Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

Hello I am new member in wrong planet and I want to share with you my experience on sports. My name is Michael I am 23 years old and I diagnosed with asperger and adhd when I was 8 years old but I learnt it one year ago because my parents didn't say and they don't accept that. I was born with low muscle tone,flat feet and I had poor coordination I walked like a dude until 12 and I wasn't athletic. At the 4 first grades of primary school I didn't participate in any sport I was running alone at breaks and in home fluttering my hands. Although I was hyperactive and fast at running races of my class I was coming out last. At the 2 last grades of primary school I watched my classmates to play football but I didn't participate. At highschool I tried to participates into teamsports(football and basketball). At football I was the worst player only as a goalkeeper I was a little better but I wasn't good. At basketball I was a little better than football but I wasn't good. I said to my parents that I want to participate at teamsports and they told me that I will be never been athletic because of the muscle tone and poor coordination and when I told them that I want to improve they told me about the bad marks at school, they discouraged me I gave up (at sports and in lessons) and I depressed until the age of 16. At this age I was working as a gardener for 3 mounths and after that I started work out at home for 2 years and I also studied for panhelenic exams in order to pass at univercity. When I graduated from highschool I started to go to the gym and I was going for 3 years after that I stopped because I wanted to emphasise in lessons at univercity and I worked out at home.

I read that people with aspergers syndrome born with poor coordination and they have difficalties at sports (especially team sports) and this is true for me I sucked at football and basketball Ι learned bicycle when I was 11 years old because I also had ballance problems, but I was not bad at all sports I tried to play tennis and ping pong and I wasn't bad, at swimming I am good, at gym I haven't any problem, I am strong, I can run fast short distances but no long distances, I can walk long distances without tired and I am thinking to start a martial art but I don't know which martial art to choose.

Is there any aspie here athletic on team sports or indivindual sports what are your sports experiences are you naturally athletic or did you begin with a lot of practise?

Sorry about my bad english I am greek and my english level is average.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

Welcome to WP! I played soccer when I was little, and I basically just ran after the people while being lost in my own world. I have always been bad at sports.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2016, 3:13 pm

TheAP wrote:
Welcome to WP! I played soccer when I was little, and I basically just ran after the people while being lost in my own world. I have always been bad at sports.

Did you play on team or only at school? your teammates treated well to you?

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

I started playing soccer when I was about 5. I wasn't the best player but I wasn't bad either. I could follow what was going on pretty well. I played every season until second grade. I tried soccer again in 7th grade and did alright. I got decent playing time. I played basketball in 5th and 6th grades. I was better at soccer than basketball. I played baseball in 8th grade but wasn't good at that. I also ran track in 8th grade and did okay. I ran the 2 mile without puking after or coming in last. We had to play volleyball in gym and I was terrible at it. I was probably best at golf. I played from the ages 7-14 and got a few trophies.

My mom did say I used to walk like an elephant because I put my whole foot down at once instead of heel to toe. I can walk normally now without conscious effort but going up and down stairs and hills I walk on my toes only. I also watch my feet when walking on stairs or uneven surfaces to reduce the chance of tripping.

I learned how to ride a bike at the typical age but until I was probably 9 or 10, I would go really slow down any hills by holding the brake the entire way down. I also had my share of bike accidents, the most memorable being when I ran into a mailbox.

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html

-Socially awkward and special interests don't mean autism.-

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

NoName93 wrote:

When I was little I did play on a team. Mostly the other kids ignored me. Some of them were in my class, which I liked.

School sports were a mixed bag. Sometimes I enjoyed it, but I was never very good at it. In the early years my classmates sometimes made fun of me, and I was picked last the one time we did it like that. In middle school and high school they were more supportive. I would get frustrated and yell out when I had trouble doing the activities.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm

TheAP wrote:
NoName93 wrote:

When I was little I did play on a team. Mostly the other kids ignored me. Some of them were in my class, which I liked.

School sports were a mixed bag. Sometimes I enjoyed it, but I was never very good at it. In the early years my classmates sometimes made fun of me, and I was picked last the one time we did it like that. In middle school and high school they were more supportive. I would get frustrated and yell out when I had trouble doing the activities.

the same at me at the first grades of highschool they yell me I didn't play on team only at school at the last grades they asked me if I want to play and were more supportive but I never was good at football at basketball was better than football but I wasn't good

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

I remember playing team sports in public school gym class. I kinda hated it, but sometimes it was nice just to run around and burn off some energy. There were SOME sports I sorta enjoyed, like rounders and baseball, and I didn't mind floor hockey either. I also enjoyed badminton aside from the fact that I couldn't serve worth a s**t. I was never that great at most of the sports we played, and I was *that kid* who always tended to get picked last.

Really, aside from my poor physical coordination and lack of stamina, I think my biggest issue when it comes to playing sports is teamwork; I can't work in a team to save my life, unless I'm only grouped up with like one other person whom I am friends with. But in big team sports, or online games, I often find myself ignoring the rest of my team, and doing my own thing instead.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2016, 4:03 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I remember playing team sports in public school gym class. I kinda hated it, but sometimes it was nice just to run around and burn off some energy. There were SOME sports I sorta enjoyed, like rounders and baseball, and I didn't mind floor hockey either. I also enjoyed badminton aside from the fact that I couldn't serve worth a s**t. I was never that great at most of the sports we played, and I was *that kid* who always tended to get picked last.

Really, aside from my poor physical coordination and lack of stamina, I think my biggest issue when it comes to playing sports is teamwork; I can't work in a team to save my life, unless I'm only grouped up with like one other person whom I am friends with. But in big team sports, or online games, I often find myself ignoring the rest of my team, and doing my own thing instead.

Just like me on idivintual sports I am better than team sports but I enjoy team sports and I am better on these when my teammates are supportive when are not supported I stress and I don't play well

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 4:04 pm

Taekwondo at age 13-14 years, and sport shooting since age 40 years. A complete klutz otherwise.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2016, 4:27 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Taekwondo at age 13-14 years, and sport shooting since age 40 years. A complete klutz otherwise.

I read that martial arts are the most apropiate sports for people with aspergers syndrome I want to start a martial art but I have to take univercity degree I don't know which martial arts to choose I want martial arts only for self defence

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:34 pm

I played Football (American) in High School for two years. One of my biggest struggles was caring because I loved the sport but didn't know anyone on the team, didn't have any friends in my school so I didn't try very hard.

I was pretty good at it when I played outside with my friends. Wasn't too bad at baseball either, though I never played in any organized way. I always threw very well. I liked floor hockey too, but couldn't play the real thing because no way I could actually skate.

While I did those things, I can't ride a bike, skate (any kind), or swim. So I'm certainly not athletic.

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm

One of oddities that therapists pointed out given that I was playing the highest level leagues in both soccer and hockey.

The reason wasn't so difficult to explain. I started out physically awkward. I had an Irish father who took sports too seriously.

Anyone gets real good real fast when avoiding getting hit after each game.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:44 pm

I'm naturally athletic, but not with team sports. I suck at team sports, perhaps because it requires group effort and instinctual interaction with others.

I'm naturally strong, coordinated, have good proprioception, and excellent balance. It runs in the family.

I'm not sure why I am not uncoordinated like most aspies. I'm guessing that I have another form of ASD that is caused by different genes. I have very good fine motor skills as well.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 11:35 pm

Team sport was just never for me. I just never had the situational awareness, and very quickly got fed up with reluctantly being chosen last for every team and never being passed the ball. To make things worse, I needed glasses, which I wasn't allowed to wear on the sports field (for safety) - but that didn't stop anyone from mocking me for not being able to catch or kick/throw straight.

Individual sports I was a little more into - I was a pretty fast runner up to about the 400m distance, and lanky enough to be OK at the long jump (lots of practice running away from bullies maybe?) But even there, my proprioception and gait were simply not good enough to excel for very long - training more really didn't improve my performance very much compared to the kids around me.

I've also just never been competitive in a sporting way either. I just don't care who can make a ball go inside a net the most times, or who can run fastest. I've never been a sports spectator for the same reason - and I really don't understand the kind of tribalism that many people exhibit when supporting "their" team.

After school I tried rock-climbing and caving/pot-holing (or spelunking as Americans would call it - lovely word!). The climbing, I didn't really have the proprioception or balance to get very good, and could never lead - though I did enjoy it.

Caving, I really took to - the environment is so unlike anything above ground that elegance and grace simply don't come into it - brute force and ignorance works as well if not better! Perfect for a clumsy soul like me. I did that for quite a few years - even leading many trips eventually. And the team work was non-competitive - it is just humans versus nature, with every person's attributes, even novices, equally important for a safe trip.

Caving seems to attract a certain kind of person, I think - I'd be willing to bet that there's a greater proportion of people on the spectrum among cavers than in the general population. Me and others in the club I was in even did it solo fairly regularly. The bizarre environment underground didn't seem half as strange as the human society up on the surface to me, that's for sure!

These days - I just get out into the countryside for plenty of walking. It's the best exercise and meditation there is in my opinion, and I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where access to the countryside is easy, and the paths nice and quiet. It's the only thing that keeps me from being a couch-potato these days.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2016, 2:39 am

DrHouseHasAspergers wrote:

My mom did say I used to walk like an elephant because I put my whole foot down at once instead of heel to toe. I can walk normally now without conscious effort but going up and down stairs and hills I walk on my toes only. I also watch my feet when walking on stairs or uneven surfaces to reduce the chance of tripping.

Haha my mom said that I used to walk like a duck and my sister said(and say) that I run like an elephant

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2016, 2:46 am

killerBunny wrote:
One of oddities that therapists pointed out given that I was playing the highest level leagues in both soccer and hockey.

The reason wasn't so difficult to explain. I started out physically awkward. I had an Irish father who took sports too seriously.

Anyone gets real good real fast when avoiding getting hit after each game.

Right and I didn't try hard to be good at team sports and I don't know if I would become good if I tried hard. Did you try hard to be good at football and hockey?