Powerlifting/Bodybuilding diet vegetarian/GFCF:3000cal. plan

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 7:06 am

How to make it work? lol also I think Tofu has estrogen-boosting chemicals, so none of that or tempeh either

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 8:06 am

Do you know about the vegan UFC fighter Mac Danzig? Maybe you can get some pointers from his diet.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 6:07 am

Also Jake Shields... He has more of a bodybuilder shape to him.

gator_buck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2014, 1:01 am

You'll need to define vegetarian. Is fish ok? are eggs ok?

If not most of your protein is going to come from a legume (beans) and/or supplements. You will need to take supplements to get a number of nutrients you cant get without meat mainly certain amino acids.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

gator_buck wrote:
You'll need to define vegetarian. Is fish ok? are eggs ok?

If not most of your protein is going to come from a legume (beans) and/or supplements. You will need to take supplements to get a number of nutrients you cant get without meat mainly certain amino acids.

No flesh...and no dairy only because I am Gluten and casein free for my mental health.

gator_buck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

If you are referring to the GFCF diet and it supposed impact on autism, you should be aware that all of the reports on this are from independent sources and have no scientific efficacy. It is your choice for whatever reason to be on a diet. However, I thought best to relay some data. many peer reviewed scientific studied have been done and published to test this diet and no evidence has been found to support it. If it does work for you then great, but beware starting it simply based on advice or a book. One little factoid I always try to pass on about diet and nutrition is this; there is no education or accreditation requirement to be a 'nutritionist', anyone who feel inclined to claim this title may do so. Only a "dietitian" has the education and nation certification to give true dietary information. Even doctors are required to take only the bare minimum of nutrition classes to pass medical school, and this is simply to be able to give basic good advice to the average patient.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 4:34 pm

How do you do it? Well, I'd have to say without wheat it will be hard. Wheat surprisingly actually has a fair amount of protein and people overlook it. So definitely check the placebo effect of going gluten free. I mean legumes have more protein per amount, but wheat has way more protein than, say, white rice. As far as tofu, if you have, say, a 3oz block a day, it's not too bad. However if you have a bunch of scoops of soy protein you might start noticing weird moods and whatnot, at least that's my experience. The way tofu is processed because it's fermented actually removes some of the estrogens. Then if you eat it in the way traditionally Asians eat it, with cabbage, cabbage naturally blocks estrogen.

http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition ... ount=0.500
So you get 7g protein per 100 calories. So you can have 27.5 servings of black beans for your calories. Thus if you ate only black beans, you'd get 199g protein for your 3000 calories. Thankfully you don't need 199g protein, you'd be OK with likely 100-150, as protein recommendations for athletes are .6-.8g per pound, at least from stuff from actual nutritionists and not bros on T-Nation and BB.com. So in your case at 150lbs, you'd need, say, 120g protein, which if you only ate beans would mean you'd need 1800 calories of them. So you could fill the rest of your calories with whatever the hell, rice I guess?

I don't think being vegetarian/vegan is ideal, though, just because it's impractical. It is way the hell easier to have 3oz of fish for like 77 calories and get 15g of protein from it (complete protein, no less.) You'd need to eat 5 cans of beans to hit 120g protein. That's a lot of beans. Meanwhile the same calories for cheap whiting fish, you'd only need 616 calories of fish.

As a caveat, green vegetables actually do contain a lot of protein per calorie (actually the same as meat per calorie,) but again, you have the bulk factor of them being all fiber and it being physically impossible to eat enough broccoli or whatever to get any big amount of protein/calories from it. If you got cash you can use spirulina as a protein powder, gobs of protein and vitamins there.

So I'd definitely if I were you at least eat dairy and fish, and wheat as you're pretty much only limited to a legume only diet. There is quiona but besides having a slightly better amino acid profile, you're actually stuck with just about the same protein per calorie as wheat, and it costs gobs of money compared to any other cereals because it's trendy now. Oats too obviously, high protein, but slightly higher fat content (probably negligible, but if you're gonna eat a lot of them.) Oats are a legume, too, though. I mean, if you got more money and would order online, you can buy pea and rice protein powder, but it's not really cost efficient, nor fun, imo.

Anyway, if you can stomach it, just eat massive amounts of beans and rice, take extra B12, there you go. However, small amounts of meat (moderation, not 1lb a day type craziness) you'd probably be better off. No civilization ever has been pure vegetarian, however through most of history we've generally eaten far less meat than we do now. Even the infamous Chinese in "The China Study" and whatnot ate fish and probably more rarely pork, though the doctor espouses a 80/10/10 macro setup, the actual Chinese macros from the actual study are more like 70/15/15.

As far as macros, at 3000 calories, you can probably set your macros up 70/15/15 CPF, but if you feel off, try more like 60/20/20. I run 60/20/20 and like it better. I still eat meat, but don't eat lots, and get as described, about 100-150g protein daily. So my macros at 3000 calories a day (on a deficit no less) are more like 400-500 carbs, 100-150 protein, and 50-60g fat but some days if I'm eating at a friend's house or whatever it goes to like 80ish. Feel good, good energy, lifts go up, weight going down.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

Take a look at some of the writings of Bill Pearl and Jim Morris. Both have been vegetarians for most of their lives. Albert Beckles is also a vegetarian (allthough he doesn't publish articles or write book) and got the 2. place in Mr. Olympia at the age of 55.