Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 1:11 pm

So I'm going on Trazadone for sleep. I was told that I won't gain weight by a medical professional, but I read that weight gain is an infrequent side affect. What do they mean be infrequent? Is it really rare?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 1:16 pm

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 1:40 pm

Going off on what BTDT mentioned, here is an in-depth answer for endocrine/metabolic effects obtained from Micromedex. The results from the clinical trials for trazodone hydrochloride oral tablets (Apotex Corp) should be listed in the product info (you know...that package insert sheet with a bunch of fine print words listing practically everything about the medication).

Weight gain
a) Incidence: 1.4% to 4.5% [34]
b) Weight gain has been reported in 1.4% to 4.5% of trazodone recipients (n=299) compared with 0% to 1.9% of placebo recipients (n=253) in clinical trials [34].

Weight loss
a) Incidence: up to 5.7% [34]
b) Weight loss has been reported in up to 5.7% of trazodone recipients (n=299) compared with 2.5% to 3.2% of placebo recipients (n=253) in clinical trials [34].

[34] Product Information: trazodone hydrochloride oral tablets, trazodone hydrochloride oral tablets. Apotex Corp., Weston, FL, 2009.

As you can see, 1.4%-4.5% of 299 trazodone recipients experienced weight gain during the trial, which is approximately 4-13 people in a sample size of 299. If your physician informed you that you will not gain any weight, then that's misleading according to the evidence. However, there is a small likelihood that you will depending on other factors, like genes, concurrent medications etc.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 4:08 pm

Beau wrote:
Going off on what BTDT mentioned, here is an in-depth answer for endocrine/metabolic effects obtained from Micromedex. The results from the clinical trials for trazodone hydrochloride oral tablets (Apotex Corp) should be listed in the product info (you know...that package insert sheet with a bunch of fine print words listing practically everything about the medication).

Weight gain
a) Incidence: 1.4% to 4.5% [34]
b) Weight gain has been reported in 1.4% to 4.5% of trazodone recipients (n=299) compared with 0% to 1.9% of placebo recipients (n=253) in clinical trials [34].

Weight loss
a) Incidence: up to 5.7% [34]
b) Weight loss has been reported in up to 5.7% of trazodone recipients (n=299) compared with 2.5% to 3.2% of placebo recipients (n=253) in clinical trials [34].

[34] Product Information: trazodone hydrochloride oral tablets, trazodone hydrochloride oral tablets. Apotex Corp., Weston, FL, 2009.

As you can see, 1.4%-4.5% of 299 trazodone recipients experienced weight gain during the trial, which is approximately 4-13 people in a sample size of 299. If your physician informed you that you will not gain any weight, then that's misleading according to the evidence. However, there is a small likelihood that you will depending on other factors, like genes, concurrent medications etc.

That sucks because I really need to have some appeal and something that makes me marketable to the opposite gender.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 5:39 pm

Hey xxZeromancerlovexx.

I might've been unclear, so please let me clarify: based on the data, there was a small percentage of participants who experienced weight gain; this does not mean that you will. I'd suggest that you talk further with your physician about this potential side effect to determine the best plan for you.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 1:37 pm

Beau wrote:
Hey xxZeromancerlovexx.

I might've been unclear, so please let me clarify: based on the data, there was a small percentage of participants who experienced weight gain; this does not mean that you will. I'd suggest that you talk further with your physician about this potential side effect to determine the best plan for you.

14-13 people isn't a lot. I'd say that the chance of me gaining weight is slim to none when I think about it. There are probably thousands of people who take it and haven't gained weight.

I need clothes and fashion in my life, but it seems as though I'll never get to have it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jun 2015, 8:35 pm

I didn't gain any weight from it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition