Women wearing yoga pants=female equivalent of men wearing

Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

meems
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,093

08 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

Yes, the feminazi outcry in this thread is outrageous and over the top. :P


_________________
http://www.facebook.com/eidetic.onus
http://eidetic-onus.tumblr.com/
Warning, my tumblr is a man-free zone :)


mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,096
Location: Los Angeles

08 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Did I say feminazi?

Did I say anything about feminism at all?

Did I say anything even remotely anti-female?

Is the idea that very often people do present themselves in a manner meant to draw the opposite gender's attention really so controversial?



Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,181
Location: the place I'm from doesn't exist anymore

08 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

Ai meu deus, calma!

Everyone take it easy. I'm pretty sure neither was implying what you thought they were implying.

mds_02 wrote:
Going by responses in this thread, you'd think it never occured to any woman ever to dress in a way that showed off her body. And that every single time a woman puts on a garment that shows off her breasts or butt, it is entirely on accident.

Which is, let's admit it, ridiculous.

We're all aspies here. We tend make decisions without giving much thought to (or understanding) the social impact of those decisions. Including women's (men's too, but the focus of this discussion is women) decisions on what to wear.

But let's not apply our motives (or lack thereof) to the behavior of the population as a whole. There are women out there, very many of them in fact, whose entire wardrobes are selected based on how sexy they think they will look. I'd guess that most women (most men as well but, again, the focus of this discussion is on women) have at least one or two articles of clothing that they like to wear because they believe it makes them more sexually attractive.

Commenting on this phenomenon is not implying that literally everyone participates in it.


I have to give you something - it's true I made decisions without thought or care for the social impact of them - especaiily clothing. Probab;y an aspie thing.

But probably also the attitude similar of a girl who really doesn't care what people think and isn't after anyones approval or validation - which was the point meems was making - there are quite a few of them too who aren't necessary aspie.


_________________
Diagnostic Tools and Resources for Women with AS: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt211004.html


meems
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,093

08 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

mds_02 wrote:
Did I say feminazi?

Did I say anything about feminism at all?

Did I say anything even remotely anti-female?

Is the idea that very often people do present themselves in a manner meant to draw the opposite gender's attention really so controversial?


Did I try to make it apparent I was joking with this emoticon :P ?

Did I get a kind of aggressive and weird response from you?

Did my joke imply anything about anyone being anti-female or do you just have some issues I'm not equipped to help you work out?

Do I have any inclination to continue some sort of conversation about this beyond this post?

Did I just learn a valuable lesson about you not having an easy time identifying attempts at humor?


Answer key for my questions: yes, yes, no and then probably yes, no, yes


Communication difficulties with aspies all posting back and forth, it happens.


_________________
http://www.facebook.com/eidetic.onus
http://eidetic-onus.tumblr.com/
Warning, my tumblr is a man-free zone :)


Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,181
Location: the place I'm from doesn't exist anymore

08 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm

It's not your fault meems - mds_02 usually takes heat from feminazis on a fairly regular basis so he's a bit sensitive over it.

And mds_02 - meems def isn't one of them! *hugs*


_________________
Diagnostic Tools and Resources for Women with AS: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt211004.html


mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,096
Location: Los Angeles

08 Jan 2013, 9:02 pm

All fair enough. Except for two things.

meems wrote:
Did I get a kind of aggressive and weird response from you?


go ahead and think of my response as weird if you like. What counts as weird is extremely subjective, so I won't try to tell you you're wrong about that. But what, exactly, was aggresive about it?

Quote:
Did my joke imply anything about anyone being anti-female


Yes, that's exactly what it implies. I can't see any point in making it if that wasn't what you were trying to imply.



mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,096
Location: Los Angeles

08 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

Kjas wrote:
It's not your fault meems - mds_02 usually takes heat from feminazis on a fairly regular basis so he's a bit sensitive over it.

And mds_02 - meems def isn't one of them! *hugs*


Sorry Kjas, you keep trying so hard to be the voice of reason and no one (including me) will just shut up and listen to you.



meems
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,093

08 Jan 2013, 9:15 pm

I just put an eye patch on and I have to be socially irresponsible tomorrow, but if you'd like to continue this conversation when I grow the hell up, we could do that.

P.S. I didn't think you were being anti-female at all, and I thought a series of confrontational questions in response to a one line joke was weird and aggressive.


P.P.S. I AM SORRY I offended you. I really have to bow out of this thread, I've been offending people left and right lately and it's becoming a source of isolation to have no idea how to have a conversation anymore so I need to stop until my brain becomes more functional or something. I don't even know.


