Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 7:20 pm

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions.

When I was a child, I loved running and climbing so getting in daily exercise was no problem at all. Now that I'm a little older my vision is worse and I'm less coordinated, so while I still go for the occasional run (winter or no winter) I've been looking for more options that I can do at home and that aren't too intensive. I've looked at a few workout routines, but the routine of them doesn't strike me as something that would be enjoyable to get into.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Swimming!

Even those with poor coordination and balance can learn to swim, and utilizing the many different strokes will exercise all the muscles in your body. I recommend an indoor swim center, as the water and air temperatures are usually regulated and kept at comfortable levels.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 8:24 pm

Machines*, swimming in a pool, maybe try some yoga videos from your local library, hula hoop, hiking**, plyometrics, exercise bands, tai chi, pilates, golf, kettle ball, dumb bells, balance ball exercises, pull-ups, squats, push-ups, sit-ups, wall climbing in a full harness, and snow-shoeing. That's all I can think of for now.

*rowing, treadmill, stationary bike, step, weights, and so on.

**stick to the easy, well traveled trails, and go with someone.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 10:37 am

I don't think that being clumsy means you couldn't learn a sport where you need coordination.

I've been clumsy all my life and was bad at school sport, but I was passionate about snowboarding and even though I was bad for years, I continued and got quite good at it.

It really depends what you love and where you are willing to put time into it.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 11:10 am

Yoga? Tai chi? Hand-stands? Dance?

Love transcends all.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

Syd wrote:
Swimming!

Even those with poor coordination and balance can learn to swim, and utilizing the many different strokes will exercise all the muscles in your body. I recommend an indoor swim center, as the water and air temperatures are usually regulated and kept at comfortable levels.

I might try this one.

Raziel wrote:
I don't think that being clumsy means you couldn't learn a sport where you need coordination.

I've been clumsy all my life and was bad at school sport, but I was passionate about snowboarding and even though I was bad for years, I continued and got quite good at it.

It really depends what you love and where you are willing to put time into it.

I'm not looking for a new time- and energy-consuming hobby, though. I'm looking for a way to get exercise that's a little easier on me.

animalcrackers wrote:
Yoga? Tai chi? Hand-stands? Dance?

I've thought about yoga, but I don't know where if there's a lot of classes or material out there that doesn't focus on things like (questionable) weight loss for women. It seems like it's become a bit of a fad. My area would be a good place to look for classes otherwise, because I know there are a fair number of martial arts schools, alternative spirituality shops, and similar things around here.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 2:23 am

I, personally, tried to do sports, just to improve my health and propably life.
It didn't worked, it never worked, because I wasn't passionate about it, what i did and propably my subconscious mind hated the idea somehow too. I began to ask myself what's wrong with me that I can't get myself to do those things? Is it my depression? My autism? Something else? Well, those factors play somehow a role, but the main reason is, I wasn't passionate about it.
I also noticed this behaviour on others, who try to start some project like sports for example who is supposed to improve their life and as soon as they start, they notice after a while, it's just not their life.
That's why I personally think, if you start with a sport, don't just choose a random sport you think you can do easily, do something you are really passionate about, even though it takes more time to learn. I started snowboarding for example, and even I wasn't good at it in the beginning, it hit me right away and I wanted to get better and better.

Maybe I'm wrong about it in your case, I don't know you, it's just my opinion and my experience I made.

- Raziel

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 4:18 am

I agree with yoga or Pilates because they can strengthen your core muscles. That can help coordination in my experience. Just stay away from the material not by actual yoga teachers.<cough, cough, Jillian Michaels, cough>

For cardio, I like just a basic stationary bike. Watching a good show on television while riding makes the time fly. :)

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 10:44 am

downbutnotout wrote:
I've thought about yoga, but I don't know where if there's a lot of classes or material out there that doesn't focus on things like (questionable) weight loss for women. It seems like it's become a bit of a fad. My area would be a good place to look for classes otherwise, because I know there are a fair number of martial arts schools, alternative spirituality shops, and similar things around here.

There are also many, many instructional yoga books for a variety of audiences if you don't want/need classroom instruction.

Love transcends all.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 7:13 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
downbutnotout wrote:

There are also many, many instructional yoga books for a variety of audiences if you don't want/need classroom instruction.

I'll look into it. I know someone online at least who does yoga... I think. Know any titles that fit what I'm looking for?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
Know any titles that fit what I'm looking for?

The only title I can remember is Babar's Yoga for Elephants (which I think is great to get started, but I don't know if it's anything like what you're looking for).

I just selected books from the library based almost entirely on the illustrations (I have a difficult time learning from verbal/textual instruction).

Love transcends all.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

Yoga is good, if you haven't tried it before, going to a short beginners course could be useful, because it teaches you basic exercises and how they should feel, especially important if you have any back ailments. Pilates exerts less stress on your spine.
Burpees are tough, but can be done at home and work the whole body, I'm slowly building towards 100.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:45 pm

I just bought a trampoline today and had a lot of fun using it. I'm adding trampoline to the list I gave you earlier. So much fun.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 7:02 am

I weight train. Hardly do cardio, but I move from station to station...often doing 3-4 different exercises at a time...so that gives me a cardio effect as I'm always in motion rather than standing around between sets.

Weights are about one of the few things I can do and not worry (so much) about being clumsy.

AliceKathleen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2015, 11:12 am

Hi, I was a clumsy kid for years, and always got a D in PE. hated sports or games.

However, I was determined not to be clumsy, so started taking some dance classes at the Y. Well, it works
I took ballet, hula, belly dance, jazz, and modern dance. Granted, I never got better than a beginners
or intermediate class, but my co ordination improved greatly!! Sometime about moving to music and
the structure of a dance class, the repetitions, seems to be very good for aspies.

I am a senior now, 70 years old, but I still work out 6 days a week. I want to avoid feeling weak, tipsy,
or gaining weight. But the dance classes that i started decades ago, long before I heard the word
aspie or knew what my issue was, were the key to giving me good posture, flexibility, and yes,
normal co ordination! I can even dance, play soft ball or frisbee!!

Get some videos on yoga and Pilates from your library and start a program. Trust me, exercise not only
works, but it's the Fountain of Youth, and for us, it is even more vital.

Alice
Oceanside, California

Purplepolkadots
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm

Believe it or not, horseback riding is a very good sport!! It actually Improved my coordination, and you don't need good vision (I actually know a few blind/visually impaired riders!)!
You will gain core strength, and leg strength while riding, and hauling a saddle onto a horses back will grant you arm muscles as well!!
If your country allows it, you can pay for it with disability money (if you find the right instructor, they'll give you regular lessons, but it'll count as "therapy").

P.S., what I mean by disability money is the money that the government gives you for disability therapy, services,and resources. I don't know where you are located, so you'll have to google the laws yourself