Were you able to get very strong before grade 12?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 7:50 pm

Assuming you guys trained in middle/high school.

Anyways, myself, I can't get very strong, though i been worrking out pretty regurly since March.

I'd always been less muscular and/or energetic than the other guys my age, i mean, not by much, but like 10th grade was the game changer; i read in a"for dummies" book that generally kids should not train like adults till age 15, though i was not as able to recover, grow,etc. like my own age guys, who were practically grown, now that i reminisce.don't get me wrong, though,im not worrying about manhoid or whatever in this case, im just wondering if it was difficult for the rest of you guys until the end of high school.

to illustrate, some of the guys from my football team,all age 15:
Devin Cameron:
365squat
225bench
240clean
Ben Howie
Lucas Callahan
Lawrence Cook
Derek Young

these are all 1RM's
and that last guy is barely on our "strongest guys" chart.

myself, maybe 5 months ago (I'm kind of young for my grade,so it counts)
And I trained a couple hours a day and ate LOTS of healthy stuff, stopped m-bating 4 teh most part.drank good amounts of water.

I mean now I rep bench:95 for 5(just today), 140 squat for 8-10, and clean 90 for10, slightly better....but i'm 3 months past 16, and the juniors are a lot stronger than most of the sophomores. we only have 5 sophomores in our top 25.

haha i;ve gotten off-topic

Last edited by muslimmetalhead on 29 Nov 2012, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:01 pm

It's probably your diet. Consume at least 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight and increase your calorie intake. Apart from that, base your workout schedule on routines and increase the weight steadily each workout, if possible.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:06 pm

you arent supposed to be strong quickly//stop being impatient. I started lifting in 2004 and could only bench 45x1(with a spot) now i do 315. it takes time. my squat is still not all that good and i started squatting in 2008(although i havent been very consistent and only got back into it this yr). Just take your time. I also still havent dled 500 and i started dling in 2010(although tht is mostly due to injuring myself.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:12 pm

i also doubt those numbers you posted...hell im not as strong as some of those 15 yr olds lmao..a lot of lifting comes down to genetics. the most important thing is being stronger than you were yesterday..i dont give a f**k how strong ben howie is i only care that wtfid2 is stronger today than yesterday ;)/

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:15 pm

also if you compare yourself to the strongest guys you are bound to fail. strongest guys are the elite they are not the baseline. the strongest guys can do everything wrong and still be monsters. I still doubt that those guys are squatting to parallel, keeping their ass on the bench(and the spotter isnt touching the bar) and also i doubt their clean numbers.

i used to be friends with football players. Just to see their reaction i tried to bench 275 when my max was 235 and they told me it was all me rofl

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:17 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
i also doubt those numbers you posted...hell im not as strong as some of those 15 yr olds lmao..a lot of lifting comes down to genetics. the most important thing is being stronger than you were yesterday..i dont give a f**k how strong ben howie is i only care that wtfid2 is stronger today than yesterday ;)/

It's on salemrocksfootball.com under "weight room". That's where I got the exact #'s from.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 8:46 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

It's on salemrocksfootball.com under "weight room". That's where I got the exact #'s from.
still doesnt mean the lifts were legit.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm

They could be done with bad form as well, which is somewhat common for people doing 1RM lifts.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:41 pm

I didn't even try. I was under the impression sports/athletics were for "jocks" and didn't really do anything athletic in high school except occasionally hike. I left high school at 16 and for a year I did a lot of cycling, but then I moved to a hillier place and just basically sat on my ass until I was 21. Then I started skating and lifting about 6 months after? I could squat to parallel or a tad higher quite a bit of weight with zero training. Probably ice skating helped that (it really strengthened my back and corrected my posture and gave me a lot more balance) and to a small extent the amount of cycling/hiking I did. I also just have good leg genetics, just always had a huge legs and butt so I could squat a ton. However, on the flip side, I could barely pop out 10 pushups, and could only bench like 95lbs my first try.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm

Pondering wrote:
They could be done with bad form as well, which is somewhat common for people doing 1RM lifts.
yah man im sure it was like this
bench-guy who can only bench 185 loads 255 on the rack lifts his ass misses his chest and has a spotter doing an upright row lol.
squat- guy who can do around 225 loads up 315 on the rack and squats half way down..coaches and teammates cheer him on lol.
clean- there really is no way to cheat on a clean...bad form only makes it harder which is why i would be impressed if those numbers are accurate. my best clean is 225 but i dont train it.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 11:13 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
Pondering wrote:
yah man im sure it was like this
bench-guy who can only bench 185 loads 255 on the rack lifts his ass misses his chest and has a spotter doing an upright row lol.
squat- guy who can do around 225 loads up 315 on the rack and squats half way down..coaches and teammates cheer him on lol.
clean- there really is no way to cheat on a clean...bad form only makes it harder which is why i would be impressed if those numbers are accurate. my best clean is 225 but i dont train it.

