Do I have a problem with my esophagus?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 11:46 am

I tried looking this up on Google but I couldn't find a lot, and there are too many long words, making it complicated to read and understand the actual point.

I've had different small issues with my esophagus ever since I was about 3 or 4.

I eat fairly slowly, trying not to swallow down too much air, and I hardly ever eat spicy foods, but if I have eaten a big dinner, or if I've mixed too much food, I get this bloated, belchy feeling in my stomach, and the air kind of sits in my esophagus and is hard to actually come out properly. I have to either do small exercises like stretching, or gently punching my chest to actually be able to burp, or I may burp when I least expect it, like if I move quickly or put myself at an angle or something. This can be somewhat embarrassing. Sometimes it just gurgles and goes back down, other times it all comes out at once, making me do a really long burp, which I can't help. Drinking carbonated drinks helps me to hiccup, which throws up a few big burps.

Sometimes when I yawn, especially in the morning, I get this strange gurgling sound in my throat and I remember having this when I was a child too. It is such a strange, loud sound that attracts attention as though people think I'm burping loudly. I don't know if it is a burp, since it don't taste of anything afterwards. Usually when I burp it leaves an aftertaste, so I don't know what this sound is when I yawn and why I make this sound.

I haven't vomited in over 12 years (I have a very strong immune system), but when I last threw up I remember I made these weird burping sounds, and the vomit took forever to come up, making me gag and belch for ages. When I've heard other people be sick, they seem to cough for a few seconds then it comes out, but I never coughed before being sick, just made all these horrible gagging noises. This is why I am so afraid to vomit again.

Also I've never had heartburn, and I don't get much other chest pain or indigestion either. I am not on medication and I don't ever drink alcohol, nor tea or coffee.

And lastly I never snore because I have slept in the same room as people before and all of them have said there's not even a soft breathing sound heard from me when I'm asleep. I also find this strange because I usually have blocked sinuses. So I was wandering if not ever snoring was to do with my esophagus too.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it dangerous? Or is it just the way I am?

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 1:13 pm

I have been making 'stomach sounds' my whole life. Kind of 'burps' but not really, since it's done in the stomach, it sounds more as 'horror movie scary sounds'. I don't realize them anymore, but people around always ask about them.

Usual problems with digestive system in general too. It never happened anything more serious than waking up in the night with my stomach (or whatever in the nearby) burning, having some drink and waiting for a while until I could sleep again.

This has been like that since I was a kid. It got worse through years, but never too much. Now I just try to be careful with the diet and avoid foods that are more 'irritant', that's all.

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2013, 7:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I tried looking this up on Google but I couldn't find a lot, and there are too many long words, making it complicated to read and understand the actual point.

I've had different small issues with my esophagus ever since I was about 3 or 4.

I eat fairly slowly, trying not to swallow down too much air, and I hardly ever eat spicy foods, but if I have eaten a big dinner, or if I've mixed too much food, I get this bloated, belchy feeling in my stomach, and the air kind of sits in my esophagus and is hard to actually come out properly. I have to either do small exercises like stretching, or gently punching my chest to actually be able to burp, or I may burp when I least expect it, like if I move quickly or put myself at an angle or something. This can be somewhat embarrassing. Sometimes it just gurgles and goes back down, other times it all comes out at once, making me do a really long burp, which I can't help. Drinking carbonated drinks helps me to hiccup, which throws up a few big burps.

Sometimes when I yawn, especially in the morning, I get this strange gurgling sound in my throat and I remember having this when I was a child too. It is such a strange, loud sound that attracts attention as though people think I'm burping loudly. I don't know if it is a burp, since it don't taste of anything afterwards. Usually when I burp it leaves an aftertaste, so I don't know what this sound is when I yawn and why I make this sound.

I haven't vomited in over 12 years (I have a very strong immune system), but when I last threw up I remember I made these weird burping sounds, and the vomit took forever to come up, making me gag and belch for ages. When I've heard other people be sick, they seem to cough for a few seconds then it comes out, but I never coughed before being sick, just made all these horrible gagging noises. This is why I am so afraid to vomit again.

Also I've never had heartburn, and I don't get much other chest pain or indigestion either. I am not on medication and I don't ever drink alcohol, nor tea or coffee.

And lastly I never snore because I have slept in the same room as people before and all of them have said there's not even a soft breathing sound heard from me when I'm asleep. I also find this strange because I usually have blocked sinuses. So I was wandering if not ever snoring was to do with my esophagus too.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it dangerous? Or is it just the way I am?

There's nothing wrong with you. I frequently get bloated and belchy after eating certain foods even if they aren't that strong or spicy. It's hard for me to burp to if I'm not sitting straight up, and not vomiting in 12 years means you haven't had the need to emergency expel you're stomach. I can't attest for not having heartburn, but I get it more frequently than most people because I have a weak stomach, and I also never snore it's a really weird feeling at night isn't it.

This is coming from someone whose only medical knowledge comes from his fife fighter/EMT mother. If you star get any burning or generally painful feelings in your throat or stomach then you should probably pay a visit to the doctor.