Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GreenTechnoFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2014, 2:24 am

I am so scared of losing my vision that I have not been outside in weeks. My mother says I have an appointment coming up, but it always gets delayed. Two days ago I was in the car and I accidentally was facing towards the sun,(I had on my polarized sunglasses, but I do not think they will be of much help. Please, I am asking anyone with a medical understanding of the dangers of the son. I cannot even sleep because I am worried. :cry:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jan 2014, 6:09 am

I wonder if you might have a hyper-sensitivity to light, as I do? The sun is agonizing to me but there's nothing wrong with my eyes. Nonetheless, I wear wrap-around black glasses and a cap covering my eyes. I always knew there was something terribly wrong about the sun and me but it was only later in life that I discovered I am photosensitive. It was a great relief and then I was able to take remedial measures.

I'm still afraid of the sun but that's the accumulation of a lifetime of not knowing what's wrong. If I had known when I was young I wouldn't have this residual fear.

GreenTechnoFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2014, 7:35 am

Claradoon wrote:
I wonder if you might have a hyper-sensitivity to light, as I do? The sun is agonizing to me but there's nothing wrong with my eyes. Nonetheless, I wear wrap-around black glasses and a cap covering my eyes. I always knew there was something terribly wrong about the sun and me but it was only later in life that I discovered I am photosensitive. It was a great relief and then I was able to take remedial measures.

I'm still afraid of the sun but that's the accumulation of a lifetime of not knowing what's wrong. If I had known when I was young I wouldn't have this residual fear.

Perhaps I do, I have been known to get migraines from going outside for too long. Sadly I have only clip on ones as I was born with Myopia, and I wear normal seeing glasses.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:37 am

I have the same fear as you. I went to my eye doctor last year and he said because I have blue eyes it makes me more sensitive to light and prone to glaucoma. He said that I have to be adamant with wearing sunglasses and taking vitamins for eye health. He said if I do that I should be fine. So I recommend you do that too :-)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:11 pm

I'm kind of iffy about the dangers of the sun. Yes, I know it can cause cancer and yes I know staring at it can cause you to go blind. My dad died of complications of skin cancer. I still go to the tanning bed and have never had a problem and other than maybe the first few times ever, I have never worn those goggles. I just close my eyes. I've opened them in there for a second, to adjust around and all, or see if all the bulbs are working. I've never had a problem with it though.

I wouldn't think you would have a problem with just being outside in the sun unless you stare at it. I've never heard of somebody going blind from just being outside normally.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com