basically everybody has their own set of problems, and has their different reasons to feel guilty.

DannyRaede
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 10:36 am

Not all calories = fat. Certain things do, such as.... well, fat. But think about it this way:

Eating is your way of giving your body energy. Kinda like a battery or a plug into an electrical outlet, except with food. If you give it the right combination of things (you know what I am talking about, healthy food, lots of fruit and veggies, not so much processed s**t) then it performs better, and you gain more energy. If you do not eat, you do not get energy, and then you die.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

Solvejg wrote:
More that all food that goes in = calories. Calories = fat.

it's not that simple though. if you don't eat enough your body can actually put on fat and just leave you with no energy to live. I rarely feel guilty over eating but i occasionally regret eating bad food. more often i feel i have done well to avoid bad food than guilty for eating it

i prefer to have a little excess energy that i need to burn off than not enough as feeling weak when exercising really sucks

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm

A lot of western prepared food is high calorie, low nutrition and cheap. So you just get fat, but you body is never satisfied. Good thing healthy food is starting to come around now and the government is encouraging it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:42 am

i have a deal with myself, if i eat something yummy i have to work it off somehow. because i am lazy that will discourage me from eating said yummy food. this works 90% of the time.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 9:02 am

Sounds like you mind want to see someone about that.

If your eating a healthy diet there's nothing to feel guilty about.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 10:00 am

Sounds like disordered eating. fyoured.tumblr. com <-- Check out that site, you may find it useful. :)

Also, this quote: 'Here’s the truth: There is no guilt-free food because your disorder is manufacturing the guilt. Pie does not come with guilt, nor do cookies, cake, pastry or anything else involving copious amounts of sugar and fat. How you eat, when you eat, and what you tell yourself about the person who is eating, creates guilt.

Food is for sustenance, for keeping us alive and, most importantly, food is for joy. It’s meant to be shared with others, savored for its sensory pleasures, and appreciated for the feelings of closeness it generates between people. This is why we have cake at birthdays. Food itself does not have guilt—we assign it guilt because of something we feel about ourselves. Food is part of joy because it is part of life. If for some reason you can’t find joy in it, please, please talk to someone about it—not an anonymous internet person—a person who will gladly share a piece of cake with you when you are able. Eat responsibly. Don’t eat (or not eat) to fill a void or to try and look a certain way. Eat to live and to celebrate. If this seems hard (I promise that it’s not; I can do it and I’m hopeless at everything), then please, please talk to someone.' ieatbutter.tumblr. com (I'm new so I can't do links. >.<)

Also, perhaps look up fat acceptance? Fat really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and especially for females, the hatred of fat is tied up with misogyny.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:29 pm

I don't understand it, either.

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 2:31 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:

Also, perhaps look up fat acceptance? Fat really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and especially for females, the hatred of fat is tied up with misogyny.

I totally agree-
but it's hard to totally live inside one's head.

The world sees fat people- especially fat women- as disgusting.

to his Interest."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Well, f**k that s**t? :lol:

I'm not saying I like being fat, I'm just saying that I refuse to let anyone else make me feel like I'm disgusting (I do that enough on my own, but that's another story).

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 11:08 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Well, f**k that sh**? :lol:

I'm not saying I like being fat, I'm just saying that I refuse to let anyone else make me feel like I'm disgusting (I do that enough on my own, but that's another story).

I wish I could not care how people view me/treat me.
I really do. :(

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:34 am

I usually end up leaning more on the side I'm not eating enough, due to weightlifting. Which can cause me to overeat. Eat more=stronger, it pretty much works that way. But eat too much, eating garbage no less, makes you look bad and feel bad. But for me, I can eat like...a lot. It's not uncommon for me to eat like 4000 calories a day and not gain weight from it. Wiggin, you should lift weights, then you might be able to up your calories by a decent margin. It's hard to really gain strength without a lot of food intake, so I've had cycles where I've been really restrictive in my eating, and it's not done me good. However, there's a limit to things. If I take things to their extreme, I'll look like Vasily Alexeev:
That beast of a man ate like a 30 egg omlette everyday, all kinds of crazy stories about him like that. I don't know if it's true, but he says he never used drugs, and if the 30 egg omlette is true, I could see why. He at least used less drugs than his contemporary Serge Redding, Serge was like 30something and already bald on top of his head. Yay for not knowing how steroids worked back then.

Food guilt isn't something you should burn yourself out over, though. Obviously eat sensibly, and healthily, but, a calorie is not a calorie. One thing I'm looking into now is TCM food theory, and it's quite neat stuff. That and eating for different bodytypes/metabolic types. Quite neat stuff to look at. My experience, though, as long as what I'm eating is home cooked from scratch, and made with good ingredients (organic is best) I can pretty much just eat as much as I want, then introduce processed food, I can get fat retardedly easily. I gained like 10lbs just in 3 weeks vacation. So, if you want a bit less food guilt, just try making everything from scratch and see where that gets you. I think another plus of cooking is, your food isn't "instant" you gotta wait for it. So very little like "on demand" kinda food. That and the activity takes energy. Honestly for me sometimes, cooking is just done because I'm bored, though, so that can make you fat I guess.