How do you get your exercise or routine exercise, if any?

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 3:18 pm

I was a gym rat for years and totally loved it. Exercise has always been an A-1 mood stabilizer for me. Age-related injuries put an end to the gym for so long that now I am out of the habit, though thinking about getting back there one day.

Until then, I recently started walking to/from work. It is 1.25 miles each way, so that's about 12 miles each week. For heart-reasons I take it quite easy on these walks; they are more strolls really. One interesting thing I have noticed is that, while walking along city streets and taking in all the sights can be engaging, doing so seems to result in my getting to the office feeling mentally taxed. I find I am more ready for work if, while walking, I focus on the sidewalk as opposed to all the craziness along the city streets. Doing that turns the walk into a more meditative experience, I guess, and opposed to a sensory-rich one.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

Day A
Squat - 5x5
Incline Flies - 5x5
Flat Flies - 5x5
Standing Military Press - 5x5
Snatch - 4x30 seconds
Upright Row - 5x8
Back Row - 5x8
Standing Bicep Curl - 5x5
Concentration Curl - 5x8
Incline Curl - 5x5
Preacher Curl - 5x6
Hammer Curl - 5x8
Dumbell Raises - 5x8
Dumbell Flies - 5x8
Push up Superset - 5x20

Day B
Flat Bench Press - 5x5
Squat - 5x8
Upright Row - 5x8
Bent Over Barbell Row - 5x8
Tricep Kickback - 5x8
Tricep Extensions - 5x8
Pull Over - 5x8
Incline Curl - 5x5
Preacher Curl - 5x6
Standing Curls - 5x5
Dumbell Raises - 5x8
Dumbell Alt Raises Superset - 5x8
Pull ups - 5x8
Dips - 5x8
Push up Superset

Followed by 350 repetitions of various ab exercises like oblique sit ups and twist sit ups. It should take over 2 hours if you have a 20 second rest in between each set.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 1:21 pm

I have started to become a gym rat now that I've learned it's about quantity not intensity of a workout. I've since lost a ton of weight, am the strongest I have ever been in my life and feel fantastic. Oh, and I still have an awful diet so it's not bad food that makes you gain weight by itself.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2013, 10:35 pm

I run 50-60 miles a week minimum. It's what keeps me sane.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

Just taking my Staffy for a decent walk daily at the moment, though I was a regular hillwalker previously. I hope to get out with a friend soon for some proper hiking. When I've lost a bit more weight I'm considering giving the 'C25K' programme a crack.

C25K (link)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

Walk and carry my daughter.

Draco1987
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 May 2013, 7:16 am

personally i get nearly 100% of my exercise form my job janitor at a airport with a 9 floor monolithic garage i usually work nights and pump plenty of caffeine into my system to help stay awake and end of doing roughly 5 1/2 hours total exercise walking sweeping bending over to look under cars hauling the occasional heavy object to the dumpster on the 2nd floor its not as easy as you would think being essentially 240lbs. in a 5' 9 3/4" frame

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 11:13 pm

I go for walks, though it is hard in winter. The snow is finally melting, though!

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 7:01 pm

I use a bicycle as my primary mode of transportation year-round. I have a car and have no difficulty driving, though I just use that for longer trips and times when taking the bike is not practical, such as hauling items or when there is heavy rain
-Two mile commute to work takes ten minutes by bike and it saves money by not needing to pay for gas and parking decals (not to mention gym membership), and time by not needing to search for a parking space and then walking to the office (I park the bike right next to my desk). It's also faster than taking the bus, even if I didn't have to wait for it.
-One of my bikes has baskets on the back with plenty of room for bags when grocery shopping. Everything else goes in the backpack, and in rare cases, I can hang extra bags from the handlebars. It gives me great satisfaction riding past all the cars sitting in rush hour traffic while burning calories instead of gasoline

Briareos
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

^ I also ride my bike, but don't have a car, so it is my primary mode of transportation...unless I ask to borrow my mom's car. Winter is a different story, it can get brutally cold here (-15 - -25C) so during that time I pretty much have to take the bus. But I have studded tires now so maybe I'll winter bike more. Even if I did have a car, I'd probably bike more than drive simply for the exercise and frugality of it.

The weight stays off when you have to exercise to get around.

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 6:05 pm

i try to walk a half hour per day.

Xdarksider95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2015, 10:58 pm

I just do DDP Yoga.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 8:57 am

DDP Yoga is actually a thing outside of wrestling? :o

roteiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm

I've started running and I stick to the nutrition plan I found on http://dblogged.com blog. I've lost some fat so far, and I hope I will manage to continue losing it :)

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 2:47 pm

My work requires a large expenditure of effort.

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2015, 4:01 pm

I jogg allot during the week and also take long bike trips that always clears my mind good while I train I always like listening to audio lectures. After doing a good exercise it makes things so much clearer after.