How do you get your exercise or routine exercise, if any?

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cakey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2013, 12:37 am

Well, currently I do exercise videos throughout the day that are high intensity and full of jumps and jumping jacks for about an hour daily if totaled up. I'm not into muscles, just being active since it's winter and I like jumping. How about you?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

Well you can read the workout log if you want.

My main athletic activity is ice skating, I'm trying to be a figure skater actually. I get an hour most weekdays.

I go to the gym, my gym membership individually is $30 per month, $60 for my whole family. Gym has weights, cardio machines (which I find boring as all hell and never use,) a pool, and free public ice time at the rink next door. Downright perfect deal.

At the gym I usually lift weights, usually squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and (poorly executed) Olympic lifts. Pretty rare for me to do bodybuilding type stuff like curls and whatnot. Don't really care how specific muscles look, but being strong is really fun to me and makes me happy, and it helps my skating. Generally weights I try to stick to 5 sets, 5 reps, at usually about 70% of max for most lifts. I used to concentrate on heavy singles but those are really nervous system taxing, so I only do those maybe once every other week at the moment.

Lately I've taken up swimming, too, for some extra cardio to drop some fat.

Besides that, when weather's good, I go for relatively gentle nature walks/hikes, though not as much as I should.

Last edited by 1000Knives on 16 Jan 2013, 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 12:50 am

I ride my bike to work. It's 7.5 miles each way, so 15 miles total. Lately I've been a whiner and haven't been riding because it's been roughly 5F, but the rest of the week is supposed to be beautiful so no excuses :D

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2013, 1:44 am

Nice, 1000knives! Figure skating is fantastic. My ex-girlfriend was seriously into it for a few years. My exercising, which is usually an hour a day, five or six days a week, is purely bodybuilding. Every muscle group for 3-4 sets and 8-12 reps. Squats, curls, rows, pushdowns, pulldowns, bench, flys, dips, leg extensions/curls...you name it, and it's in my routine. I've only been at this for a year and a few months through - it's very easy for me to feel motivated and get my workout in though as it's morphed into one of my obsessions, thankfully. No cardio though, I'm one of those hard-gainers so every calorie I consume is precious to me, haha. Anyways, congrats to all of us for keeping in shape!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 3:31 am

after my summertime bike accident, i am only now recovering sufficient to go walking again.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 7:01 am

mostly just lifting weights @3x10~, with the occasional jog.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

I've been so stressed out I've switched to yoga and walking in the last few days and while I still feel some burn afterward, it's not a hard work out or anything.

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

I run at least once every three days (more often it's every other day) and occasionally lift weights.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

before I purchased a car I biked to work every day. with a car now, my motivation to continue bicycling is low. especially road biking, which I find to be boring. I may consider trading my road bike in for a mountain one with suspension, see if that grabs me.

this year I started skiing again. i stopped skiing for what I believe was something on the order of 10 years. my therapist suggested I pick something to keep myself active, and since I find it impossible to exercise if the activity isn't engaging to me, I chose to start skiing again. It was very difficult at first. I had much fear and anxiety tied into the activity. Learning to ski with my older siblings who were impatient and unsympathetic to me in regards to the learning curve. Always pressuring me to go down runs well beyond the difficulty level I was comfortable with. On the very first day I learned to ski, eight years old I think, my older brother was already goading me into doing intermediate level runs. I hated it. I hated him for it. There were a couple occasions where shouting and crying were involved in arguments about run selection.

But I liked skiing itself, just not with siblings. So this fall I slowly started out, bought new and better fitting equipment, watched some instruction videos, and set out to face those old fears, find the fun in it again. And I am happy to say that I have. I have enjoyed my trips to the local ski hill this year far more than I ever enjoyed skiing before. I hope to go at least three times a month for the rest of the season this year. :idea:

Fawlty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2013, 2:02 am

I go to the gym (lifting weights and running).

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm

I go to a 24 hr. gym around 11-12 at night about three times a week. I do heavy weightlifting and some running on the treadmill for cardio afterwards. Gyms that are always open are perfect for people with AS to go to late at night when hardly anybody is around, but I haven't seen many people on Wrong Planet who say that they're members at 24 hr. gyms strangely enough. :?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

Venger wrote:
I go to a 24 hr. gym around 11-12 at night about three times a week. I do heavy weightlifting and some running on the treadmill for cardio afterwards. Gyms that are always open are perfect for people with AS to go to late at night when hardly anybody is around, but I haven't seen many people on Wrong Planet who say that they're members at 24 hr. gyms strangely enough. :?

Just not many in the area I live in. My gym is closest to me and it includes my ice time in the price. It's only open until 10, and generally I go in from 8something to 10. As far as social anxiety, most people just leave me alone or are amazed I can deadlift 3 plates per side or something, so meh. Relatiely safe place for me socially. Something like Crossfit or something would be a nightmare on many levels for me, though.

The eventual plan is to get a set of dumbells, bumper plates and a squat rack in the house and I'd be pretty set. It'd save cash as driving to the gym costs approximately a dollar each time.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 12:24 am

well I do alot. running,swimming,weighlifting, martial arts (jui jutsu), my own ''pdx90''. and I ride bike.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:34 pm

Walking exercise DVD or dance DVD for exercise and then do push ups and sometimes sit ups or the plank. I want to get into jogging again and need to go to the gym and jog on the treadmill. I do Girlish push ups usually and work up to regular ones.

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

I used to do a lot of exercises. But if anything interrupts my daily routine, I start slacking off. I've currently gotten to the point where I just do more than 50 push ups a day. It's the only daily routine I seem tot be able to keep because it only takes a minute.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

I just have to go to rugby practice and I'm usually set. :tired: