Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 2:58 pm

The normal range is given as 70-110 mg/dL, but as I understand it, the ADA, but not the WHO, sets the level for prediabetes at 100-125 mg/dL, while the WHO sets it at 110-125 mg/dL. Per the ADA, I'm one off from having prediabetes.

Nevertheless, I see that being in the upper 90s is "high normal" and suggests a heightened risk for developing diabetes.

I also asked my doctor to check for lipids, but he only checked for comprehensive metabolic panel. This was my psychiatrist, who has me on 800 mg/day of Seroquel.

My weight has gained a good bit recently and last time lipids were checked, triglycerides and VLDL cholesterol were high and HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) was low.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

i hope you've succeeded in getting your cholesterol checked by now.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

25 Jan 2016, 7:35 am

You should talk to your doctor about getting a hemoglobin a1c blood test. The a1c is a more accurate indicator of your average daily glucose level. Given, your weight gain, hdl, ldl and triglycerides you may want to consider a change in your diet and exercise routine.

Try switching to a low glycemic index diet. This means, less bread, potatoes, rice, noodles and sugar. Over time, you will lose weight and have better glucose control. The diabetes web sites have great information on healthy diets. Also, try to replace animal based protein with plant base protein. Lentils are a good place to start.

Eating a few small meals and snacks during the day is much healthier than having a large meal at the end of the day. The diabetes web sites go into this in great detail.

Note: The original post is a year old. Still, it is good information. Eating right at a young age will pay off big time as you age.

Healthy Breakfast Salad

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

frozenintime
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2016, 9:07 pm

Vegan style diets[cutting out animal products] have been shown to increase insulin sensitivity, which in turn will lower fasting glucose. Check out youtube videos by Doctors Neal Bernard and John Mcdougall.