I don't totally doubt the numbers. Some kids are just strong. Afterall, look at junior competitions in powerlifting. Kids putting up huge numbers in competition. http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewreco ... 11ac9e88df 16-17 year old powerlifting records. Best at 198 is 350 bench and 550 squat. So that's national level power.

http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewreco ... 361024784d Womens even.

You can only compare squat and bench, but yeah. Also, the football website doesn't tell you the people's weight. For all I know they could all be 300+ lbs or something. And damn, yall got nice Olympic platforms there.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2012, 2:08 am

How much do you weigh? I think your strength relative to weight is more important than your general strength. In high school, I only weighed 119 but had the school's bench record (in my weight class @190lbs) and third place deadlift (in my weight class 315lbs) Sure, dudes who weighed 160+ were pretty easily able to top my bench and deadlifts. If you're really on the lighter end of the scale, like myself, it's definitely prudent that you put on mass by increasing your calories and protein (as previously stated). As your body weight goes up, your lifts will skyrocket. As a side note, I'm really happy I can currently bench more than the listed 15 year olds, haha, I'd be kind of sad if I couldn't. Too bad my 1RM squat is a little less but I definitely get the full ROM.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 7:12 am

windtreeman wrote:
How much do you weigh? I think your strength relative to weight is more important than your general strength. In high school, I only weighed 119 but had the school's bench record (in my weight class @190lbs) and third place deadlift (in my weight class 315lbs) Sure, dudes who weighed 160+ were pretty easily able to top my bench and deadlifts. If you're really on the lighter end of the scale, like myself, it's definitely prudent that you put on mass by increasing your calories and protein (as previously stated). As your body weight goes up, your lifts will skyrocket. As a side note, I'm really happy I can currently bench more than the listed 15 year olds, haha, I'd be kind of sad if I couldn't. Too bad my 1RM squat is a little less but I definitely get the full ROM.

I weighed around 160 but i lost maybe 20 pounds when i was in football training, around 140 now so i squat bodyweight for sets.

btw im pretty sure Lucas weighs around 215(he told us at practice), and our number 1 guy, Brn howies senior brother, is HUGE, and probably is cleaning half his bodyweight (he does 205)

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 11:25 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
windtreeman wrote:

I weighed around 160 but i lost maybe 20 pounds when i was in football training, around 140 now so i squat bodyweight for sets.

btw im pretty sure Lucas weighs around 215(he told us at practice), and our number 1 guy, Brn howies senior brother, is HUGE, and probably is cleaning half his body weight (he does 205)
400 pound 15 yr old/....dAfuq? is this real life? are you sure they are natural? You also said they are finished with puberty and you arent which is another factor. I actually didnt get facial hair until 19 i think and it only just started coming in thick lol. A lot of my gains in the squat/dl could be contributed to puberty. Most adults arent as strong as your 15 y/o classmates. Even adults who lift usually dont bench more than 185-225 tops..and most cant squat over 185 lol. most prob cant dl more than 225-275. If you look at those who dont train most bench under 115 and squat same. Most dl maybe 135-185. Most people are p*****s. Now that i think about it, i did know a kid who was a jr in highschool. he could bench 315 and JERK 315. idk his squat or dl but he was a big kid. On the contrast i was friends with a kid who was 110 pounds lol.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
windtreeman wrote:

btw im pretty sure Lucas weighs around 215(he told us at practice), and our number 1 guy, Brn howies senior brother, is HUGE, and probably is cleaning half his body weight (he does 205)
400 pound 15 yr old/....dAfuq? is this real life? are you sure they are natural? You also said they are finished with puberty and you arent which is another factor. I actually didnt get facial hair until 19 i think and it only just started coming in thick lol. A lot of my gains in the squat/dl could be contributed to puberty. Most adults arent as strong as your 15 y/o classmates. Even adults who lift usually dont bench more than 185-225 tops..and most cant squat over 185 lol. most prob cant dl more than 225-275. If you look at those who dont train most bench under 115 and squat same. Most dl maybe 135-185. Most people are p*****s. Now that i think about it, i did know a kid who was a jr in highschool. he could bench 315 and JERK 315. idk his squat or dl but he was a big kid. On the contrast i was friends with a kid who was 110 pounds lol.

I said his SENIOR brother weighs 400 pounds, so...age 17

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:
muslimmetalhead wrote:
windtreeman wrote:

I said his SENIOR brother weighs 400 pounds, so...age 17
o