_________________
http://www.facebook.com/eidetic.onus
http://eidetic-onus.tumblr.com/
Warning, my tumblr is a man-free zone :)


Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,181
Location: the place I'm from doesn't exist anymore

08 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

^^^
:lmao:
You almost made me wet myself with that first line.

mds_02 wrote:
Kjas wrote:
It's not your fault meems - mds_02 usually takes heat from feminazis on a fairly regular basis so he's a bit sensitive over it.

And mds_02 - meems def isn't one of them! *hugs*


Sorry Kjas, you keep trying so hard to be the voice of reason and no one (including me) will just shut up and listen to you.


You two would actually get on brilliantly if you took the time to become a little more familiar with each other.

Both of you are very reasonable and both have fanastic senses of humor.


_________________
Diagnostic Tools and Resources for Women with AS: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt211004.html


mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,096
Location: Los Angeles

09 Jan 2013, 2:19 am

meems wrote:
P.P.S. I AM SORRY I offended you. I really have to bow out of this thread, I've been offending people left and right lately and it's becoming a source of isolation to have no idea how to have a conversation anymore so I need to stop until my brain becomes more functional or something. I don't even know.


Accepted. I'm sorry too. I didn't mean my response to come across as aggressive.



hyperlexian
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,997
Location: with bucephalus

09 Jan 2013, 8:34 am

i can see many sides of the yoga pants choice.

some women wear them because they are comfy or going to a workout etc.

some women wear them because they are sexy.

but also...

some women don't wear them because they are sexy. i can easily see how they sexy, but maybe too sexy for my butt so i don't wear them. i leave that for other women - who either don't care (or who like the attention).

i have no idea how many women don't care and how many choose to wear it for the attention, and really it doesn't matter either way. for the women that care, they look great and feel great and have some great attention on their backside. good for them!

(back in Canada, it was extremely common for women to wear those pants *everywhere*, even to some workplaces, school, errands. but here in the UK i have yet to see many women wearing them. it seems a bit cultural).


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt237032.html


musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 965
Location: Kansas City, Missouri

01 Feb 2013, 1:55 pm

Every so often I wear yoga pants. Sometimes i wear them because i actually, you know, DO yoga (unlike a lot of people who wear them), other times i work out in them because they are comfortable and have good stretch to them. It's not to impress anyone necessarily. And although I am fine with what my bf thinks about how he perceives me wearing them (he is more butt>>boobs when it comes to his preferences), other males can keep their thoughts to themselves, especially if they have no class. Some guys are so entitllist when it comes to these things too. So dumbass who honks at me while jogging, catcalls and hollers "white girl got a phat ass" out the passenger window, and guys who have wasted their time oogling and staring at my butt at the gym and store before my bf walks over, DREAM ON. I am not put here for your amusement. I am not a piece of meat. I am not a prize for your gym motivation. Stfu. I am a woman, not an object to be objectified. Some girls think they are okay with being objectified because they never knew how to respect themselves with dignity from day one from how they were brought up. It doesn't make it right or okay for the rest of us though.

And I feel that way about other types of clothing that flatters my body. Regardless of what someone thinks, I wasn't put here to be objectified and will accept none of that sentiment of "oh durrr, well, women invite it on themselves". I think it is a lousy excuse for unchecked entitlist egotistical male behavior.



LKL
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,938

01 Feb 2013, 6:12 pm

My mid-50's mother wears yoga pants because she has IBS and her belly sometimes swells to twice its normal size when she has an attack, and yoga pants stretch to accommodate without cutting in to her waist and causing her even more pain.



Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,967
Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

09 Feb 2013, 12:29 am

meems wrote:
I just put an eye patch on and I have to be socially irresponsible tomorrow, but if you'd like to continue this conversation when I grow the hell up, we could do that.

P.S. I didn't think you were being anti-female at all, and I thought a series of confrontational questions in response to a one line joke was weird and aggressive.


P.P.S. I AM SORRY I offended you. I really have to bow out of this thread, I've been offending people left and right lately and it's becoming a source of isolation to have no idea how to have a conversation anymore so I need to stop until my brain becomes more functional or something. I don't even know.


Honestly, I didn't think you did anything wrong here. :) Some of us aspie males are just sexist because of bad experiences. I don't see how you said anything offensive or unreasonable in this thread.



metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Mar 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,405

10 Feb 2013, 2:51 am

LKL wrote:
My mid-50's mother wears yoga pants because she has IBS and her belly sometimes swells to twice its normal size when she has an attack, and yoga pants stretch to accommodate without cutting in to her waist and causing her even more pain.

IBD, here. Close enough. When I wear yoga pants, it is because I am in pain! They put almost no pressure on my stomach so they do nothing to aggravate it. Honestly, I could care less about how my butt looks in them. When I feel that way, stare or be offended if u want, I will be gritting my teeth and not even registering your existence.


_________________
"Be kind to one another" -Ellen Degeneres