Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 8:28 am

said it was safety concern for me.

what now?
bodyweight/10lb dbs trainng plateaus after 3 days.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 8:46 am

WTF did you do, dude? This your father or the gym itself?

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 9:58 am

1000Knives wrote:
WTF did you do, dude? This your father or the gym itself?

Gym itself; like a couple squats/deads/anything free weights that look "scary";they kept reminding me, but..no friends=no spotter=i cant "spot myself" now can I?
I mean unless its squats where you have like a power rack

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 10:23 am

Find another gym or buy some plates on Craigslist?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:46 pm

I assume they gave you several warnings before kicking you out? I can understand why they would though, doing heavy lifts with no spotter can be dangerous and they don't want to have any liability if you injure yourself or others near you. The gym staff could probably act as a spotter for you if you ask, although you may have to pay extra for them to do so...I've seen them doing it fairly frequently at the gym I used to go to.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:54 pm

Is it really that bad to just use weight machines?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:13 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Is it really that bad to just use weight machines?

Yeah.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:15 pm

Are you going to curves to get your workout? I've never seen or heard of this before. I've heard of people getting kicked out for grunting though, so I guess it is not so far fetched. Sounds like you may be going to a sissy gym. Nobody has ever bothered me lifting "scary weight" and I assume scary looking weight for me wouldn't be that much to some people in the first place, considering how short I am.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Pondering wrote:
Are you going to curves to get your workout? I've never seen or heard of this before. I've heard of people getting kicked out for grunting though, so I guess it's not so far fetched.

Planet Fitness.

But it might also be because he probably doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, ie, bad form (rounded back when squatting or deadlifting,) couple too many max bench attempts with no spotter and getting pinned, etc. Also, I think he's like under 150lbs, so he probably doesn't look big either.

In the future, try to talk to people at the gym. Doesn't mean you gotta be friends with them or hang out with them outside the gym, but if you need a spot, and you see someone that was benching a couple minutes ago, just ask "hey can you spot me for this attempt?" I'd say for bench, you want spotters for anything over like 80% of max. Sometimes people at the gym CAN help your form out, too. Obviously only listen to them if they're where you're want to be. IE, if they can lift more than you, can jump higher, etc, then they might be worth considering. If they can't do anything you wish to do, take their opinions less seriously. Like for example, I saw someone a little younger than me and at a lower bodyweight cleaning the same as what I can clean. I asked him to critique my front squat and asked if I was rounding out too much. He said yes, and told me the reason why is because my chest wasn't up high enough. So, I knew the problem now and how to solve it. One thing with Aspergers is, you have generally poor spatial awareness. So you can read how to do something, but it's hard knowing where your limbs are and what your muscles are doing, so having someone else observe you helps.

Anyway, I've said this before, since you're lighter framed, you seriously might be better off in gymnastics compared to someone with naturally ginormous legs like myself. Maybe take gymnastics?

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:13 pm

Ah planet fitness. I've heard some thing about them in the lifting community. Such as...
The last two are very understandable, but grunting, cmon. Sometimes you have to grunt a bit if you want to make gains.

But yeah, I had hoped OP figured out his form, workout schedule, and checked his ego at the door by now. I didn't want to make assumptions that he's doing things the wrong way.

I'll always support body weight fitness. Gymnastics is great for that. But so are the typical body weight exercises that most people do. You can do them almost anywhere, and you can use weights with them if you need a boost.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 3:23 pm

I hate bodyweight stuff as I weigh in the 180s at 5'9. It takes a lot more effort to do cool stuff from bodyweight compared to if you're 130lbs. I wonder how most 130lb people would do doing pushups with 45lb plates on their backs, for example. Still it's something I admire, especially if the people doing it are like, adults. It's a different kind of strength, I don't feel the debates arguing bodyweight vs weights are very fruitful, though. Like Mark Rippetoe said "handstand pushups are a parlor trick." But he also advocates overhead pressing your bodyweight as being an essential life function. They're both parlor tricks in modern times.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2013, 11:06 am

They're probably worried about losing their insurance if anyone sees members doing free weights without a spotter. I have to admit that I used to do free weights alone at home, and I think I held myself back due to common sense. So I wasn't working it to the limit, and that's just as bad as getting kicked out of the gym, I guess.

I don't like to work out with anyone else, and I don't want a spotter either. I'd recommend finding a gym with smith machines, and with rules that you are good with. I've never done deadlifts on a smith, but I don't see why not, as long as the angle is OK. And if you use a squat machine, you're getting the same or better workout than with free weight squats, and less back injury risk. I have a smith machine, and I can fail on the last rep with no danger at all; just twist the bar and lock it back in. Even if I passed out or something, there are safety stops to keep the bar barely touching my chest, and preventing a likely fatal injury (as could happen if a freeweight bar landed on the upper chest and rolled onto the neck).

Charles

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 11:15 am

Planet Fitness is infamous for silly rules even here in Norway, where they don't exist. I've heard rumours that deadlifts or any other exercise that makes a noise are banned there--and the same goes for grunts and loud swearing.

Allthough most other gyms are more expensive, they're worth the extra price. As far as spotting goes, there's an unwritten rule in most gyms that says that if someone asks you to spot on the last set, you do so if you have the opportunity.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:22 pm

kx250rider wrote:
They're probably worried about losing their insurance if anyone sees members doing free weights without a spotter. I have to admit that I used to do free weights alone at home, and I think I held myself back due to common sense. So I wasn't working it to the limit, and that's just as bad as getting kicked out of the gym, I guess.

I don't like to work out with anyone else, and I don't want a spotter either. I'd recommend finding a gym with smith machines, and with rules that you are good with. I've never done deadlifts on a smith, but I don't see why not, as long as the angle is OK. And if you use a squat machine, you're getting the same or better workout than with free weight squats, and less back injury risk. I have a smith machine, and I can fail on the last rep with no danger at all; just twist the bar and lock it back in. Even if I passed out or something, there are safety stops to keep the bar barely touching my chest, and preventing a likely fatal injury (as could happen if a freeweight bar landed on the upper chest and rolled onto the neck).

Charles

One thing for me for squats is, I like doing squats free weighted as it builds balance, especially going ATG Olympic lifter style, very good balance exercise. You might be able to throw more weight on a machine and maybe even get more muscle stimulation, but I don't believe it'd be as helpful for sports performance. Also when I tried one of those squat machines they hurt my knees very bad, and freeweights feel fine.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 2:53 pm

They don't have to be an actual friend to spot you. Ask a stranger and trade off.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 1:26 am

Pondering wrote:
Ah planet fitness. I've heard some thing about them in the lifting community. Such as...
The last two are very understandable, but grunting, cmon. Sometimes you have to grunt a bit if you want to make gains.

Very heavy dumbbells are difficult not to drop without risking injury especially when doing exercises like dumbbell bench-press, etc.

I've never seen or heard of anything like that creepy alarm/sign though. It looks like a great way to make enemies out of somebody at the gym.