Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 11:20 pm

Do people here go to doctors when they are coughing or they buy medicine?

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 8:42 am

I generally take cough drops or a cough syrup if I have a cough that lasts a few days. If it doesn't go away in about a week- I see a doctor usually to get something strong and to make sure it's not something very serious.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

Around Thanksgiving, I had a cough that kept me awake throughout the night. It all started with an innocent little soar throat, then the cold, then the cough, turned to bronchitis and a sinus infection. The doctors told me that people should get the cough checked out if they have it for a week or more, and especially if it doesn't get much better or keeps them awake.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Around Thanksgiving, I had a cough that kept me awake throughout the night. It all started with an innocent little soar throat, then the cold, then the cough, turned to bronchitis and a sinus infection. The doctors told me that people should get the cough checked out if they have it for a week or more, and especially if it doesn't get much better or keeps them awake.

I do want to go to the doctor, I'm waiting for my new health plan card. I think I might have bronchitis (my mom had that, she had to stay in the hospital) I do have a nose problem.

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm

A generally reasonably sound approach, is to buy medicine in the first instance, and then consult a doctor "if symptoms persist for more than <insert time>" as usually stated on the medicine's label. Any cough that persists for 3 weeks or more without getting significantly better is grounds to see a doctor. In severe cases, see one sooner.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:03 pm

I know quite a few other people who had bronchitis, and none of them had to stay in the hospital. I hope you start feeling better soon either way. I know it's no fun waiting around for healthcare. :( Hugs.