Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

onedreamaday
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2013, 2:03 am

I have no idea why my relationship with food is just so... off.

I hate eating full meals because it just feels really weird to me, so I mostly stick to just eating junk food (potato chips, cookies) or small portions because it doesn't give that heavy feeling in my stomach.

And it's like this with any full meal. It's to the point I hate having to eat, but my family complains about me not eating that much.

Any idea about what I can do?

shibby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2013, 3:26 pm

Hi, "shabby" here. Funny that today I posted something about food which went under the discussion topic "Age/Gender...In-depth adult topic discussion." You can read it there, but basically, a lot of ASD kids (therefore AS adults too) only like to eat the type foods you listed and it's related to those foods feeding the Opioid addiction that our brains crave. There is a lot written on this subject: Food and Asperger's syndrome.
I think I also crave those foods as a Stimming (self-soothing) behavior. It used to bother me until I learned that acceptance is the key to happiness.

shibby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2013, 3:27 pm

Hi, "shibby" here. Funny that today I posted something about food which went under the discussion topic "Age/Gender...In-depth adult topic discussion." You can read it there, but basically, a lot of ASD kids (therefore AS adults too) only like to eat the type foods you listed and it's related to those foods feeding the Opioid addiction that our brains crave. There is a lot written on this subject: Food and Asperger's syndrome.
I think I also crave those foods as a Stimming (self-soothing) behavior. It used to bother me until I learned that acceptance is the key to happiness.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 5:58 pm

There is nothing wrong with eating small portions, as long as you do it multiple times per day. You might try substituting healthier options for your snacks, like nuts instead of chips or fruit instead of cookies, or drinking meal replacement drinks like Ensure. Your family should mind their own business, but it they don't, tell them that eating big meals makes your stomach hurt and that you are being careful to get enough calories and nutrition from multiple small meals so they don't need to worry about you. :)