Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 6:07 pm

hey there.

i thought we should have a thread to accumulate links to sports clips (i dont know whether a separate thread for great video game skills should be made or if they should go in here as well) that show fascinating feats, great skills, interesting moves and stunts and the like...
expressively open to all kinds of sport. a great boxing video belongs here as well as a highlight collection of football/soccer ball tricks or ronnie o'sullivans rocket snooker play.

if the sport is a bit niche, so that not every casual viewer might get what makes the shown performance so special, a short hint on what to look for would be highly appreciated (helps widening ones horizon, too)

ill start with two martial arts clips:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X-mnpo4RYZs - highlights of glaube feitosa (k-1 mixed martial arts)
the really great thing to look for is the wa feitosa turns his leg when kicking, so that his shin snaps diagonally downward, over the opponents defense. feitosa in general is probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing technicians in k-1. quite acrobatic... (he is a practicioner of kyokuchin karate, by the way. in brazil, this kind of kick seems to be trained quite a lot, hence it is nicknamed the "brazilian kick")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exomcGbnQUY - highlights of buakaw por. pramuk (k-1 mixed martial arts mostly)
another really great kicking artist, although in a completely different technical vein. while feitosa derives the force of his kicks by snapping his shin, buakaw (a practicioner of muay thai) whips his whole leg from the hips, to drive his shin through the opponent. the effect of these thai roundhouse kicks is often likened to being hit by a baseball bat.
worth mentioning is the apparent ease he has with just snapping his whole leg upwards, two, three times in succession. also, a lot of typical muay thai infight solutions are depicted: clinching the opponent and striking him with the knee. worth mentioning, too, is how loose his defense appears. perfect judgement of range is his defense.
if you thought the full-contact karateka from brazil was violent, witness the thunderstorm of buakaw!

Racer_J
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2007, 6:31 am

Let me find Baron Davis' slam on Kirilenko last night...

Here ya go...

(You have to understand Kirilenko's shot blocking abilities to understand the monstrous nature of this dunk)

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2007, 9:39 am

that one is through the hoop, i guess.

i find it interesting that the way of blocking with ones own body seems to be similar to muay thai clinching. just without holding onto people and kneeing.