Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JoinTheChase
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

hi

I have Asperger's and also severe emetophobia - a fear of vomitting. I'm terrified when anyone in my house gets sick, or going out somewhere there might be sick people (doctors or where people might be drunk etc) and it's ruining my life.

I wondered if anyone had had treatment for phobias that worked? I'm skeptical of hypnotherapy because I don't really think anyone could get me that relaxed especially if I didn't know them. But I'm desperate for anything that could help.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

Hey, welcome to the club :) Fellow Aspie with severe and occasionally crippling emetophobia as well! It's terrible, isn't it? I'm actually at code level red right now as my younger sister complained of feeling ill :O. Anyway, I sought therapy for the phobia back in 2009 for about a year through the college I was attending; it offered very little help and I think that's mostly due to the therapist(s) inadequacies in dealing with phobias (he said it was relatively uncommon). One of the things that really helps me cope with the anxiety is my 'preventative measures' I.E. keeping Pepto Bismol and Dramamine nearby and my newest addition, those Sea-Band anti-nausea wrist bands (shockingly helpful(!) in the last month, even if it's simply a placebo effect). I'm going to see a new therapist for this and Asperger's in the very near future so I hope I'll be able to update you. Best of luck with your phobia and I'll be warding the germs away from both of us ;).