Pulled a muscle after ten minutes in the gym

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm

There you have it!
After doing some abdominal exercises for a very short amount of time I pulled a muscle in my back. I have some experience with pulled muscles but this time it's really painful. Every breath hurts which really means something since I have a high tolerance to pain. I had to take some painkillers to make life more bearable. I just decided to go to a gym after spending years on the sofa of my living room and now this happens. Why do people think it's so damn healthy to do sports?

Last edited by Atom1966 on 06 Apr 2014, 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2014, 8:32 pm

I am going to remain determined to get some physical exercise though.
Tomorrow, or today I should say, I'm going swimming. Hurray! :(

Last edited by Atom1966 on 06 Apr 2014, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2014, 8:15 am

Last night I announced that I was going swimming today. I shouldn't have done that because I didn't get round to it today. Well, maybe later this week or else next week. :D

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2014, 4:50 pm

Went to the gym again tonight, attended an introduction lesson and I actually liked it this time. 8O

I am going to receive my hefty workout program this coming Friday and I am looking forward to get started again.
Shocking!

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2014, 9:40 pm

Finally went to the pool today and swam almost a kilometer. Not bad because I haven't been swimming for years which means I covered a reasonable distance. Till so far I have been sticking to my phsysical exercise routine which means that I'm going to the gym twice a week and to the pool at least once a week. I am actually a bit proud of myself for breaking with years of almost total inactivity. I really enjoyed swimming, can't wait to go to the pool again, very relaxing.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 2:20 am

I applaud your effort to get in shape,i lost 60lbs in a year and a half after having put it on in the previous 5or6 years of doing nothing but playing video games and smoking pot.
Its important to stretch before and after workouts to avoid muscle injuries,i dont always do it myself but when i was losing weight i made it a habit at least one every couple of days.yoga is good for this.i incorporated a couple of poses in my routine and sometimes do it before i go to bed as it helps me sleep.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2014, 3:30 pm

Thanks Rob.

I have come to the conclusion that the gym is actually an ideal place for autists, especially when you are just doing fitness. People just don't talk with each other. They don't even say hello which makes things really easy and comfortable for me. It's like everyone in the gym is in a temporary autistic frame of mind and I find the ones who aren't kind of annoying. The only thing that irreated me tonight was this young couple for instance. At first they nearly started to make out with each other, which made me feel very uncomfortable and almost nauseous and the next thing they did all of a sudden were all these yoga exercises. They were clearly with their head in the clouds and at the wrong place at the wrong time. I hate yoga so I quickly removed myself from the area they where "floating" in.

As soon as I enter the gym tunnel vision sets in. I blindly go from one piece of fitness equipment to the next. The only thing I have a problem with is that I still feel a bit disoriented there. Sometimes it takes me too long for I finally find the apparatus I am supposed to look for. At first the equipment seems kind of strange and pointless but that isn't the case at all. On the contrary!
I'm beginning to like it more and more.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

Glad to hear your liking it more and more.myself I've been wanting to go to the local pool to do some laps.i was part of a swim team and competed when i was a teen it was one of the only sports where i didn't have to deal with overheating.i just have to get over the newness of it and get used to it.
I too get kind of weirded out with people making out in public,there is a time and place for it and a gym isn't one of them.
What kind of machines do you use?i would suggest some that use many muscles at the same time eg.rowing machines,elliptical. they focus on cardio instead of bulking muscle though thats if you let it.
Heavy weight +few reps=bulk
Light weight +many reps =endurance
Lol i to sometimes get tunnel vision when i go to the grocery store,i get what i came for and get out.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm

I am currently going for endurance and bulk. I chose bulk because I want to strengthen my muscles which seems to be exeptional since most women choose for a figure improvement training program or cardio. That doesn't mean that my figure doesn't need improvement. It's just not what I want to focus on right now.

I can name a couple of the machines I'm using allthough that is probably boring for others. I have been taking an introduction lesson and was given a training program afterwards.

Bike ( a sort of hometrainer)
Abdominal
Rotary Torso
Back Extention
Lat Pulldown
Leg Extension
Abductor
Adductor
Treadmill
and a couple of other machines.

I do crunches and side bends with a dumbbell as well.

Last edited by Atom1966 on 19 Apr 2014, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2014, 1:10 am

I AgreeBulk is a good way to start,more muscle burns more calories and may make cardio more effective , and figure will eventually follow with any workout.
That sounds like a pretty well rounded workout.the only machine i cant visualize is the abductor.im pretty sure I've used the others at least a few times in the past.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2014, 9:18 pm

I'm actually beginning to enjoy the whole fitness routine but what I don't like are the arrogant attitudes of some of the girls who work at the gym. Not all of them ofcourse, but some of them. I am 47 and these girls are at least 20 to 25 years younger than me. One of these girls gave me my introduction lesson. However, whenever I arrive and leave I greet these kids and she, as well as a couple of others, just don't respond at all. She doesn't say hi or goodbye or anything. It makes me wonder what I have done wrong which can't be an awful lot in this case. Aren't they supposed to have a professional attitude because they are getting paid for what they are doing, or not doing I should say. They are always sitting behind their desk which is at the entrance of that place. You can't avoid going passed them when you arrive or leave. Even I am aware of the fact that it is at the very least a sign of politeness when you greet people back. On the one hand their unpleasant behaviour makes me feel a bit angry and uncomfortable but on the other hand I couldn't care less because I don't go to the gym for their sake. I have been going there for 5 weeks now and I have finally reached the point that I know what I am suppposed to do. If something is not clear to me I just watch others and I learn more from that than any of these snotty nosed kids can teach me.I have gotten pretty tough and cynical over the years. I have learned to always expect the worst from people and unfortunately I am usually right. Don't tell me that that's a self fulfilling prophecy because it simply isn't!

The only time I have ever seen them in action is when someone has the audacity to request an introduction lesson but other than that they leave everyone to their own devices. They don't give instructions and they don't check if people are doing their exercises correctly. It doesn't make a difference wheter they are there or not. If the membership of this particular gym wasn't so cheap I would switch to another one. They wouldn't care about that anyway because it obviously makes no difference to them if the competion gets all the customers is the end. Besides, what goes around comes around.

This is not the only place that comes across as slightly unpleasant in my hometown though, which says it all.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2014, 5:46 pm

It kind of sounds like they feel lile they dont get paid enough to care,or its simply a lack of respect that os lost on most of the younger generation.my self was raised more old fasioned i will reply to a greeting or polititeness out of respect,but dont expect a conversation i might not be able to. :D