Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Ioini
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

I just love running, it's very invigorating and of course it's painful and what not but I just love it! I am training for a half-marathon then I am gonna graduate into a marathon runner. Running long distances is not all physical it's mostly mental and willpower.

What's the most you've ever ran and how did you ever get through it? Most I've ever did was 16k. I thought I was gonna not make it through but I persisted and I prevailed at the end of the run and the people I run with were so proud of me, it was like a camaraderie among us. It's a running club I go to and I have good friendships with most of them.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 4:31 pm

Maybe,I mostly do 5k's.I've finish a marathon,before.

lilaclily
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2014, 6:45 pm

I also love running.

Indeed I'm in "my element" when I'm running - on my own, along the seacoast , in decent weather and plugged in listening to great music, where repetitive thoughts abound, and got that "it's great to be alive feeling". Feel like I'm "on top of the world" and could just run forever (throw away my antidepressants!).

In my younger years (some 20+ years ago) I ran a marathon. I trained with a Marathon Club (building up to 115 km/week over an intensive 15 week programme. Mixture of a mixture of long runs (i.e. 20km +) and shorts runs during the week. Ran my marathon in 3hrs 59 mins. (Slightly disappointed as I'd worked towards running a faster time, yet still satisfied I finished in a respectable time just).

Unfortunately, in those days I was ignorant and did not cross train and ran 100% on the pavement, which took it's toll on my shins (developed shin splints). Stopped running for many years, returning to it periodically, until I suffered further injury.

Wised up, (got older) and figured to run injury free I have to:
- run on various surfaces (i.e. grass/dirt/gravel with limited pavement/road)
- cross train (alternate running days with cycling)
- build distance gradually to allow the body to adapt and build up tolerance
- wear "shin guards".

Now I run for the pure joy of running. Don't know the mileage. But do 3 runs a week (each 1 and 1/2 hrs - 2 hrs long).

I cruise along with intermittent bursts of "running hard and fast". May eventually, work towards doing a half marathon in a decent time, i.e. not in cruise mode. But for now my aim is just to run further (in cruise mode) and remain injury free.

If you set your mind to it (what I call "determinator mode"! !) and train wisely (sleep and nutrition included) you'll complete your marathon. All the best.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 8:24 pm

I like running! I am in the athletics team.
But my thing is not long distance but short distance. Long distance for me is boring as I am too energetic and want speed.
Average running day is 2k before practice...Longest I ran was 8k... But I am not doing it again. In the end I was so impatient and wanting it to be over I just ran fast. Ended up dead :lol:
My father used to run 30k everyday! He went to the students world championship when he was young.

Ioini
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2014, 1:25 am

Thanks for the advice lila! I am planning on it. It doesn't matter if I win the marathon as long as I complete it. Is all that matters in the end.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2014, 2:12 pm

You can count me out when it comes to long distant running.
God, how I hate sports and I'm probably not the only one here since there are not that many people on this forum who respond in threads about health, fitness and sports. It's kind of slow here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 8:43 am

I've done 3 marathons---best time: 3:47:03. 1995 through 1997.

I like the metronymic aspect of running--the rhythmic aspect.

I'm not good enough, when I'm trying to obtain a decent time, to enjoy the scenery.

I used to run on Route 106 near Oyster Bay, NY. I used to love to hear the frogs croak.

I haven't run in a long time; 2 arthroscopic knee surgeries.

I walk now--about 14-15 minutes to the mile. I did 8:48 when I ran my best marathon.

FeralRobot
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm

I mostly run roughly 8-10k distances, but have run 20k with a 500m height gain before (personal best). I can run at about 8 minutes to the mile at shorter distances, but have to slow it down above about 12k. I must admit, though, that I have not been out running for a few weeks.
Running can be tiring and painful, particularly during 'anaerobic threshold' training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_threshold) but it is well worth it, for the exhilaration of the endorphin rush and the satisfaction after running, and for the release of stress, tension and energy.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm

I did cross country (7.1 k) in high school and have kept a cardio-heavy workout schedule since

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 3:07 pm

I used to run. I was a sub-3 hour marathoner. Now I bicycle. Easier on the knees.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 7:58 pm

I've run marathons--my best time, though, is 3:47:03.

I used to really enjoy running, especially on Route 107 between Hicksville and Oyster Bay, New York. I used to love to hear the frogs croaking.

Pitabread123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2014, 3:23 am

I generally running, but sometimes ADHD gets the better of me and I lose interest in the middle of a run. In high school I did long distance events in track for two years but that's pretty much it in terms competition. My dad on the other hand has run a couple of marathons (all over the age of 50 too!) and I sometimes run with him when he's working out.

grister
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2014, 10:56 am

Former runner here. In my twenties I ran marathons. My typical routine was 45-50 miles a week. Did that for about six years, and had to stop. I was doing some real damage to my knees, and my doctor eventually sat me down for a reality check.

Now I hike instead. I've come to enjoy a nice long-ish hike (8-10 miles) on weekends.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2014, 11:45 am

Hi, I started running at an early age, started with 10 kms and half marathons, then did marathons and ultras up to 50 and 56 km in the late 1980's. From 1990-1997 I did the annual Comrades Marathon (varies from 87-89 km) seven times. I restarted running Comrades in 2010 at age 47 and have now completed 10 (2012). Missed last year but am running this year, it's this weekend, on 1 June. As you can imagine it's a real challenge both physically and mentally to run 89 km yet around 12000 runners, mostly from my home country of South Africa but from all over the world, complete this course every year!

Running isn't always easy and I have a "love-hate" relationship with it but I really love it actually and it's in my blood.

It strengthens the mind and helps one to feel better and increase confidence. I went through some really bad patches in my life in the early 2000s and things started to improve when I started long distance running again.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 12:32 pm

Quote:
It strengthens the mind and helps one to feel better and increase confidence. I went through some really bad patches in my life in the early 2000s and things started to improve when I started long distance running again.

envirozentinel do you consider someone in their fifties too old to start back in to running? I used to - did not run as much as you, but enough to notice that now I'm a weakling compared to when I was running.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2014, 12:47 pm

Hi alpineglow, I'm not as fast as I was when I was 30, but it's not too late to start running again. Many of us are natural athletes in a sense, meaning we can function with a little less extreme training and because it's in our genetic makeup. In my case, I'm slightly heavier than I was at 30 but not in any way obese, so although I won't manage anywhere near 3 hours for a marathon any more I still enjoy it.

In our club there's a lady aged 76 who still participates in short distances around 10 km.

One of the running greats and former winner, Wally Hayward, took part in the Comrades ultra marathon at age 80, in 1989.